Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, wipers wouldnt turn off unless fuse was taken out, a new PCB in the motor cover (I say used, was from a scrap so may have also been faulty) did not fix the problem. Car is in the UK and RHD - there are only about 100 of these on the road here, so RHD specific spares are like gold-dust.

Now, from having the wipers on and off so much from trying to fix the issue (and manually moving the wipers by hand not realising the damage it could cause), the plastic cog inside the motor has damaged teeth on one side, meaning that the wipers are now just non-functioning (they go to the top of the cycle and wont come back down unless pushed, which in turn damages more of the cog).

Had about enough of the problem, so was finally ready to fork out to get a RHD motor just shipped over to me, which I thought would be about £250. The only place that I could find one that would ship to the UK was on GMPartsGiant.com and I wasn't far wrong about the price of the item... except they are charing £226 shipping as well which is ludicrous. Here is the lising: https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-motor-asm-wsw-w-crank-arm-19368524.html?Make=Cadillac&Model=CTS&Year=2005&Submodel=&Filter=()

In total, the item, shipping and taxes means that a new wiper motor will cost me an absolutely whopping $720. For that price id be better of trying to fit move components around to accommodate a LHD wiper setup which I could get for a little over £100.

I'm really hoping that someone here knows of any other vehicle that uses the same wiper motor - hopefully a car that is well used in the UK and would be easy to find on a scrap pile! That, or even if anyone knows a motor that uses a similar method the way it works and is mounted, and I'd find a way of fitting it in there.

Even if it means I have to use a motor that I cant wire directly up to the Cadillac Wiper stock I'm not fussed at this point - I'd be happy to just wire something onto its own separate 2 speed switch so that there are functioning wipers, because it rains quite a bit over here!

I know its a long shot, but if youve any suggestions, im all ears :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
i get your struggle parts for our cars are hard to find outside the US and they're easily found in the US. I can't imagine the LHD setup can be done on your car but i didn't try it so i will leave it to other members. for me i use https://www.myus.com/
to collect shipments int the US and then send them to me as one package. it's the fastest and cheapest choice for me and for you
the motor weighs around 1.54 kg so it would cost you from GBP 20.44 to GBP 51.08 depending on shipping company and speed of shipping. i hope this helps you ,message me or reply here if you want to know more

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i get your struggle parts for our cars are hard to find outside the US and they're easily found in the US. I can't imagine the LHD setup can be done on your car but i didn't try it so i will leave it to other members. for me i use https://www.myus.com/
to collect shipments int the US and then send them to me as one package. it's the fastest and cheapest choice for me and for you
the motor weighs around 1.54 kg so it would cost you from GBP 20.44 to GBP 51.08 depending on shipping company and speed of shipping. i hope this helps you ,message me or reply here if you want to know more
Cheers mate, will definitely look into that - looks very useful.

I phoned a 3d printing place earlier, and think I can get the cog that is damaged printed for about £50. Then its a case of re-wiring the motor or buying a new PCB (or waiting for one to come up on the scrap market here).

Ran into a problem though - I cannot for the life of me work out how to remove the plastic cog. See image below:

Motor is fully detached, and nothing else on the backside I can unscrew. Was expecting it to just slide out but no dice.

I'm really doubting that anyone here has ever had to remove one of these considering how easy they are to find for you LHD guys in the US, but if anyone has then I'd love to hear how they popped it out.

Dont want to damage it too much trying to remove it before I've had a CAD file made to 3d print it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cheers mate, will definitely look into that - looks very useful.

I phoned a 3d printing place earlier, and think I can get the cog that is damaged printed for about £50. Then its a case of re-wiring the motor or buying a new PCB (or waiting for one to come up on the scrap market here).

Ran into a problem though - I cannot for the life of me work out how to remove the plastic cog. See image below:

View attachment 573625

Motor is fully detached, and nothing else on the backside I can unscrew. Was expecting it to just slide out but no dice.

I'm really doubting that anyone here has ever had to remove one of these considering how easy they are to find for you LHD guys in the US, but if anyone has then I'd love to hear how they popped it out.

Dont want to damage it too much trying to remove it before I've had a CAD file made to 3d print it.
i have been searching a bit about the windshield
and these two videos might help you understand how it works and figure your next move
in the 2nd video the guy tried to get the gear out but no luck then he hammered it a bit and it did come out

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, could not get that cog out no matter what, and even if I could then the cost of having one 3D printed plus hiring an electrician to re-wire things to work on different switches etc still would have cost me about £250 (the price I thought I would be paying for a new motor).

So with that, I checked out your suggestion of using myus.com and they can ship the motor to me for about $40, which is a damn sight cheaper than the $250 GM parts giant wanted to charge, so I signed up with them.

Bought the motor from GMpartsGiant and having it shipped to myus.com now. All in all, its costing me about $350 for the new motor which isnt exactly cheap, but still much better than paying $720 and waiting 3 weeks for shipping!

Cheers for your help mate, ill update when its all in and Im happy :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ARGH. So I made the order with GMPartsGiant - they then cancel it because they cant confirm my billing address on my UK card. They tell me that they do not accept international cards (strange considering they offer international shipping) and that to place the order I need to use PayPal... but not with my UK PayPal account - but a "guest" payment.

They are still holding the money from the first card payment, but I go ahead with PayPal anyway. They then sent me this in an email a few hours later:

Thank you for ordering parts with us.
We are writing to inform you that order VGA11365 has been voided. Your order has been voided because of the following reason(s): The ordered part(s) have been discontinued (no longer available) and/or is backordered with no ETA date by the manufacture.

Does anyone know any way I might be able to get this part? The car is basically scrap without it. The part number is 19368524

Appreciate any help because I'm going out of my mind here.

·
Registered
471 Posts
BTW, I know you probably already did that. But my point is (and it sucks) that you will probably need to bite the bullet. OR call some wrecking yards and see if they have one that they will send to you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW, I know you probably already did that. But my point is (and it sucks) that you will probably need to bite the bullet. OR call some wrecking yards and see if they have one that they will send to you.
Yep, looked through most google hits over the last few days - most of the links just lead to outdated pages that dont display the part.

I know there definitely is somewhere in the US that has this part in stock. I just called a US parts dealer here in the UK - he didn't have the part, but phoned one of his suppliers in the US who had the part, but he was telling me it would cost £500 (think thats about $650?). I get that he probably had a big mark up on there himself, but either way it does point to somewhere having them for sale.

Im all over the scrap CTS's in the UK as soon as they pop up - problem is, so is every other CTS owner by the looks of it! These motors are the first thing to go on them.

My other option is send of the faulty PCB in the motor cover to a repair place to see if they can fix it, but even then the cog in my motor is still damaged, and unless I can work out how to get that out and have another 3d printed then im still a bit screwed. I actually think the cog is sealed in there post assembly, as it isnt the type of part that should be serviceable - its only broken because of my mistakes.

Driving me round the bend!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

Found one listed on this site for a similar price: https://parts.britainchevy.com/oem-parts/gm-motor-19368524

Emailed them to check if they had in stock and to make sure I wouldnt run into the same problem using a UK debit card, but unfortunately they are telling me that if I purchased they would cancel the order because of the card issue, saying that it's too high risk.

I really don't understand who these guys expect to be buying a RHD specific part other than international buyers, because I'm guessing there are very few people (if not none at all) driving a RHD Cadillac CTS in the US :/

·
Registered
471 Posts
Like below with international shipping.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Like below with international shipping.

Cheers for looking mate, but those listings are for the left hand drive version. I'm in the UK with a RHD model so it's a different part :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts