Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V / 2015 Porsche Cayenne
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
P1060884.JPG

I know there was a previous post regarding the maf sensor screws backing out and several reports of people using loctite etc. The reason for the screws to loosen is there is nothing for the screw to bottom out on, the only thing thats happening when you tighten it down is flexing the plastic on the maf sensor, subsequent heat cycling etc and the problem gets worse, loctite may eventually cause some issues with the fine threads. Recommending that the gap as shown in the photo (threads of screw showing) be taken up with spacer or washer(s). I'm going to take mine out shortly and remedy the situation as mine have backed off and i want the ability to pop the sensor out for cleaning etc without the hassles of loctite. Just my .02$ hopefully this will help with this issue, Troy.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
guys, i'm telling you right now you need to clean those maf's probaly every 1k miles for the first 5 or 6k when you have an intake like the kpe. The oil off a new filter will coat the maf and skew your a/f's pretty bad. And not just kpe. Drop in k&n's, etc. anything with a new oiled filter. I'll know more in a day or two but i think your maf can get so oily that it will throw off your a/f far enough to foul up your plugs. This can mess up your power badly because if at that point you clean your maf your power will still be down. I'll keep this updated

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
guys, i'm telling you right now you need to clean those maf's probaly every 1k miles for the first 5 or 6k when you have an intake like the kpe. The oil off a new filter will coat the maf and skew your a/f's pretty bad. And not just kpe. Drop in k&n's, etc. anything with a new oiled filter. I'll know more in a day or two but i think your maf can get so oily that it will throw off your a/f far enough to foul up your plugs. This can mess up your power badly because if at that point you clean your maf your power will still be down. I'll keep this updated
Thanks Razorecko, I had issues with my car at the track recently, wait4me (Jesse) suggested dirty maf, took mine apart and cleaned it up (didn't visually appear dirty), haven't had it back at the track but car feels a lot more responsive with the throttle. Thats when i discovered the issue why the screws are backing out, and thought i'd share the information. Its a lot easier to pull two screws and clean the maf than taking the intake elbow off and if doing this that frequently could see an issue with those threaded bungs.

·
Registered
13 6MN Vagon OBM
295 Posts
guys, i'm telling you right now you need to clean those maf's probaly every 1k miles for the first 5 or 6k when you have an intake like the kpe. The oil off a new filter will coat the maf and skew your a/f's pretty bad. And not just kpe. Drop in k&n's, etc. anything with a new oiled filter.
I made the mistake of dropping in a new K&N on my E39 M5 the day before a track event at Road Atlanta. A few runs with lots of WOT and she was hiccuping and stammering--it scared the crap out of me! I've been watching the threads ton the KPE/Airraid and have held of installing mine until I hear more. May go with a dry element instead...

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V (Silver over Black Recaros)
322 Posts
I have not yet installed my KPE kit either, and will definitely use a dry filter when I do.

·
Registered
None
34 Posts
Gentleman,

When dealing with air filters you need to keep in mind that not all Cotton gauze filters are created equal. You are simply making a "blanket Statement" when claiming that all "Oiled" filters are the same and that is completely false.

I would like to add some important information to this discussion about “Oiled” and “Dry” filters.

First the whole concern about the “Oil” contaminating a MAF sensor is a “Myth” as it’s never been proven to be a cause of failure. GM does not have a way of testing the MAF sensor and they use the Oil “Myth” to attempt to get out of doing warranty work.

The AIRAID Premium Filter is designed with 4 layers of cotton gauze and then we incorporate a 5th layer of Synthetic material that we call “Synthaflow”. The main advantages of our Cotton/Synthetic blend filter over a traditional “Cotton” only filter is that our combination allows for far superior filtration, and it will NOT Allow any oil to penetrate through the 5th layer, so there are not any issues with any oil getting close to any of the sensors.

The AIRAID Premium filter offers the best combination of airflow and filtration of any performance filter on the market today!

All AIRAID premium filters are also hand made here in our PHX, AZ manufacturing plant and they are all backed by a Lifetime “No-Hassle” Warranty!

Any other questions please feel free and let me know.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Recommended procedure to clean the MAF???
I used a CRC product called Sensorkleen, designed for MAF sensors.

Turn off ignition, unplug harness to MAF, remove MAF sensor, spray MAF sensor assembly cleaning all wires and connectors, reinstall MAF and allow to dry thouroghly before restarting vehicle, they recommend cleaning MAF every time air filter is cleaned or replaced ( I'll be cleaning mine every 1000km or so).

·
Registered
13 6MN Vagon OBM
295 Posts
First the whole concern about the “Oil” contaminating a MAF sensor is a “Myth” as it’s never been proven to be a cause of failure. GM does not have a way of testing the MAF sensor and they use the Oil “Myth” to attempt to get out of doing warranty work.

The AIRAID Premium Filter is designed with 4 layers of cotton gauze and then we incorporate a 5th layer of Synthetic material that we call “Synthaflow”. The main advantages of our Cotton/Synthetic blend filter over a traditional “Cotton” only filter is that our combination allows for far superior filtration, and it will NOT Allow any oil to penetrate through the 5th layer, so there are not any issues with any oil getting close to any of the sensors.
Okay, I'm guilty of lumping AIRAID and K&N into the same boat, and do apologize for that.

Your logic, however, confuses me. If the whole oiling the MAFS is in fact a "myth", then why did you design your 5th Layer of Synthaflow to prevent it?

Can you tell us whether the filter element int he KPE CAI is an AIRRAID product, which should therefore prevent such fouling?

Thanks.

·
Banned
09' CTS-V
1,023 Posts
Yes, the KPE does use an AirRaid filter as the filter came in an AirRaid box with AirRaids cleaner and oil as well.

·
Registered
None
34 Posts
Okay, I'm guilty of lumping AIRAID and K&N into the same boat, and do apologize for that.

Your logic, however, confuses me. If the whole oiling the MAFS is in fact a "myth", then why did you design your 5th Layer of Synthaflow to prevent it?

Can you tell us whether the filter element int he KPE CAI is an AIRRAID product, which should therefore prevent such fouling?

Thanks.
It was never stated that we designed the 5th layer to prevent “Oil” from going through the filter, I stated that it’s one of the main advantages over a Cotton only filter and the other advantage is that it allows for far superior filtration than a cotton only filter.

“The main advantages of our Cotton/Synthetic blend filter over a traditional “Cotton” only filter is that our combination allows for far superior filtration, and it will NOT Allow any oil to penetrate through the 5th layer, so there are not any issues with any oil getting close to any of the sensors.”

The KPE systems do include an AIRAID premium filter, which includes our “Synthaflow” layer.

Any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
...if your filter is oiled clean your maf a few times until the filter has more miles on it. Enough said.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I ordered up the largest dry filter i could find for 4" intakes and also a "dry sock" that would fit it. I'll post up the info in the next couple days

·
Registered
None
34 Posts
...if your filter is oiled clean your maf a few times until the filter has more miles on it. Enough said.
Hello Razorecko,

This Could possibly apply to a "Cotton Only" filter but does not apply to the AIRAID Premium filter. As your post shows below you are "Grouping" all Cotton Filters together, and as I have stated earlier, they are not all created equal.

"***************
..."if your filter is oiled clean your maf a few times until the filter has more miles on it. Enough said. Yes, this applies to the kpe also as i seen it gunk up the maf on the dyno after several pulls"

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello Razorecko,

This Could possibly apply to a "Cotton Only" filter but does not apply to the AIRAID Premium filter. As your post shows below you are "Grouping" all Cotton Filters together, and as I have stated earlier, they are not all created equal.

"***************
..."if your filter is oiled clean your maf a few times until the filter has more miles on it. Enough said. Yes, this applies to the kpe also as i seen it gunk up the maf on the dyno after several pulls"

Not trying to start a war of words but i have the KPE intake (Two months old), and yes it appears that my MAF was dirty enough to cause issues with stuttering/cutting out at WOT. I realize that the filters have the synthetic inner layer etc, but letting people know that there have been members so far that have had some issue with the MAF sensor getting dirty and throwing the fuel settings out to lunch. The reason for this whole post was the mounting of the MAF sensor on the KPE system and the inevitable loosening of the screws from the design, and what suggestions could be used to prevent the problem from reoccuring, also the FYI on keeping the MAF clean and happy...

·
Premium Member
2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual
1,371 Posts
Is the OEM filter one of the oiled types? Maybe people that went with the modified OEM air-box/filter should be checking their MAF as well ... ?

Rob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts