Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
ATS 2.0 M6 FE3
605 Posts
Thats.... thats actually the best hope for the brand I've heard in some time. Woz is a bit of a cultural force amongst the younger and tech savvy folks and he seems to know what "teh interwebz" are up to. Something most marketing firms can't seem to grasp.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
see something in the New York water works on more than pizza...it works on people too

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,513 Posts
It's all good he is in the mix. On the other hand I want nothing to do with self driving cars unless I am drunk and need to get home. With all this I don't own my car crap and saying I won't be able to work on it. Now they want to drive me around in a car I don't own. That's what I call a CAB i'm paying for all the time even when i'm sleeping... Yeah I look at things weird but it's all true. I like driving cars and on all roads not just roads that are designated for manual driving. It's all getting weird and hopefully I'm gone and dead before all this type of stuff happens. Feel like we are not free to do what we like anymore. Self driving cars should be an option. And I don't think it will be an option there isn't enough space to have double highways unless they use the diamond lane as this self driving thing.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Woz is the man ..... And a personal hero to my geeky side

On another note I'm all for self driving cars so that we can use our commutes to sit with iPads and argue here on the forum about the driving we forgot how to do:stirpot:

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Please no more tablets,Ipads,apple watches. Everyone will have their head down in life while it passes by. Humans are going to start evolving into a different looking human to deal with all these little screens. I wish things went back to the basics. I use the computer or my phone at work and that's it. Weekends I can't even remember where my phone is,

On another note I'm all for self driving cars so that we can use our commutes to sit with iPads and argue here on the forum about the driving we forgot how to do:stirpot:

·
Registered
'13 ATS4 2.0T, Gone but will be missed, '13 SRX4 Performance
473 Posts
I read yesterday about an accident involving a self-driving car. It was reported that the crash wasn’t caused by that car. Crash avoidance logic is already in many cars. However, it seems to me that the logic that we, as drivers, use to keep ourselves and families out of harm’s way in the first place cannot be translated into binary code. I’ll keep driving myself, thank you.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0 M6 FE3
605 Posts
No joke. It's not that he's smart - it's that he cares about this stuff and is seriously passionate about it, which is worth a lot more than just brain power.[/QUOTE]
I love to drive. I love to row my own gears and enjoy the sunshine and a nice mountain road. But going to work isn't driving. Rush hour traffic isn't driving. It's frustrating and aggravating because people tailgate and don't give proper follow distance or talk on their phones or shave or yell at their kids and don't pay attention to their 7000lb SUV and where its going. Having schools on your work commute route is the worst thing.

I also live 270 miles from my folks and 250 of it is straight non-stop highway - that's not driving either. It's boring. I can't enjoy the scenery or the fall colors or a nice cup of coffee because I have to drive and pay attention to the other guys on the road and their stupidity.
I use the computer or my phone at work and that's it. Weekends I can't even remember where my phone is,
I would normally agree for weekends - but in the commute hours, if I could clock in fifteen minutes of emails on the way to work and the way home, that'd save me half an hour of work I am *going* to have to do that day - I need to either do on the laptop at home or at the office. That'd save useful time to actually do the things I want to do. Or I can just relax and drink my coffee while the computer sorts out traffic and gets me to work calm and cool and collected.

I love driving and am 200% in support of driverless cars for highway use and even urban/sub-urban use. Their application in hills/mountains/rural areas with bad sight lines, winding roads, deer, and poor GPS are the areas I *want* to drive and the computers will always find hardest.

But I totally see the point against driverless cars. I just don't want to waste the commute hours to mindless rush hour traffic when it could mean I'd be able to head home half an hour earlier and leave the laptop at work.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read yesterday about an accident involving a self-driving car. It was reported that the crash wasn’t caused by that car. Crash avoidance logic is already in many cars. However, it seems to me that the logic that we, as drivers, use to keep ourselves and families out of harm’s way in the first place cannot be translated into binary code. I’ll keep driving myself, thank you.
this is not new....under current laws a driver has to be at the controls of a self driving car they just dont have to be controlling it, they can just sit there as backup.....and in every case in the past few years of self driving cars it's been reported the the backup (the human) caused the crash seems its a trust/panic issue not a tech issue

----------

I love to drive. I love to row my own gears and enjoy the sunshine and a nice mountain road. But going to work isn't driving. Rush hour traffic isn't driving. It's frustrating and aggravating because people tailgate and don't give proper follow distance or talk on their phones or shave or yell at their kids and don't pay attention to their 7000lb SUV and where its going. Having schools on your work commute route is the worst thing.

I also live 270 miles from my folks and 250 of it is straight non-stop highway - that's not driving either. It's boring. I can't enjoy the scenery or the fall colors or a nice cup of coffee because I have to drive and pay attention to the other guys on the road and their stupidity.

I would normally agree for weekends - but in the commute hours, if I could clock in fifteen minutes of emails on the way to work and the way home, that'd save me half an hour of work I am *going* to have to do that day - I need to either do on the laptop at home or at the office. That'd save useful time to actually do the things I want to do. Or I can just relax and drink my coffee while the computer sorts out traffic and gets me to work calm and cool and collected.

I love driving and am 200% in support of driverless cars for highway use and even urban/sub-urban use. Their application in hills/mountains/rural areas with bad sight lines, winding roads, deer, and poor GPS are the areas I *want* to drive and the computers will always find hardest.

But I totally see the point against driverless cars. I just don't want to waste the commute hours to mindless rush hour traffic when it could mean I'd be able to head home half an hour earlier and leave the laptop at work.

to your point what could be ideal is in the movie I,Robot the way the cars self drive is pretty cool and you have the option to go manual mode and drive for yourself....check out that movie if you haven't seen it

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
Google driverless cars have been involved in about a dozen accidents. A few were getting rear ended so not responsible. Don't know if any of those would have been avoided with an average human driver but some of the others could have. In some jurisdictions, responsibility is proportioned based on ability to avoid (not traffic law compliance) and people complying 100% with the law have been held 100% responsible.

I'd be interested in sitting in on a court case where a driverless car (or car in self driving mode) was in an accident, didn't break any traffic laws, but that a human could have avoided. Its not that hard to program a car to follow laws, but so far not possible to program for real world behavior which does not always follow the law.

There are places in China and probably in some cities elsewhere where people will take a right of way contrary to the law. Some places the only way you can make a turn is if you force pedestrians or other cars who ignore the laws to get out of your way. Very hard to program playing chicken and even harder to get the lawyers to let you install such a program.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Oh I agree with your situation. I work 5 minutes from home and I feel the freedom of that 5 minute drive. If I had a commute that would be different. You could drive me all day Miss Daisy to work. At my job I leave work at home. I don't even have it where I can check my work emails from home by my choice. But if you can get work done on the way to work that's great.
No joke. It's not that he's smart - it's that he cares about this stuff and is seriously passionate about it, which is worth a lot more than just brain power.

But I totally see the point against driverless cars. I just don't want to waste the commute hours to mindless rush hour traffic when it could mean I'd be able to head home half an hour earlier and leave the laptop at work.[/QUOTE]

----------

Yes who is responsible for the accident? If I wasn't driving and the computer in the car was at fault what the hell would happen? Yeah I don't like where this is going at all and haven't thought about this until you said something. I am not a fan of this at all. I'll just drive a BIG WHEEL to work then. Or maybe a skateboard.
Google driverless cars have been involved in about a dozen accidents. A few were getting rear ended so not responsible. Don't know if any of those would have been avoided with an average human driver but some of the others could have. In some jurisdictions, responsibility is proportioned based on ability to avoid (not traffic law compliance) and people complying 100% with the law have been held 100% responsible.

I'd be interested in sitting in on a court case where a driverless car (or car in self driving mode) was in an accident, didn't break any traffic laws, but that a human could have avoided. Its not that hard to program a car to follow laws, but so far not possible to program for real world behavior which does not always follow the law.

There are places in China and probably in some cities elsewhere where people will take a right of way contrary to the law. Some places the only way you can make a turn is if you force pedestrians or other cars who ignore the laws to get out of your way. Very hard to program playing chicken and even harder to get the lawyers to let you install such a program.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,363 Posts
^^^^^ Absolutely agree with this post. One of the worst causes of poor driving has been the advent of the smart phone. People drive like the're drunk and I've had plenty of close calls, only to find out these idiots are talking directly on the phone or texting. With just about every car on the road having some form of bluetooth or hands free calling, why does it seem the majority still drive with one hand on the steering wheel and the other on a phone? Don't get me started with the dumb pedestrians who'll cross illegally right in front of you on the phone, with nary a glance at you or traffic as they cross. Heaven forbid they hold their kids hands as they cross; that phone call is waaaaay more important. Rant over.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Like when someone is going 30 in a 45 swerving back and forth like they are drunk. Finally can get by them as I drive by I look at them to see them texting. At that point I wish my arm could reach them to get a good windpipe choke going. You can't even go old school and give them the finger they won't look up to see you. I normally floor it and blow my horn to scare the hell out of them. Then they seem to get angry. At that point I hope to god they don't have anything to say if they end up at a light with me. By then I'm already blowing a gasket. Yeah I have anger problems but only for ignorant people. One day their going to kill someone and its to late by then to have learned. All because they need to stay connected to someone. Stupid $hit. In my day it was just woman walking that would distract you.
^^^^^ Absolutely agree with this post. One of the worst causes of poor driving has been the advent of the smart phone. People drive like the're drunk and I've had plenty of close calls, only to find out these idiots are talking directly on the phone or texting. With just about every car on the road having some form of bluetooth or hands free calling, why does it seem the majority still drive with one hand on the steering wheel and the other on a phone? Don't get me started with the dumb pedestrians who'll cross illegally right in front of you on the phone, with nary a glance at you or traffic as they cross. Heaven forbid they hold their kids hands as they cross; that phone call is waaaaay more important. Rant over.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
I just want to caution people about an outdated definition of texting. I text, both in cars and out. And I can't remember the last time I "typed" or "read" a single word of a text. With the Voice button on the steering wheel I never touch my phone while driving and with "Hey Cortana" I don't even need to touch it outside the car. Modern texting receiving and sending is totally audio. If I get a text, my phone tells me (via the car's speakers, if driving) who its from and asks me if I want it read to me. Then it asks if I want to respond and lets me dictate and conform a response. Nothing to see or touch in the car or on the phone. Likewise if I want to text while driving (not often), I can press the voice button on the steering wheel and say Call Cortana. When Cortana answers I say "text xxxxxx" and from there its like responding to a text from that person (see above). So the definition of texting no longer means typing or reading is involved, just that information is sent in text format with no implication of how the text was created or consumed.

Such texting while driving is safer than talking to a passenger or talking to someone over the phone or drinking a cup of coffee.

I'm all for the death penalty for reading or typing while driving but texting is fine in my book.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Well that texting is fine hands free. But these people don't have cars that will do that and they are so used to the old way that's what they do. Their head is always down. If voice texting was going on you wouldnt think anything but maybe they are drunk or just can't drive. And this is not just kids typing and driving. Middle age people as well....
I just want to caution people about an outdated definition of texting. I text, both in cars and out. And I can't remember the last time I "typed" or "read" a single word of a text. With the Voice button on the steering wheel I never touch my phone while driving and with "Hey Cortana" I don't even need to touch it outside the car. Modern texting receiving and sending is totally audio. If I get a text, my phone tells me (via the car's speakers, if driving) who its from and asks me if I want it read to me. Then it asks if I want to respond and lets me dictate and conform a response. Nothing to see or touch in the car or on the phone. Likewise if I want to text while driving (not often), I can press the voice button on the steering wheel and say Call Cortana. When Cortana answers I say "text xxxxxx" and from there its like responding to a text from that person (see above). So the definition of texting no longer means typing or reading is involved, just that information is sent in text format with no implication of how the text was created or consumed.

Such texting while driving is safer than talking to a passenger or talking to someone over the phone or drinking a cup of coffee.

I'm all for the death penalty for reading or typing while driving but texting is fine in my book.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts