Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 STS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I replaced my halogens, I avoided LEDs because I was concerned about heat and the fans potentially creating haze inside the housing. The HIDs I have work perfectly and look great, but I'd like to try out something brighter.

I figured I'd ask you guys before pulling the trigger: has anyone noticed anything such as excessive fan noise, heat damage, hazy lenses, or anything else happening over time as a result of your LED bulbs? Or have any of you gone from LED to HID for some reason?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,065 Posts
HIDs run scalding, scary hot - it takes power to keep the plasma hot enough to produce lots of light.

Given the source of the light (diode junction) and experience with home LED bulbs and lighting I'd guess that LEDs run sort of barely warm ????

LED > incandescent > halogen > HID.

https://www.google.com/search?q=automobile+headlamp+type+temperatures&rlz=1C1NHXL_enUS730US730&oq=automobile+headlamp+type+temperatures&aqs=chrome..69i57.11949j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

"Brighter" depends on the color spectrum temperature - the "brightest" bulbs are in the 5,000K range. Blue bulbs actually throw much less light than daylight spectrum bulbs but more bling.

Cars don't really need headlights in most cities anyway - too much background lighting.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 STS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, that's helpful to know about the heat emitted from the diodes. My housings are basically brand new so i didn't want to damage them in the event of a fan failure.

My HIDs are 5000k with "digital" ballasts so they're fairly comfortable. Its more of an issue with luminance -- they're just not as bright as I'd like. I could install 55 watt bulbs but I don't want to deviate from the stock 35 watts.

I'm hoping LEDs can provide a bit more output with the same amount of power.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,065 Posts
Truth ^^^

Actual lighting illumination depends on whether you're driving in downtown Miami (where you really don't need headlights) or out in the remote boonies - Tamiami Trail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts