Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got done putting in my Volant system. First off, let me say that I've installed 4 other cold air intakes in the past. NONE took this much effort at getting in place. It took over an hour to install this thing, with about 45 mins of the time spent disassembling different sections and manuvering others to get the whole system in place. What a pain in the ass... However, I think it was well worth it.

I did the modification to it; cutting a square shaped hole in the rubber coming of the radiator so that the snorkel pokes out. As soon as I took it for a drive I noticed a pretty good seat of the pants increase in peppiness, and I did a couple of benchmark runs. I gained 2-4 MPH on this little strip that I run. I start in the same spot at the end of a road (I painted a mark down), and I go full throttle until I get to this guys red mailbox. With stock tires and a good launch (without the Volant) I could get up to 73-74. With SNOW tires and the volant I got 75-78. The snow tires were giving me a lot of spinning of the line too, so I would think with better tires I might hit 80. I did three runs.

Now to the subject of the thread, has anyone who's done the Volant mod noticed a throatier sound? I don't have any other mods (exhaust or anything) and right off the bat my engine sounded different. All the way from about half to full throttle my engine sounds a lot throatier. Is this just my imagination?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
johnnybn said:
Is this just my imagination?
Nah..it's the Volant. You do get a throatier sound with the Volant installed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha, I can't wait to see what it will sound like with a magnaflow muffler setup. What's the X-pipe? Is it like an i-pipe but for our CTS? I'm still trying to figure out what mufflers to order, what do you have pjohnesq?

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Your Volant doesn't have any baffles or mufflers like your OEM airbox so you get to listen to your engine sucking air. Combine that with an aftermarket exhaust or a V Exhaust and that baby will really purr!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
johnnybn said:
Haha, I can't wait to see what it will sound like with a magnaflow muffler setup. What's the X-pipe? Is it like an i-pipe but for our CTS? I'm still trying to figure out what mufflers to order, what do you have pjohnesq?
go to cadillacfaq.com and look for my sound clip of my 3.6 w/ volant and magnaflow....as far as the mufflers, the accessory guy at my dealership who did the install is no longer there and I can't get the department or the other guys to call me back with the exact info...I believe they are 2.25" Magnaflow Stainless Steel Performance Mufflers...http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=1079 check out part number 14863....

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
Has anyone else heard rumors that Volant may be on the way out? I recently found a new shop in town and was having the guy track down some prices for me for parts, including the volant intake. He said that volant was going downhill fast and he didnt recommend them anymore due to worsening quality of parts and customer service. Just curious if anyone else had heard this...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't speak to any of the claims about the shape of their business, but the quality of the parts for my intake was not what I had expected. The hard plastic pieces were fine but it seemed like they could've gone a little higher spec with the rubber pieces.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts