Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1993 cadillac deville
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, i've read the thread's on this issue but havent come accross or maybe overlooked, the info i need.

i took my car to the shop because i keep getting this e70 code. i took it to the shop and the mechanic quoted me $439.00. i looked on the net and so the part was only 50.00. does this quote sound right?

Can anyone tell me how to replace it myself...if it's not too complicated that is.

·
Registered
'87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL
879 Posts
There are a couple of screws and the electrical connector. But once the thing is installed there are procedures to go through to adjust it to the proper specs so the ECM doesn't go crazy. May I suggest you buy a Factory Service Manual for the car? Helm Inc has it for $100 and there is 1 one ebay for $85. It will pay for itself very quickly and is a needed tool for a Cadillac owner who does his own work.
Look at the 'tags' below the post. The procedures will be on one of them.

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts
hello all, i've read the thread's on this issue but havent come accross or maybe overlooked, the info i need.

i took my car to the shop because i keep getting this e70 code. i took it to the shop and the mechanic quoted me $439.00. i looked on the net and so the part was only 50.00. does this quote sound right?

Can anyone tell me how to replace it myself...if it's not too complicated that is.
I had my TB cleaned, EGR checked, and TP sensor changed for about $500. That sounds about right.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
:eek: OMG you guys, I'm in the wrong business. $500 for that iddy-biddy job? My whole car cost less than that. DIY is not that hard to replace the TPS and clean the throttle body stuff. I'm a 60 year old woman with gray hair. If I can do it, so can you, if you have the desire to. Saving the $$$ would certainly motivate me. You'd need a set of Torx drivers, tho and read up on the procedures.

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts
Yeah, but the major part of the cost was trying to diagnose the problem, so they spent a lot of time driving the car. They should have paid me to drive that baby ;P

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
Goodness, what's to diagnose? E70-intermittent TPS signal. (duh!) Couldn't they read their FSM? Guess not. They weren't diagnosing your car by driving it, they were taking u for a ride. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts
No, those guys are good. They're older and know what they're doing. The problem is we had already tried stuff like injectors, trans, and a bunch of other stuff. Turn out it was the timing, so they fixed that after for free.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
Every TPS I ever worked on was an hour job. I don't know if there is anything different with these 4.9's that would make it more difficult. $439 sounds like a tidy profit. I suppose it isn't worth pulling a car into a bay unless they make a couple hundred. I have always heard all my life that Cadillacs are expensive to fix. It may be that mechanics know that a Cadillac owner that doesn't want to get his hands dirty will pay big bucks. You have to do what you have to do. I wouldn't necessarily try to save money by using any shade tree mechanic that may not have experience with Caddys. Good luck.

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts
My guys are good. They are experienced with American cars, as they have been working on them their entire lives. The TPS wasn't really the problem, but it was possible that it was. Like I said, we paid for the diagnosis more than the fix, as it was a sketchy problem. I'm personally glad that I finally found a good garage.

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
I would try to replace the TPS yourself if you know its the problem, I replaced mine and didn't even use the FSM to adjust it. I just did it by ear and its been running fine since

·
Registered
1990 DeVille
181 Posts
I've replaced and then calibrated the TPS on several cars, and it's never taken more than an hour to get the job done - even when I used only a DVM to do the adjustment and then did a road test. At $80/hour for labor and $50 for the part, this should be a $130 job.

It's important that the TPS correctly generate a WOT signal and an idle signal. In most modern cars, everything in between can be "learned" by the computer. An error in WOT will reduce performance and an error at idle will make it difficult to smooth it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts