Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue where the fuel light and fuel gauge are not displaying correct readings. Yesterday morning I dropped my car off for the the sunroof switch recall, rorate, oil change and to have them look at the fuel indicator issues. As an example of the fuel gauge oddity, on the way in to the dealership the car showed almost 1/4 of a tank but the low fuel light had come on and remained on the entire drive. I drove to the dealership and the gauge didn't move at all. I restarted the car and the gauge moved down just a bit and the low fuel light was then off. I very cleared stated the issue to the service advisor and even showed her the picture below. The dealership dropped the car off to me at work and picked up the loaner they gave me. Despite only 5 miles driven on the car since it was dropped off, the fuel gauge showed well below empty. Probably the furthest I've seen it below empty. The paperwork states:

"When the vehicle is being driven the computer averages the fuel level due to it sloshing around in tank. When shut vehicle off and start it another time, the computer starts over averaging it. It usually ends up a little higher and eventually goes down"

I am so tired of Cadillac techs stating things are normal that clearly are not normal. No one bothers to comprehend the actual issue. No one will ever call to verify an issue or talk to the customer. How can you work in a maintenance career field and do a halfway decent job if you never talk to your customers that are having problems?

My service advisor is great. She does a wonderful job and takes car of me. One of the reasons I continue to take my car to her, but the techs just seem to not bother.

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado Biarritz
451 Posts
Well the technician is probably being paid .2 hrs in order to diagnose your issue. So they get paid an amount "per hour" (which is not clock hours but flat rate hours out of a book). Let call it $20 (it varies by region, employer and qualifications). That means he is getting paid $4 to diagnose this issue and has 12 minutes to do it before he starts losing money. It is a bad system. I am in this industry and I hate the idea of this system and choose to pay my guys much differently. But, that is the truth of the situation. If he can't find the problem in 12 minutes he cuts his losses and moves on. Getting you on the phone would probably take twelve minutes. I wouldn't crum the technician too bad he is just trying to feed his family in a bad system. The only way you are likely to get this resolved is to speak with your service writer and systematically submit your complaints via GM corporate and hope they stand behind their product.

Knowing how the system is supposed to work and seeing your picture it is hard for me to imagine the issue being anywhere other than the instrument cluster. The low fuel light is supposed to be lit under 11%. It is above 11% by the gauge. Either the lamp has been lit in error or the gauge needle is indicating above its commanded value. But, they don't always put all the information in the manuals and training. There could be some strategy that causes the lamp to be lit above 11%. So I wouldn't walk in the dealer and demand a cluster. Just ask your service writer about elevating the complaint to corporate and see how they can help you.

From what I have heard this is not an isolated issue with the ATS fuel gauge. But these cars are still under warranty so I haven't had many in the shop and none for this issue.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
Over the years (5th Cadillac) I have made it a point to get friendly with the shop manager. We are able to talk about a problem on a level that he understands my concern and we can talk about usual causes. 99% of the time I get the car back, fixed right the first time.

12,778 Posts
I am having an issue where the fuel light and fuel gauge are not displaying correct readings. Yesterday morning I dropped my car off for the the sunroof switch recall, rorate, oil change and to have them look at the fuel indicator issues. As an example of the fuel gauge oddity, on the way in to the dealership the car showed almost 1/4 of a tank but the low fuel light had come on and remained on the entire drive. I drove to the dealership and the gauge didn't move at all. I restarted the car and the gauge moved down just a bit and the low fuel light was then off. I very cleared stated the issue to the service advisor and even showed her the picture below. The dealership dropped the car off to me at work and picked up the loaner they gave me. Despite only 5 miles driven on the car since it was dropped off, the fuel gauge showed well below empty. Probably the furthest I've seen it below empty. The paperwork states:

"When the vehicle is being driven the computer averages the fuel level due to it sloshing around in tank. When shut vehicle off and start it another time, the computer starts over averaging it. It usually ends up a little higher and eventually goes down"

I am so tired of Cadillac techs stating things are normal that clearly are not normal. No one bothers to comprehend the actual issue. No one will ever call to verify an issue or talk to the customer. How can you work in a maintenance career field and do a halfway decent job if you never talk to your customers that are having problems?

My service advisor is great. She does a wonderful job and takes car of me. One of the reasons I continue to take my car to her, but the techs just seem to not bother.

Hello carpenter,

We sincerely apologize that you are experiencing concerns with the fuel gauge on your ATS and that your experience with the Cadillac Technicians was less than satisfactory. As always, please feel free to PM us if we can be of any assistance.

Kind Regards,

Samantha N
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
2014 Red Obsession ATS Premium 3.6L
601 Posts
I also recently had a fuel-related issue. In thr middle of a road trip where I know for sure I have more than 1/2 a tank left, the gauge suddenly dropped to zero and fuel light turned on. it stayed that way for 1/2 hr then returned normal. it happened again in the same road trip. I called onstar and they were able to run diagnostics and contacted my dealer with the diag report. next day when I bring the car in, they foudn that the fuel sensor was shorted. so u probably should call onstar right when it happen so that the tech wouldnt be able to lie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts