Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back I posted a thread asking whether or not other Volant user's had experienced a more "throaty" sound after installing their systems. Mine sound was significantly throatier after the install. However, as time went on I noticed that there was some vibration in the gas pedal to accompany the throaty sound around 2500-3200 rpms.

I thought for sure this couldn't be normal, so I had a friend push the gas while I popped the hood and listened. Turns out the "Carbon Fiber" lid was nowhere near secured to the box. I know there have been comments about this before, but the amount of air escaping from that gap was amazing at higher RPMS. I could only imagine how much was escaping while I was actually moving and forcing air into the system.

Soo...the solution. I went to Lowes and bought some rubber weather sealant and some Krazy glue and...voila! My Volant system is now officially "hick'd" up! Seriously, its much much quieter, and the best part is that I noticed a definite power increase while driving.

Just wanted to pass this along in case there are any new Volant users out there who hadn't sealed their systems. Seal it!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
johnny, good point. a while back i checked my carbon fiber top and realized it was BARELY bolted on. i urge everyone to keep a close tab on that thing and occasionally check it with a screwdriver. i'm about due to check mine again. there must be some mad vibrations on that box...

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
I got to check that out on my 2004 GMC 5.3L. It has a ram air tube that enters from the bottom (out to front air dam) and it could be forcing the cover to break seal. The cover did always seem to me be flimsy mounting.

Mine makes a terrible throaty sound and was planning on taking if off soon. Passengers comment, what they heck it that noise? I had the GMC dealer tech drive my truck (another problem with fan clutch) and he said he thought something was about to fly off until he opened the hood and saw the CIB. Then is was hard to convince them about the roar from the fan clutch.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
This must be the reason why the guy at a local shop in lafayette told me to avoid the Volant, he said their materials quality was headed downhill fast and didnt think they'd be around much longer as a company. Maybe I should have listened to him...my volant is in transit as I speak...er...type...

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
When I installed my Volant I opened the top to see what was there. I reinstalled the top and tightened it down. No problems in two months.
I'm impressed with the Volant although the instructions stink!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No no no, I put a layer of rubber weather stripping on top of the box and stuck it there using crazy glue. The lid to the box simply screws down on top.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
I opened my hood the other day, and one of the screws holding my Volant in was missing!! I think it vibrated itself loose and just got lost. Only explanation as no one has opened my hood since I installed it.

·
Registered
Black Raven CTS 2.8 VVT
404 Posts
Sorry for sounding ignorant but i'm new here and this is my first brand new cars ever (Cadillac CTS 2.8). What is that Volant thing that you guys are talking about?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Lol, Volant makes an aftermarket intake system for the CTS, like K&N. What we are discussing is that the lid to the Volant box is not sealed on, and therefore it is letting air escape and losing power. We are just trying to think of ways to prevent this.

I will more then likely try weather stripping and some LockTite on the bolts to keep them from vibrating loose.

But welcome to the forum estrivera, feel free to ask any questions.

·
Registered
Black Raven CTS 2.8 VVT
404 Posts
What other intakes are available for the cts 2.8 V6?

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
Volant and K&N are really the only two options unless you want to spend $500+.

·
Registered
Black Raven CTS 2.8 VVT
404 Posts
About how much does the volant and K&N cost?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Has anyone asked Volant about this issue and received Volant's response? Are they making a second generation unit to resolve this issue?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts