Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here again guys. With a new issue....
2002 Cadillac Escalade ext - 6.0 with 315k on the dash.

Just got the truck a few weeks ago.
Iv had to do a lil work but I'm only invested 1800ish in it so far..... That's purchase of the vehicle and everything.

Truck has been driving very good the last few days - went on a 1500 Mike round trip with no issue.....
Except.......
This seem to happen only when cold..... ( It has not done it on warm days )
When I first fire the truck up in the morning - it throws it self into reduced power mode..... I'll let it run a few mins - turn it off - wiggle the connection at the throttle body and then restart it and it's cleared up. ( Won't come back until next morning when completely cold ).... When this happens it throws codes - p1515 and p1518.
It seem to be a connection issue but I would like to check with y'all and here y'all's points of views.....
When the engine goes into - power reduced mode - you can tell it's not running right - sounds ruff..... But once I get the light to turn off - everything returns to normal.

Also note - this truck idles low ( has since I got it ) 650 ish rpms - ( code reader reports - 575 ish ) dash 675ish. Doesn't seem to effect anything just wanted to note it and seem if it's normal.

Also ( this maybe in my head ) but the engine sounded like it had a ( sputtering misfire ) at part throttle - it is not a hard misfire...... Then again the exhaust is cut ( right at the muffler ) so it maybe just the way it sounds......
But today was the first day I noticed it...... Like I said definitely wasn't down a cylinder but sounded a lil sputtery today.....

Any advice. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,175 Posts
How are you reading the 650 ish different of the code reader 575 ish and the dash 675 ish? Ish doesn't look right to me.

·
Registered
310 Posts
P1515 CADILLAC Possible Causes 1.Poor connection at the Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) module 2.Faulty TAC module 3.Faulty Throttle Pedal Position (TPP) or Throttle Position (TPS) sensors 4.Binding or bent throttle plate=failed throttle body

P1518 CADILLAC Possible Causes 1.Dead or weak battery 2.Faulty Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) module 3.Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) module harness is open or shorted 4.Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) module circuit poor electrical connection 5.Check Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) module connector for water

Sounds like a bad connection, probably a dirty connector or a short somewhere maybe where it goes into the connector or somewhere in the wire. Since you said it' s in the morning maybe condensation is getting into the connector end causing it to act up. Might just also be a loose connection, try jiggling the connector and then jiggle the wire by the connector and see if it does anything. Hope this helpful have a good one.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Idling RPMs anything under 600RPMs isn't the best but not the worst. Mine idles around 540 RPMs and it struggles a little bit but not too bad. I say anything under 500 RPMs it will struggle really bad and will probably stall.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,430 Posts
Here again guys. With a new issue....
2002 Cadillac Escalade ext - 6.0 with 315k on the dash.

Just got the truck a few weeks ago.
Iv had to do a lil work but I'm only invested 1800ish in it so far..... That's purchase of the vehicle and everything.

Truck has been driving very good the last few days - went on a 1500 Mike round trip with no issue.....
Except.......
This seem to happen only when cold..... ( It has not done it on warm days )
When I first fire the truck up in the morning - it throws it self into reduced power mode..... I'll let it run a few mins - turn it off - wiggle the connection at the throttle body and then restart it and it's cleared up. ( Won't come back until next morning when completely cold ).... When this happens it throws codes - p1515 and p1518.
It seem to be a connection issue but I would like to check with y'all and here y'all's points of views.....
When the engine goes into - power reduced mode - you can tell it's not running right - sounds ruff..... But once I get the light to turn off - everything returns to normal.

Also note - this truck idles low ( has since I got it ) 650 ish rpms - ( code reader reports - 575 ish ) dash 675ish. Doesn't seem to effect anything just wanted to note it and seem if it's normal.

Also ( this maybe in my head ) but the engine sounded like it had a ( sputtering misfire ) at part throttle - it is not a hard misfire...... Then again the exhaust is cut ( right at the muffler ) so it maybe just the way it sounds......
But today was the first day I noticed it...... Like I said definitely wasn't down a cylinder but sounded a lil sputtery today.....

Any advice. Thanks guys!
I glad you got it running well. You may need to change out the TAC(black section on throttle body) or buy a new throttle body.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How are you reading the 650 ish different of the code reader 575 ish and the dash 675 ish? Ish doesn't look right to me.
The. Code read - live data reports 575ish ( idle )
The dash it's self reads 675 ish ( idle )

It doesn't seem to struggle idling - does sound low but it not trying to die or anything.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,430 Posts
The 6.0 engine in our Caddy is supposed to idle at about 650 rpm.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 6.0 engine in our Caddy is supposed to idle at about 650 rpm.
Damn it I should have never posted about this issue..... If I had if it ignored it - it would have gone away..... But because I said something - now it's gonna act up the night before I go back to work......

Update..... Truck has acted normal (it's own kinda normal)
Every morning when cold ( start truck ) goes into ( power reduced mode ) let it run for 5 mins.... Turn off - wiggle the wires/connector at the throttle body..... Restart truck and everything is fine for the day......

Until today..... We just had a ton of ice hit the state - today driving down the highway the truck went into reduced power mode.. ( several times ).... I kept having to pull over and turn the truck off and wiggle the wires......

Im starting to wonder if there is a issue with the throttle body it's self - you can hear it making noises now when it is having its issues.....
Tonight I had the cruise control on - 60mph...... The moment I hit the brake - it went into power reduced mode......
Went to pass a semi - went from wot to normal and it went back into - power reduced mode......

I got a throttle body my buddys 2004 Chevy avalanche - I think it's the 5.3 or 4.8 + I wounder if it will work....

Any advice?

Here is a weird side note...... When it's having its issues - you can not get it to act right until you wiggle the wires - doesn't matter how many times you restart it - you have to wiggle the wires...... However - once you get it running right....... You can wiggle the wires all you want with it running - it won't go back into power reduced mode. ... So once I get it running properly - it has to fail or have the issue on its own - you can't make it repeat by wiggling wires....

Advice - I owe everyone here a beer one of these days.!

Btw we are outta power right now! Yay

·
Registered
310 Posts
Damn it I should have never posted about this issue..... If I had if it ignored it - it would have gone away..... But because I said something - now it's gonna act up the night before I go back to work......

Update..... Truck has acted normal (it's own kinda normal)
Every morning when cold ( start truck ) goes into ( power reduced mode ) let it run for 5 mins.... Turn off - wiggle the wires/connector at the throttle body..... Restart truck and everything is fine for the day......

Until today..... We just had a ton of ice hit the state - today driving down the highway the truck went into reduced power mode.. ( several times ).... I kept having to pull over and turn the truck off and wiggle the wires......

Im starting to wonder if there is a issue with the throttle body it's self - you can hear it making noises now when it is having its issues.....
Tonight I had the cruise control on - 60mph...... The moment I hit the brake - it went into power reduced mode......
Went to pass a semi - went from wot to normal and it went back into - power reduced mode......

I got a throttle body my buddys 2004 Chevy avalanche - I think it's the 5.3 or 4.8 + I wounder if it will work....

Any advice?

Here is a weird side note...... When it's having its issues - you can not get it to act right until you wiggle the wires - doesn't matter how many times you restart it - you have to wiggle the wires...... However - once you get it running right....... You can wiggle the wires all you want with it running - it won't go back into power reduced mode. ... So once I get it running properly - it has to fail or have the issue on its own - you can't make it repeat by wiggling wires....

Advice - I owe everyone here a beer one of these days.!

Btw we are outta power right now! Yay
What is his truck
  • 1500 2WD
  • 1500 4WD
  • 2500 4WD

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know you have a 2002 Escalade but you said your friend has a throttle from his truck and your wondering whether the throttle body will fit your vehicle. I want to know what kind of truck.
  • 1500 2WD
  • 1500 4WD
  • 2500 4WD
My bad.... I should have known that..... It's a 2004 chevy avalanche it's a 4x4 but I'm not sure it it's 1500 or a 2500... I'll find out.

·
Registered
310 Posts
What's the VIN for your escalade because since you have the EXT they have many different throttle bodies for your specific vehicle .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts