Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have suggestions on cleaning the throtttle body? How often should it be done? While cleaning, does it throw a code??
Worthwhile to do?

·
Registered
'01 Pearl White - Sold 10/11, '09 Raven Black :)
737 Posts
I discovered that it kinda fixes rough idling and also give you smoother acceleration. I personally would do it once every 4 to 6 months but thats me. BTW, it would not get you any better mpg just so you know. It should not throw a code at all as well.

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
Have someone stand on the accelerator (with engine OFF) to open the valve. Stuff a clean lint free rag into the throat of the TB. Spray it thoroughly using TB cleaner (not carb cleaner or brake cleaner). Pay attention to get ALL the mess off the valve and the opening of the TB. I use the entire can of spray, and if necessary a clean soft bristled tooth brush to loosen the coke up and help remove it. When you're done, remember to remove the rag. It's worth doing to clean the inside of the air intake tube and change the filter while you're at the task.

It will cure most rough idle problems and improve fuel mileage. Every 6 months is a good idea. If you're running a CAI kit that sucks in a lot of dirt you may check it more often.

·
Registered
2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey rolex.....whats the reason for the rag??? Is it to soak up the mess??
Should it also be done as well with the motor running, at least thats what my neighbor has done on his vehicles.
Just curious. Don't want to harm anything.
THANKS

·
Registered
04 ESV
209 Posts
^^keeps all the gunk from going into your motor. If you do it with your car running...its not optimal to have the car at WOT for the amount of time needed to properly clean it.

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
Hey rolex.....whats the reason for the rag??? Is it to soak up the mess??
Should it also be done as well with the motor running, at least thats what my neighbor has done on his vehicles.
Just curious. Don't want to harm anything.
THANKS

^^keeps all the gunk from going into your motor. If you do it with your car running...its not optimal to have the car at WOT for the amount of time needed to properly clean it.
:yeah:

That black coked up junk is what you try to filter and keep out of the engine. It doesn't make much sense to allow your runoff to drain down in the engine and take all that build up with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts