Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 cts, 2000 catera
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. 04 CTS 3.6 84000 miles . a month ago daughter was driving the car on the highway when she said the car lost power like she took her foot of gas, she pulled off the road shut the car off and restarted, then the car was ok, this happed 2 times about 10 min apart. 2 days ago Wife got in car to come home from work , she said car reved up high several times CEL came on , the car bucked and surged all the way home. I started it when she got home and it was surging at idle. I rent a scaner and it gave me codes p2176, p0121, p0507. I was able to clear the codes , the car seems to be running ok for now . Any help would be great thanks.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
Did you check what the codes mean?
Google gm obd2 codes and you will get a list of pages
That translate the codes, or search on here for other posts
With code problems and there may be a link in them.
I have heard of this happening to some others but
Unsure what the solution is. I don't know if they got
Codes when theirs happened

·
Registered
2004 cts, 2000 catera
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sry took so long , I got the codes off the scaner ,P2176; TAC system idle position not learned ,Pp0507; idle control system RPM high , P0121; TPS/pedal position sensor A ckt range/perf . I hope this helps .

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
P2176 sounds like you need the dealer to update
The idle software and re-flash it,I had that done on my 03
Also that is most likely the cause of your second
Code p0507 for rpm too high
Which could cause your peddle sensor to read incorrectly
P0121
Or.....

The reverse...
Your peddle sensor p0121 could be throwing off the
Other 2 codes. Which is possible by the description
Of your issues.

I would start with the re-flash because I know a
Few others on here had that done, but mine was not for
Any specific reason, I just heard there was a 2003
Throttle update

·
Registered
2004 cts, 2000 catera
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had trouble with the car 2yrs ago ,same kind of trouble ,like you took foot off gas , would only go about 10 miles per hr. dealer replaced Throttle body, and Harness. I think they said there was a bulletin out on those items. This has been an ongoing problem , now no warranty, so I better learn how to fix it .

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
18 Posts
Did you find a solution to your problem? Did taking it to the dealership and having them "re-flash" it make a difference? I am in the same boat as you.

·
Registered
CTS 2003
19 Posts
I have the same problem. i just had a mechanic replace the throttle body last week and was good for 4 days and then the same problem started up again. I have no clue what to do next. I originally took my car in to cadillac and they said it was a faulty censor on the throttle body. So I bought the part and had a shop replace it.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
18 Posts
Ok, I have been battling this problem for quite some time now. I had replaced the throttle body, transmission control module (TCM), as well as cleaning many wire connections. Finally I got around to changing the wiring harness that leads into the throttle body. It looked like the previous owner had already replaced it so I wasn't thinking that could be the problem. I replaced the harness back on Wednesday and the car has been driving perfectly since (fingers crossed).

I think there is a systemic problem with the wiring harness on the CTS cars. The dealership even had it in stock (almost $100, RIP OFF) and my dealership never has anything in stock for my car, which makes me think that they know there is something wrong. So to fix your problem, try getting a new wiring harness leading into the throttle body.

·
Registered
2004 cts, 2000 catera
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It would be worth a hundred bucks to me , I sure hope that takes care of it . I'm calling for a price monday . Thanks for info.

·
Registered
CTS 2003
19 Posts
Ok, I have been battling this problem for quite some time now. I had replaced the throttle body, transmission control module (TCM), as well as cleaning many wire connections. Finally I got around to changing the wiring harness that leads into the throttle body. It looked like the previous owner had already replaced it so I wasn't thinking that could be the problem. I replaced the harness back on Wednesday and the car has been driving perfectly since (fingers crossed).

I think there is a systemic problem with the wiring harness on the CTS cars. The dealership even had it in stock (almost $100, RIP OFF) and my dealership never has anything in stock for my car, which makes me think that they know there is something wrong. So to fix your problem, try getting a new wiring harness leading into the throttle body.

Hey Trotter8 did changing the wiring harness end up working?

·
Registered
2004 cts, 2000 catera
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i orderd a new conector and they sent me the wrong one, also the right conector was on back order. So in the mean time I didn't like the crimp type splices the dealer used, I soldered the wires . Now it's been over a month and the car is running fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts