Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 1993 Deville 4.9, 1991 Eldorado Touring Coupe
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 93 Deville out today, Not unusual as its a daily driver from me.

Was stopped at a stoplight and noticed small "wisps" of smoke coming out of the steering column!!!
The longer i sat at the light, The more smoke comes out! But not really heavy but certainly enough to freak me out!!! Its coming out of where the steering wheel meets the column.

I`m not far from home so i chance getting it there instead of pulling over, Probably not too smart but i dont have a fire extinguisher in the car, I do in the garage and im 2 minutes from home. I never end up having to use it thankfully.

I get on to my street and it just dawns on me that the possibility of the airbag going off could occur if this is some electrical short or fire in the column since wiring for the airbag is present there. But i make it home safely and the smoke dies down by then to none at all....But i start smelling the acrid smell of an electrical short or fire.

I leave the car running to see if its something under the hood in the fuse/relay panel and i get out of the car quickly, Notice nothing under hood wrong but cornering lamp is on at the left side without the directional being on. I hit the stalk to turn left directional on and it comes on but cornering lamp blows out when i do. Right side works ok.

Anyone know what happened here? Is it possible the directional indicator or cornering lamp wiring in the steering column shorted out or burnt?

I cant drive a car with smoke coming out of the column...damn!

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Yup. ^^^ What Ranger said. It's been posted here before. Kinda weird Huh. Who would think.

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
i have the same thing on my 93 too
my drivers side cornering light stays on all the times unless i hold the stalk up a tad.

annoying to say the least

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Yeah, what they said. It can be caused by a loose connection in the turn signal switch that generates extra heat especially with the brake on. Keep an eye out for other T/S or brake light problems

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for responding!. Have to wonder why i use the "zen" in my handle lol, I guess i forget all that when smoke is coming out my steering column!

That is the weirdest thing and so is the explanation for it! I`m thinking no one might have ever had this problem and then a couple of you reply with "Thats normal, happened before" lol

Thanks again!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I have seen it a number of times. I'd suggest getting ready to replace the turn signal switch.
Something may stop working soon. What it starts out as is a bad connection between two contacts that causes high resistance, that generates excess heat and starts burning the grease.
A set of contacts is on the way out.
Better to get ready than to wait until something quits working when you need it.
;)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I`ll knock that out of the way before it does completely fail!

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6 V-6
277 Posts
zentrade,

Glad to see that it was not a serious problem for you. I never knew this one and I'll have to remember it, but I would still recommend a fire extinguisher in your car. I carry one in every vehicle.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! Yep, fire extinguisher is now standard equipment after that weird incident lol

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,731 Posts
I have seen it a number of times. I'd suggest getting ready to replace the turn signal switch.
Something may stop working soon. What it starts out as is a bad connection between two contacts that causes high resistance, that generates excess heat and starts burning the grease.
A set of contacts is on the way out.
Better to get ready than to wait until something quits working when you need it.
;)
My '94 Deville had some smoke coming out of the column about 3 years and 40k miles ago, but the turn signal switch still works fine. :confused:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Hard to say, sometimes just a little grease burns off and you are fine.
It is really a personal judgement call, my professional advice is to get it replaced... the rest is up to the individual.
You can always wait until it quits.
To be honest I have never seen one go up in smoke because of the grease smoking on the turn signal switch.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,731 Posts
Hard to say, sometimes just a little grease burns off and you are fine.
It is really a personal judgement call, my professional advice is to get it replaced... the rest is up to the individual.
You can always wait until it quits.
To be honest I have never seen one go up in smoke because of the grease smoking on the turn signal switch.
Well, if it goes up in a ball of flames....I'll let ya know! :) I'll probably just wait until it quits to replace it.

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
Well, if it goes up in a ball of flames....I'll let ya know! :) I'll probably just wait until it quits to replace it.
Just be warned, it can be a pain once it goes lol

If that is my problem, which im still a bit unsure of... I have to drive down the road holding the turn signal lever in one hand to keep the cornering lamp off, if i let go the lever falls abit and the light comes on. Not a huge issue in the day, but early morning and night it appears as if my brights are always on and shines into oncoming traffic so i have to hold in place to keep it off. I need to either pull the bulb or get the instructions on how to open the column and replace what part it is which is broken.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts