Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seeing more and more DeVille's (and other cars for that matter) that have a rear end that sags to the ground. It looks as though there is 200 pounds of stuff in the trunk, but there is noone in the back seat or anything. Why do these cars do this? I thought the car had an auto level control, so this would seem even more unlikely to happen. It makes the car just look old and beat, and I see it SOOOOO much in these devilles. I hope to god mine doesnt look like that when Im driving. Anyone know why this happens and how I can check to see if mine is sitting right in the back??

·
Registered
20 Posts
off the top of my head...airbags crap or leak...line leaks...pump gives out...level sensor snaps off9very common)....instead of fixing the problem...they just ride it like that

i have 200lbs in the trunk...and i sit nice and level:D

·
Registered
989 Posts
It's with the mass torque and speed of the devilles, The front end rises up a little when in a lower gear so the back sags down a bit. It flattens out at about 120ish. DeVilles create mad power though. :histeric:

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Its because people dont want to maintain the rear leveling system. They let it start sagging, and then it self destructs the compressor... Sad... :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know my leveler works in my 90 Deville, since it has a small leak somewhere and the compressor runs a lot - they're VERY loud! I had to turn the vibration part of my car alarm off, the leveler was constantly setting off the alarm! Also, I regularly fly out of town for a week and have to pull the fuse for the leveler or I come back to a dead battery. But I don't dare leave it disconnected all the time because I know exactly what you mean! I don't want my rear end sagging, it looks SO tacky! A friend of mine has an 88 Deville, also leaks (and he has a light on his info panel that illuminates "Auto Leveler" when it's running) but he can't find a fuse to disconnect his. And his leveler compressor is louder than mine!

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
The compressor shuts itself off after a couple minutes, so it takes awhile for a leaky line to kill a compressor, but it will make it die sooner. The compressor on my 78 comes on once in awhile when I have people in the back seats, not very often though so I'm not sure how leaky it is. It's not all that loud either.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, how do I make sure mine is working? Ive nevr heard a comprssor noise from my car; what does it sound like, when does it go on, etc??

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
It sounds sort of like a small air compressor because that's what it is. I forget if those Cadillacs have a light that come on while it's leveling or not, most do. Pay attetion for some sort of noise or the light the next few times you drive it and if it's working you should notice it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
RAMAIR57 said:
Well, how do I make sure mine is working? Ive nevr heard a comprssor noise from my car; what does it sound like, when does it go on, etc??
Try climbing into your trunk and wait a few seconds to see if it levels. I can hear my compressor running from several cars away in my parking lot. Also, I can hear the relay switching on and off while driving. The relay is in the relay panel under the glove box (on my 90 Deville, anyway). Also, my info panel does not have a display for when it's running, I doubt the 92 does either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would recommend you go to your local library, and see if they have a repair manual (Chiltons, Motors, Clymer, Haynes, ....whatever) for your particular car. Most libraries often do. For your particular problem tho, you might need the factory (cadillac) service manual. It probably has an overview of the system, with some basic (and in-depth) troubleshooting tests......... You might buy one on ebay, or post a request to borrow one (for a few hours) locally. Can you say, scanner ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, I just fixed mine. The rubber boots on the air struts were leaking. I only noticed it when towing or hauling a trunkload of heavy items. The rear sags quite a bit. The compressor will turn on about 15-20 seconds after the ignition is switched on and only runs for about 15 seconds. The system must pace itself, because I've never noticed it trying to keep up with the leak.

I mail ordered Monroe struts from RockAuto.com Installation was a mixed bag. Removal and installation of the struts from the car is a breeze. Removing and replacing the strut mounting bracket on the top of the strut was pretty hard. After installation, I didn't notice any difference on the ride height. I'm sure that it moved at least 1/2 inch, but not much more. However, the change is quite noticable when putting weight in the rear, because the system does its job and levels the car, again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wondered what that was... I just bought my 93 DeVille on june 2nd and it made that air sound and I was like "now what is it?" I did notice a black wire connector on the rear strut... but didnt put 2 and 2 together til now. So I guess mine works. and the car doesnt sag at all.

·
Registered
169 Posts
my 96 doesn't sag, the compressor comes on for about 10 sec when exiting the car sometimes and its not very loud. ive never seen a light for it either. guess im lucky thats my 2 cents

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
96CADDYDEVILLE