Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just sold our 2004 SRX as scrap metal yesterday. No, we were not in an accident or anything. Actually the car looked very nice. It was clean, scratch or dent free!

So, the story -

I still remember the day we had driven home in our new Cadillac. It was June 16 2004. The car had 300 miles on it. On our way home the front right headlamp went off. I wanted to turn around, but the kids were tired, we went home.

I should have driven back and returned the vehicle. However, I took it to the dealership the next day - they changed the lamp - took 2 days, got our loaner..

Since then, we have had our transmission replaced (70k mi), transfer case replaced (40k), innumerable other parts replaced - starting from the shade for the moon-roof to the wheel hubs and pretty much everything in between. I did a rough estimate - in the last 6 years the car has been in the dealer service store for more than 11 months. Just no comments.

Ok, fast forward to two days ago - here in the NE we had temperatures in the 100s (it was 106F). My wife was driving the kids to a party - she turned the corner from our house and the SRX just rolled to a stop.

Long story short, AAA came and towed it to Coleman Cadillac in Lawrenceville, NJ - they called me the next day and told me that the engine had failed. I would need to spend $9k to get an used engine and $12k for a new one as I was out of warranty - the car had 105k miles on it. I had bought extended warranty till 100k.

Net, I told them I don't want to repair the car - can they buy it back - they said no, but they can auction it. I got a local garage owner to tow it away and he gave me scrap value.

While this was going on we were obviously going around looking for a new car in our 10 YEAR OLD FORD SEL VAN with 110k MILES ON IT WHICH STILL RUNS LIKE A CHARM (we call her old faithful)!

Audi told us 0 value for the SRX (8k blue book, 9k to fix.. does not add up), Lexus said the same...

Coleman guy however wanted us to get into the 2010 SRX. And this is the highlight of this post actually - I was in their showroom, he was showing me the car and said, hey let me show you the new slide out NAV - hit the start button - nothing happened. He turned around with a sheepish grin and said - "Sorry, the battery is dead"...

I rest my case.

We bought this car 6 years ago with high hopes. Cadillac as a brand name had quality and class written on it. I must say being let down and disappointed does not even start to describe our feelings now. And, before someone says - oh it was just one vehicle - just read the other posts on this forum.

We bought a Lexus RX 350 (I actually feel ashamed about an earlier post where I had dissed someone for turning in their SRX and buying a Lexus). We just went to Atlantic city and came back.. wow what a ride.

To end this post - best of luck to the other owners out here. Hope you fare better.

I will NEVER buy a GM vehicle again. And, if someone asks me about Cadillac.... :cookoo:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good luck with the Lexus, that is the crossover Caddy is trying to copy with the 2010 SRX. I wouldn't criticize GM for a dead battery, I have run into this in various new cars over the years.

The SRX has had it's share of problems and the V6 is especially troublesome, I drove the 2010 and was not impressed with the V6 or turbo version. My guess is that instead of fixing their problems GM figures for every owner they pixx off a new potential owner wonders in the door and buys a new car.

With the electronics and potential for failure I buy the extended warranty and get rid the car when it expires. My 08 has the 100k power train warranty and I'll keep it until 98k (maybe).

The only question is "will the Lexus be any better at 100,000 miles?"

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm sure there is much more to this story than the poster is telling us like; "Did you put Oil in the Car?", was the car in for regular maintenance? Did you replace the timing chains? It's pretty unrealistic to damn a whole car line because you had problems with a particular car and all the variables involved.

I just traded my 2004 SRX in for a 2010 SRX, all my issues have been quite manageable. Its a great car.

·
Registered
738 Posts
If this is his last post, why does he care about rants? If anyone else is reading this post and is scared of a Cadillac, my 04 SRX (85k) didn't have any problems except for the transfer case that was a known design problem from Borg Warner, my 08 CTS (19k) has not had any problems, and my 09 SRX (7k) has had no problems.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
I'm sure there is much more to this story than the poster is telling us like; "Did you put Oil in the Car?", was the car in for regular maintenance? Did you replace the timing chains? It's pretty unrealistic to damn a whole car line because you had problems with a particular car and all the variables involved.

I just traded my 2004 SRX in for a 2010 SRX, all my issues have been quite manageable. Its a great car.
Agree.

But unfortunately there are some stories of really bad dealership experiences. The problems Cadillac has is not out of the ordinary. But the way those problems are treated makes a whole big difference in how you feel about the brand.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I find some of the comments here a bit cold.

Personalities and opinions aside, no one deserves a total engine failure on a 6 model year old luxury (or any) vehicle with 105K miles. Hindsight is 20/20. I wasn't going to comment on this, but I think each of us would expect far more from any brand, dealership, or vehicle.

I too once walked away from another brand after three transmissions: the original, a factory warranty replacement at 54K, and an off-warranty overhaul at 66K. The trans began slipping again at 74K miles but my mechanic got it working again. I gave up on the brand and the vehicle at around 80K miles and took a financial shellacking in the process.

If your SRX spent 11 months of its life over 6 years at the dealership, and the epitaph is that your engine failed at 105K miles, with the expense on your dime, how would you feel? Even after purchasing an extended warranty? Pretty much the same as this guy. Add in the final insult-to-injury,,,,,,the wife and kids get stranded. That last one would cause a lot of us to go postal.

One asked whether the guy was checking the motor oil. Another asked about the timing chain swap. Another suggested that his dealer was sub par. On the first observation, if you read this guy's posts, he doesn't sound like an owner who would skip this detail after hanging out on this forum for years or at his dealer for months, does it? On the second, was the timing chain swap a dealer choice or a mandated swap……if there were no symptoms?

On the third observation, the dealer he chose may have been one thing he might have done differently if, over the course of the back and forth trips over 6 years, he felt his dealer of choice was incapable of resolving his issues; but at the end of the day he might not have had the luxury of another choice due to the location of a viable and practical alternative. And, how could a change of dealers have forestalled or prevented a total and sudden engine failure that apparently gave no warning signals?

Let’s add another alternative he had: conclude he was fighting a losing battle and trade the SRX in. Those who have never traded in a newer, low(er) mileage First Gen SRX are in for a whopping letdown on the depreciated value of the trade (NADA blue book). Those buying the newer, low(er) mileage SRX used…..it’s a veritable bargain. He was stuck with what he had in my mind.

GM Jim listed a stat about the number of First Gen SRXs that have been sold and aptly pointed out that forums such as this are Mecca for the folks with the problems. So it may seem the SRX is problematic from the get go when the reality overall in fact is quite different. Or one might observe that the available used car reliability statistics place the First Gen reliability a cut below many of the competitive vehicles.

So let’s not kick the guy when he is down. His disappointment is understandable.

The ONLY thing I take issue with him is on this: when he slams the SRX, he slams every owner and their choice to purchase one, including the majority whose ownership experience has been quite different than his, has not been terminal, or has been problem-free on a relative basis.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
And I break my promise. I just could not hold back when I saw some the posts .. had to come back here to see what others were saying. But this is it - FINAL.:canttalk:

First, PJ1520 - thank you for you analysis. I am not the one to miss maintenance. I have a all the history of ALL OIL CHANGES/RECALLS on the vehicle. While Cadillac suggested an oil change every 5K or 6 Months - I did an oil change EVERY THREE MONTHS. Except for the time it was in the workshop. Otherwise, our 10 year Ford van would not be in fine running condition. As for changing dealers - there is only one dealer left in my area.

But never mind. I dont care about the responses from posters like "offthehorseCEO" or "algiorda". The internet gives every special person a chance to air whats on their mind or whatever that passes for it.

However, I am not dissing all the owners here. I am wishing you luck.

The thought I would leave you with - this model was launched in 2004. There are only a handful of these cars on the road with 100k miles on it. There is a post right after mine, where another engine has failed. GM is surviving on Tax payers money. I just feel cheated.

I have seen Lexuses with 200k miles on it.. even driven one.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
008.....in your position with just a 6 model year old SRX I would have been sorely tempted to go the engine repairs route with my private mechanic which would have come out a whole lot less than the $9K-$12K your dealer quoted you. But one has to have transportation during the downtime and a mechanic who is a cut above. I do.

I wonder if the timing chain(s) let go or, with some slack/stretch, skipped over the sprockets. Had something like that happen to my Corvette many moons ago (GM fiber timing gear let go!?!) and it was the better financial alternative at the time, was able to use some high performance chains and sprockets in the exchange. Engine r&r took about 2 weeks total.

·
Cadillac Technician
11,051 Posts
The owner's manual outlines procedures called something like "owner checks and inspetions".
These engines are fairly notorious for using oil. IF the owner of the car is following the guidelines and checking the level on a regular basis it prevents a lot of problems.
The number one cause we see of timing chain issues is due to low oil level.
Changing the oil every 3,000 miles is no guarantee that the oil will be there. If it runs out of oil and the whole thing takes a digger it is on the customer.

I don't know the specifics of the case here, but based on what I see I would have to assume that the engine was too low on oil and the timing chains let go and the rest is history.
Cars break, some more than others.
It is sad yes, but one vehicle (or even 10) are hardly representative of all the carlines made by GM.
I hate to know that someone had this many problems and gave up, as noted I think some of it may be related to a maintenance issue and the rest is bad luck or weak service. I wouldn't go bragging about buying anything else.
You are drawing on 6 years of ownership versus what, two weeks now?
Call us in 6 years when you have had the Lexus for a while and list off the issues you have had with it and how long it was in the shop.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
EWILL.....I am not trying to stir things up or take sides here. But your comments confuse me. This isn't a Yugo. It's a Cadillac, purchased new.

How would you react if this was your vehicle at just six years and 105K miles. How would you react if you had spent 11 months of your 6 year ownership driving loaner while your $50K (or whatever) SRX took up residence at the dealership? The 11 months works out to a day a week every week for six years. 15% of his ownership time, his SRX was in the shop.

Who amongst us has the time to be commuting.......back and forth to a dealership? I don't know about you, but my idea of fun isn't sliding the key into the ignition, listening and worrying every mile I drive.

What does he wind up with? An SRX with no motor and a blue book value he can't recover because the car needs a like amount of engine repairs in order to dump it. So he loses once again, on the back end.

What in this account of events lead you to believe this is a person who doesn't change or check the motor oil at the regular prescribed intervals?

With regard to family, if it were your wife and kids who got stranded after this six year string of events, how would you react? I already posted how I would have reacted to that one.

Granted, this guy's SRX may not be representative of GM, Cadillac or the SRX, but this was HIS experience.....and HIS money. HIS time, and HIS worry.

You and I might be inclined to react in exactly the same bitter manner as he has.

I can handle a couple of slams from him at (my choice of) an SRX. I think he paid the price of admission to make them, and then some.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Looking at the history of the first year for my 09 SRX - - maybe I best not say any more!

Good luck 008 with your new ride!

I sold my 1998 Ford Explorer with 288,000 miles on it to the son of one of my friends. That was 2 years ago, and he is still driving it today! He had made ZERO repairs to Engine and Drive train, but did have replace a strut and some front end bushing. I bought it used and I drove it for 3 years and didn't spend a dime outside of brake pads and oil.

My SRX has spent more time in the shop the first year then that old Explorer has over the last 5 years.

I only hope my SRX doesn't completely die in the next 2 years - I really don't' want to have to bicker with GM for a replacement.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Maybe Im too young to understand the whole "service" thing but why should owning a Cadillac mean some sort crazy high level of service and that nothing should break ever?

When I buy a higher end car with lots of cool stuff I sort of hope it won't fail but the more stuff you put into it the more change of issues, that being said no one should have to deal with the crap this poor fellow did but don't blame the brand.

I bought a Cadillac because I liked it and fit our needs, I was not under some idea that I would be treated like a king and the car would last forever, do people really think this way?

Service is only as good as the last person you dealt with, Nissan screwed me over on a warrenty issue and ended up costing me $1000 for trouble shooting and still no fix, Audi well they just rammed me but were very nice and took care of me.

My last GM dealings were on the SRX and it was awesome, they fixed the problem and found another problem and made the battery fail a test after it tested good but the tech knew it was junk and hooked me up.

The SRX is just a car and it will fail but I really doubt any more than any other brand, brand bashing is so lame and even more so after you get rid of one. When you have a lemon and it just keeps costing money don't blame the brand as they all have them, visit any forum and the story is the same.

Rock on GM!

·
Cadillac Technician
11,051 Posts
GM and other carmakers a few years ago went on a big kick about "maintenance free" and "reduced maintenance".
Everyone and their dog pretty much believe these days that you get in the car, drive it, and it should go and go.
It is a machine, machines require regular inspections and maintenance to operate properly and they break.

What leads me to believe that this is what happened is that we see this pretty regularly.
Car after car comes in running poorly with the check engine light and less than a quart of oil in the pan.
Why? Because owners do not check their oil. I have said it time and time again, if you have a 3.6 keep an eye on the oil level or you might just end up in the boat this guy did. Is it speculation? Sure, but it is based on experience.

There is no logical reason an engine that is maintained would go from driving to dead. Granted there could be something going on we don't know about but the OP didn't post that information so based on a lot of years of experience I am drawing some conclusions. Too bad he doesn't post anymore or he could verify it. I could certainly be wrong. Now bear in mind, IF this is what happened then IF there had been regular checks of the oil level the guy could have taken his car in and said "hey this thing is drinking oil" at which time it could have been fixed. That is called "owner responsibility".
Same thing with tires, they lose air, you have to check them, if you don't and it goes flat it isn't the tire manufacturer's fault, it is yours for not following recommended maintenance guidelines.

I am not heartless and I feel for this guy, I have seen situations a lot worse than this one.
I'm not so sure why you find it so necessary to defend him when you know as little, or even less than the rest of us, but it is what it is I guess.

It sounds like there was a combination of issues that made this fellow's ownership experience suck and not the least to blame here is his servicing dealer.
I am not going to be drawn into a bunch of hypothetical nonsense. It is what it is, and frankly I make sure that things like this don't happen to my vehicles AND understanding that cars break, I have planned ahead should something happen where they are stranded and it is a non-issue. Again, people place too much faith on these machines.
Should we have a certain level of trust for our cars? Absolutely. They are engineered to do certain things and they should perform accordingly.
The pricetag on a vehicle is no guarantee that it will last for 100, 100,000, or 300,000 miles.
If it was a Yugo or a Ferrari my recommendations are still the same. Read the owner's manual and do what it says and the car will last but ultimately it is a thing, a machine, it can be fixed or replaced. If more people entered ownership of an automobile with that mindset a lot of this senseless bickering would just cease.

For now, it's a free country. People can own what they want, and not everyone can be pleased all the time.
I totally support people making changes when something doesn't work for them. If this gentleman is unhappy with Cadillac service or products then he SHOULD buy something else. It only stands to reason.
He has every right to post his frustrations on his way out too. None of us will ever know the whole story, nor do we need to.
We are all still entitled to our own opinions.

I respect the OP's opinion, his decision, and all of the opinions expressed here. I was just stating mine for consideration.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I too choose to drive an SRX and have chosen to deal with all that goes with it, good and bad. I went into this purchase with my eyes wide open and recognizing the vehicle's potential inherent weaknesses. But unlike 008 who bought the first year's release, I had the benefit of other's experience. All 6 years of the First Gen had been released and the jury was in on the first few model years.

If we step outside our own reliability and maintenance experiences and the realm of this (and the other) automotive forums, this First Gen SRX isn't the worst of the bunch against which it competes. But the longer term automotive reliability rankings posted by a JD Powers or a Consumers' Reports don't put the SRX in a particularly good light either. There were better choices out there for us if that was our sole criteria for purchasing a vehicle.

But none of the others satisfied my funtionality, performance, and aesthetic wants and needs quite the same way as this vehicle.

When the glitches are sorted out and the SRX delivers as advertised, there is little not to like. For many of us, getting to that glitch-free state and staying there can try one's patience and shake one's resolve. My Corvette was like this, and I believe I was a major financial benefactor in my mechanic's ability to send his kids to college on the money he made off me on my off-warranty repairs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have seen Lexuses with 200k miles on it.. even driven one.

Believe it or not, Lexus is not the only one who can go this.

My friend and his wife have 2 vehicles righjt now that qualify:

1999 Monte Carlo with 248,xxxx miles at last check in which, now that I think of it, was around Christmas time.

Also have a 2004 Grand Prix GTP with 211,xxx.

My 2008 SRX V6 only has 28,000 on it at the moment, but someone that works in another office of ours has a 2004 SRX with over 100,000.... I actually asked him about his car before I bought mine. He's had no issues that he has told me, and is still driving his SRX.

Sorry you had a bad experience, I would not be happy myself. If I owned such a work-horse Ford product, though, I probably would have bought a Lincoln MKX before going to Lexus, myself... Not to beat a dead horse, but if you think Toyota doesn't have it's share (or more, a lot more) of issues right now, then you are fooling yourself.

·
Registered
202 Posts
GM and other carmakers a few years ago went on a big kick about "maintenance free" and "reduced maintenance".
Everyone and their dog pretty much believe these days that you get in the car, drive it, and it should go and go.
It is a machine, machines require regular inspections and maintenance to operate properly and they break.

Is there a maintenance that should be done when the northstar engine gets to 85000 to 95000 miles that is recomended that pretty exspensive to have done

·
Cadillac Technician
11,051 Posts
nstar,

They have changed recommendations over the years.
I don't memorize service schedules because they change a lot.
I leave the recommendations to the service advisors usually and they have some sort of cheat sheet up there that lets them know what recommendations to make for what years based on the information listed in the owner's manual.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts