Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 cadillac seville
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some argent help, This noise is keeping me from enjoying my day, idk if im just a bit too obsessive but its really bugging me out.

when ever i start up my cadillac *or am in park* I always get a weird knocking type noise in a metronome manner, which idk if its just a valve noise from it being a v8 or what not, its got 138k miles on it,

i cant determine if its a legit ENGINE KNOCK, because when i rev the engine, the engine sounds BEAUTIFULLY AMAZING. it is only when it is in idle, some times, and it doesnt get faster with slight revs, it sorta fads to the background. and at times, i dont even hear the sound at ALL.

Could someone please help me put this to rest? what could this be. possible disaster?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,464 Posts
Noises are hard to find online. Go to Walgreen or any large drug store and get a stethoscope. Remove the chest diaphragm and substitute a length of proper sized vacuum hose from the Help! racks at a car parts store. Use the rig to snoop for noises and vacuum leaks. Some parts stores - NAPA for one - sell mechanics' stethoscopes.

·
Registered
1999 cadillac seville
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya, a friend came up to me while i was studying my engine looking for any clue and he recommended that, he said it sounded like the noise was coming nearer to the pullys instead of the engine its self, could pullys create a noise like this?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,155 Posts
A bad pulley bearing will make that type of noise and will follow RPM's. A stethoscope is VERY helpful in this application. Just be careful around the belt. Another option is to put the drive lug of a 1/2" drive breaker bar in the square hole in the belt tensioner and use it as a lever. Remove just enough belt tension to allow the belt to slip. If the noise stops, it's a bearing. Now you just have to figure out which one. The tensioner or idler are the usual suspects.

·
Registered
1999 cadillac seville
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking up some Cadillac start up videos on youtube, and there was a 99 deville with about 90k miles, and it was a dealer video, and it sounds exactly like mine, i think i may be playing this off to be something it isnt, but its better to be safe, ill still do that stuff to determine for sure.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
2004 Deville
7 Posts
I have an 04 deville with the same noise. Tried water pump pully that was ok Seems to be coming from the drivers side rear bank. When i rev its gone but at idle it sounds like a quiet diesel engine. Could it be spark or egr valve dont know

Al

1 - 8 of 8 Posts