Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'92 Seville. If I'm driving in traffic and I'm coasting at about 20mph or so and I hit the brake the car will die. If I'm driving and going about 60 or so and I tap the brake the tach will drop about 500-600rpm and then as soon as I hit the gas it will jump back up to where it should be.

If I start the car up, put it in reverse, back up and hit the brake to put it in park (while going about 5mph, 1k rmp) sometimes it will die.

Sometimes it doesn't do any of these things and it will drive fine. This problem has been going on for about three months (I don't drive the car very much, < 200 miles a month, so I haven't bothered to fix it or get it looked at) I pretty much drive the car like a standard... keeping the rpms at about 800-1k at stop light with the right foot and keeping the brake applied with the left foot.

I have the E026 - Shorted Throttle Signal Switch, in history and it seems logical that this would be it but I wanted to know if anyone has had a similar problem and what they did to fix it?

Also, if it is the TSS how hard is this to fix? Will the computer have to relearn anything etc?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Get the TPS issue resolved and then if the stalling issue persists, we'll talk. Anytime you have an OBVIOUS fault, I would suggest repairing that first before wasting your time pursuing additional diagnostics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS?) the same thing as the Throttle Signal Switch? If so where is it located?

Thanks

Katshot said:
Get the TPS issue resolved and then if the stalling issue persists, we'll talk. Anytime you have an OBVIOUS fault, I would suggest repairing that first before wasting your time pursuing additional diagnostics.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Throttle signal switch is the nose switch in the Idle Speed Control Motor on the side of the throttle body. If you don't want to take it apart and clean everything, pop a new one on. That should clear up your idle problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the TPS and the TSS the same thing?

thanks

El Dobro said:
Throttle signal switch is the nose switch in the Idle Speed Control Motor on the side of the throttle body. If you don't want to take it apart and clean everything, pop a new one on. That should clear up your idle problems.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
gunganine said:
Are the TPS and the TSS the same thing?

thanks
I second that question. Is there anyway someone can go into detail about this subject maybe with pictures??????

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
El Dobro said:
No, they are different. The TSS is inside the ISC motor. It lets the PCM know when to idle the car down.
Sorry El Dobro not to be a pain but can you make it more simplier than that and describe what the tss,isc, etc..........................

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The ISC motor is on the radiator side of the throttle body. It adjusts your idle speed and keeps the throttle from closing fast when you back off of the gas pedal. Inside of it is the throttle signal switch. The plunger that sticks out the end of it and goes up against the throttle lever can move in and out. The switch is attached to the plunger. When you take your foot off of the gas pedal. The throttle lever hits the plunger and it in turn hits the switch, which tells the computer to idle the engine. The plunger backs down into the ISC and brings the engine to idle, when all is working like it's suppose to. The ISC assembly can act up now and then from wear, corrosion, etc. When that happens, you can get an erratic idle. If you're good at messing around with mechanical things, you can take it apart and clean and relube it. If you don't want to mess with it, you can pick a new one up at the dealer or the auto parts store.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
El Dobro said:
If you get a new ISC motor, take the old one apart and you'll see the switch and how it works.
thanks for the help. This weekend is going to be BIG for me i have a shit load of error codes to fix. Picked up the chiltons yesterday and have my garage all set to have some fun. Ill post a new thread on monday with everything that i have done and what are the codes that are still left

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You may also want to do yourself a favor and look for the factory manual on eBay or something. Those Chilton books are a joke when it comes to Cadillacs.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
El Dobro said:
You may also want to do yourself a favor and look for the factory manual on eBay or something. Those Chilton books are a joke when it comes to Cadillacs.
I needed it for this weekend and i got a good deal on it. When i was looking through it it had all the stuff i needed to know and more. I have been told that before. That is my next step. The reason for the chiltons is it covers all domestics from 88-92, my car, womans car, friends car. were all set.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts