Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 DeVille
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, just had another quick question.. Is it normal to hear a slight, hmm, I don't really know how to explain the sound, "rumbling" sound or "puttering" faint sound when throttle depressed? Car accelerates perfectly, starts fine, nothing wrong to speak of other than this throttle sound.. It ONLY occurs when throttle is depressed, and as motor rev's up the puttering sound will correlate with it in tandem.. The two other DeVille's I test drove had a similar throttle sound, and it dosen't really bother me, however Im just asking because if it IS indeed abnormal I want to have it checked out..

I know perhaps you're thinking its just the sound of the motor revving, but it is not, its a different sound, very hard to describe.. one of my friends said it could be an exhaust leak... an exhaust leak coming from the motor??? that possible?? any help would be greatly appreciated...

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,118 Posts
An exhaust leak would have to come from the exhaust system. Closest it could get to the motor is the exhaust manifold. Hard to say if what you're hearing is normal or not.

·
Registered
2002 DeVille
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An exhaust leak would have to come from the exhaust system. Closest it could get to the motor is the exhaust manifold. Hard to say if what you're hearing is normal or not.
..thanks.. but do you comprehend or understand the sound as Im describing it or no??? its such a simple sound but so hard to describe.. i did my best thou..

perhaps a better way to phrase the question would be, other than the sound of the engine revving, would it be "normal" or "out of the ordinary" to hear ANY sort of other "sound" coming from the engine while accelerator depressed?!? thanks ranger..

Submariner any idea???

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,118 Posts
No, I'm really not picking up what you're putting down, but the only sound you should hear is the intake or induction sound.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,516 Posts
Hmmmmmmm........With the windows open or shut......in front of you or toward the rear.......Where I'm going is the faint puttering that comes from the muffler weep holes on some cars. It's not a "tic - tic - tic" like an exhaust manifold gasket leak - it's a softer ill-defined noise. Also, entirely possible that the 4-bolt cat flange gasket is leaking.

..........even the Seville/Deville stock air intake tract is not all that quiet, either........I did a lot of work on mine and it positively roars on WOT, but it's not bad normally.

·
Registered
2002 DeVille
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for reply.. sound can be heard more clearly when windows UP, but noise is there regardless if up/down.. The sound is coming from the FRONT of the car, toward the rear of the motor (closer to cabin).. yeah and its def not a tic tic type sound, more like a soft, puttering noise , again coming from the front of the car, seemingly around the rear area of the motor, almost imagine starting at center-dash, then go forward to motor.. right there... any idea??

·
Registered
2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd
436 Posts
Mine makes a soft noise like a gerbel wheel turning at very low speeds, but it sounds like it's to the left of the engine.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,516 Posts
This is a SWAG (Scientific Wild-Ass Guess) - but check out the EGR valve - have an assistant start the car, with the engine cover off, hold the brake and gently accelerate the engine speed with no load and then in D. Listen around the EGR gasket at the rear right (from the front of the car) area. It's either the EGR or the piping which ducts secondary A.I.R. to one of the exhaust manifolds. (The A.I.R. solenoids/actuators are the round topped things on the top of the rear cam cover and down near the water pump/lower radiator hose. They connect to the exhaust manifolds with a convoluted metal pipe.) A small leak either place goes "putt - putt - putt".)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts