Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
V2
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if you guys have had to cut any of the plastic to keep from rubbing. I am pretty frustrated with how GM did the plastic guard in the wheel well it does not leave very much room.

The overall width and heigth is the same as stock the only difference is the tires I went with. Straight the car is fine but in a turn where the car shifts it's weight I was getting rubbing on the passenger rear. I had to trime some of the plastic with a dremmel to keep it from rubbing.

There is a 90 degree corner in the back inside of the tire. There is another close spot at the top that bends toward the tire. Then there is a flap in the front inside that is not mounted it moves all over. When I took my tire off you could see the wear on the plastic and a little on the tire.

Maybe my tire allignment is jacked up but this was a pain to fix.

Curious if anyone else had to do this.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V
365 Posts
I haven't heard or noitce any rubbing of my 20" wheels.

My rears: Wheels 20X10 & Tires 285/30/20. What are the dimensions of your rear wheels and tires? Sorry, I didn’t feel like searching through post to find the info.

·
Registered
V2
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't heard or noitce any rubbing of my 20" wheels.

My rears: Wheels 20X10 & Tires 285/30/20. What are the dimensions of your rear wheels and tires? Sorry, I didn’t feel like searching through post to find the info.
Same as yours 285x30x20. I am going to take my car to the dealership and get all 4 alligned just in case.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Using the Tire Rack calculation for overall outside tire diameter, the 285/30R20's should be about .12 " OD less than the 285/35/R19's that came stock on the car.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V
365 Posts
Same as yours 285x30x20. I am going to take my car to the dealership and get all 4 alligned just in case.
Hmmmmmmm I'm not sure what the issue might be. Hopefully the alignment will solve the issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
V2
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Using the Tire Rack calculation for overall outside tire diameter, the 285/30R20's should be about .12 " OD less than the 285/35/R19's that came stock on the car.
That's what is so confusing. I dropped my car off at the dealership hopefully they find something.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
09 Cadillac CTS V
255 Posts
CadV - Was that your car at Sewell with the black wheels and Yoko tires? The car looks really sharp if it is. I was getting my car set up for an oil service, and they were showing me the other V's they have in inventory out in the back of the yard. A Black on Black Auto with Recaros was being pulled out of the alignment rack. The car looks great with those tires, and looks slightly lowered. I had to take a few moments to look at the car before I went back to pick up mine in the service bay.

·
Registered
V2
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CadV - Was that your car at Sewell with the black wheels and Yoko tires? The car looks really sharp if it is. I was getting my car set up for an oil service, and they were showing me the other V's they have in inventory out in the back of the yard. A Black on Black Auto with Recaros was being pulled out of the alignment rack. The car looks great with those tires, and looks slightly lowered. I had to take a few moments to look at the car before I went back to pick up mine in the service bay.
Yep that is mine. I took it in for the problem described in this thread.

Thanks for the compliment. It is not lowered but the 20's fill the wheel well space perfectly in my opinion. When you put them on it looks like you have it lowered when it is still stock.

Your the first guy I have heard of that has a V2 in this area. You done any mods yet? Next one for me is the crank pulley mod.

·
Registered
Cadillac
336 Posts
I lowered my CTS with Eibach and have 20's....no rubbing at all w/ 4 people in the car. It's all about the offset.

·
Registered
V2
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not to thread-jack but how do you guys like Sewell? That's where I bought my 6spd, recaro from on Friday.
Their service department is great. George Munn is the guy I request when I go in and he really knows his stuff. He is a car guy so we always shoot the bull about cars etc. Never had much luck with their sales people. I tried to work a deal for a STS-V and they haggled with me on the trade-in for my CTS-V. Basically they lost a 70k car purchase over 1k. I also called about the V2 and the lady never called me back. I won't buy without GMS and some of them prolly don't want to waste the time.

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V Clack 6psd (manual), Recaro, Loaded...
381 Posts
Their service department is great. George Munn is the guy I request when I go in and he really knows his stuff. He is a car guy so we always shoot the bull about cars etc. Never had much luck with their sales people. I tried to work a deal for a STS-V and they haggled with me on the trade-in for my CTS-V. Basically they lost a 70k car purchase over 1k. I also called about the V2 and the lady never called me back.
Thanks for the input. I got an "OK" deal but they had the car that I really wanted and I already knew what I would be able to get in trade. At the end of the day they were aggressive but their sales department did the leg work and made the deal happen. At the end of the day, I got the car I wanted and a deal I could live with.

BTW: Break in is over... Today I got to try out first gear :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, Synergy... BAD ASS!

·
Registered
V2
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update on my rubbing problem. Turns out it was my diff clutch grabbing. I changed my diff oil out with Amsoil and Amsoil told me I didn't need the slip additive. Well turns out I did so hopefully this helps someone else not make the same mistake.

Still glad I did some work on the plastic because there were wear marks on it and the inside of my tires were showing the scruffs.

Thanks for helping me out.

·
Registered
V2
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for the input. I got an "OK" deal but they had the car that I really wanted and I already knew what I would be able to get in trade. At the end of the day they were aggressive but their sales department did the leg work and made the deal happen. At the end of the day, I got the car I wanted and a deal I could live with.

BTW: Break in is over... Today I got to try out first gear :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, Synergy... BAD ASS!
I am of the opinion that if it is what you want go ahead and get it. I mean think of the time and trouble of trying to find the same thing. Time is money and some people will haggle over a nickle and in the process spend a dollar.

This by far the best car I have ever owned it is so fun to drive.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V
365 Posts
Update on my rubbing problem. Turns out it was my diff clutch grabbing. I changed my diff oil out with Amsoil and Amsoil told me I didn't need the slip additive. Well turns out I did so hopefully this helps someone else not make the same mistake.

Still glad I did some work on the plastic because there were wear marks on it and the inside of my tires were showing the scruffs.

Thanks for helping me out.
I'm glad it worked out for you and thanks for the slip additive tip as I am thinking of adding Amsoil all around.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V (sold)
680 Posts
I'm glad it worked out for you and thanks for the slip additive tip as I am thinking of adding Amsoil all around.
CadV,
Thanks for the info on the slip lock additive. I have the AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w90 (stock code SVGQT) in both my 02 Corvette Z06 (track car) and my 06 CTS-V (daily driver) without extra slip lock additive and neither of my diffs chatter. This fluid does have slip lock additive in it, but it appears newer GM diffs need more additive than what comes in it. On the Corvette forums, for the C6 Corvettes I recommend an extra bottle of AMSOIL Slip-Lock Differential Additive (stock code ADABA). Looks like the newer Caddy's will need one as well.

Readyact,
If you do stock up on AMSOIL fluids, please consider the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program - buy at dealer cost and save about 25% on retail. Worth it for those that use AMSOIL regularly.
:cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts