Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anybody could give me a clue what causes thumping/clunking noise on my 97' seville STS.
It seems that whenever I go over little (yes, very little) bumps or potholes, there's always a noise that sounds like some kinda plastic panel hitting the underbody or something. What are the possible causes for this noise?? I read a thread about the swaybar bushing or something but I can't seem to locate where the noise comes from.
Please help!!
Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Without the location of the noise, its really hard to determine it.....

Sway bar bushings sound like a good start..... Does it sound like its coming from anterior the front wheels, even with, or posterior of the front wheels......

Welcome to the forums.... Thanks for siging up :wave:

·
Registered
97 Eldorado, 01 Deville
34 Posts
Hey, I have the same problem on my 97 Eldorado. When I go over seams in the pavement, small rough places or small pot holes, I get a clunking noise from what sounds like the front end. It is driving me crazy!

I have checked under the dash, the doors, under the hood and as much as I can under the car. I have to change the oil here pretty soon and will have it up on a rack, so may I can look around and see what is going on. Wish I could help, but this has me stumped so far.

If I find anything, I will post it here for you. Hopefully we will locate the noise.

redeldo

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Ironically, im having the same thing with my car (94 infiniti Q45).... Its REALLY driving me crazy!!!! :bonkers:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Took it to the dealership

and the tech guy couldn't get the noise after taking the car for a test drive!!
They didn't even put the car on a lift.
The worse thing is that I got stuck on a highway for 2 1/2 hours on my way back from the dealership. (usually, it'd only take 15 minutes or so)
For now all I can do is keep the radio volume high while driving so the noise won't kill anymore of my brain cells. :-(

Thanks guys for replies and please let me know if any of you sort it out and find out what the problem is. Well, tires on my STS are pretty bald. could it possibly be the cause? It doesn't seem like the noise is coming from the shocks cuz I know what it sounds like when shocks/control arms go bad.

Gino.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
If it was your tires it would be a constant sound that would speed up and slow down with the speed of the car. If you need new tires anyways then that would be a good opportunity to have a look.
The last time I was in B.C. I didnt notice any "Active Green & Ross" service stations. But if they are out there then I would surely recomend them. Ive had nothing but great results from them. Once your car is on the hoist for the new tires have a look at things and ask the guy some questions. Tell him what your hearing and maybe he will know what to look at and be able to help you out.
But please stay clear of Canadian Tire. Ive had nothing but nightmare after nightmare from them.
It could be a loose heat shield rattling around. Or even....Forgive me for asking but did you check your trunk for loose cargo ? Sounds can echo and decieve you. I know its happened to me. Think its coming from the left front when its actually coming from closer to the rear right.
Maybe even have a friend stand (Or lie down, depending how brave he is) by a small bump that you know makes the car knock and listen for where its coming from. He could even hang out one of the doors with his head close to the ground looking under.
I personally wouldnt just turn up the radio. If it is something serious it will only get worse and could lead to a whole lot more problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
REDELDO said:
Hey, I have the same problem on my 97 Eldorado. When I go over seams in the pavement, small rough places or small pot holes, I get a clunking noise from what sounds like the front end. It is driving me crazy!

I have checked under the dash, the doors, under the hood and as much as I can under the car. I have to change the oil here pretty soon and will have it up on a rack, so may I can look around and see what is going on. Wish I could help, but this has me stumped so far.

If I find anything, I will post it here for you. Hopefully we will locate the noise.

redeldo
hello, i have a 94 seville sls with 78k on it. i had the clunking/thumping sound coming form my front end as well. it didnt effect the performance at all but it drove me crazy over any little bump. i called my local caddy dealer in sarasota fl. my service guy knew right away, i had to replace the sway bar linkage, it just gets worn over time. my car is it 78k. cost $240 at the caddy garage, but was well worth, its quite as can be now. maybe its your problem as well or something esle. good luck [email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
asudevil2001 said:
hello, i have a 94 seville sls with 78k on it. i had the clunking/thumping sound coming form my front end as well. it didnt effect the performance at all but it drove me crazy over any little bump. i called my local caddy dealer in sarasota fl. my service guy knew right away, i had to replace the sway bar linkage, it just gets worn over time. my car is at 78k. cost $240 at the caddy garage, but was well worth, its quite as can be now. maybe its your problem as well or something esle. good luck [email protected]
opps, I meant stablizer links, not sway bar.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Its either sway bar bushings/endlinks or a sloppy tie rod end. Both are pretty cheap and easy to fix yourslef.

-Eli

1 - 11 of 11 Posts