Cadillac Owners Forum banner

This is about to get interesting.

3K views 48 replies 18 participants last post by  talismandave 
#1 ·
#31 ·
Have you driven an EcoBoost motor? It's better than any engine any Continental has ever had.

----------

Needs bigger wheels because who wants a comfortable ride. And all the chrome on the dash should be great for blinding glare.
It's a concept. Come on...

----------

I also find it hysterical when people hear things they don't like and proclaim failure.

Not a land barge. Fail.
Not a V8. Fail.
Doesn't have cloth roof. Fail.

Whatever.

Cars can't be too large boats because of crash safety demands.
Turbo 6 motors today are far better. They can be smoother, torquier, more the part of a luxury car than older 8s.
FWD is for economy cars. Yet, I'll accept it as part of a whole if the whole is good. But RWD is much better.

#10 ·
I have not been a big Lincoln fan, but when I have been attracted to Lincoln it has always been called a "Continental." But then I have not been known to love all Cadillacs either, most of the Cadillacs that I have owned have been called Sevilles.

Lincoln has produced some of the Great cars of the last 60 years of the Twentieth Century. In each case the car has carried the Continental nameplate. I hope Lincoln is successful in bringing yet another true "luxury" car to the market place, ..... and let's hope that Cadillac does the same.

I like the idea of keeping a car's technology as inconspicuous as possible, especially in a luxury car. Beautifully, yet elegantly conservative, styling combined with top quality materials and finishes, and quiet isolation from the surrounding noise pollution are the key elements I would look for in an owner driven/chauffeur driven car.

#13 ·
Absolutely dead-pan serious. Cadillac is building cookie-cutter crap nowadays.

When the STS gives up it's Goodbye GM.

----------

Needs bigger wheels because who wants a comfortable ride.
Of course, you can always poke through the aftermarket wheels threads in CTS.

#17 · (Edited)
Correct. There were precious few F55 Seville Touring Sedans made compared to the total FWD STS production. Glad you noticed.

Of the 229,462 FWD N* STS built over the model run, 12,303, or about 5% were F55. "Cookie cutter" enough ?

(of course that discounts the qualifier "nowadays".)

#18 · (Edited)
So, a mere suspension option on a mass-produced vehicle that shares it's underpinnings across it's brands other models, plus more from other makes, is all it takes to disqualify... you should probably consider the big picture before you throw the term COOKIE CUTTER around. By your definition, my Crown Vic isn't cookie cutter either (oh dear).

Yippee!

#20 ·
So, a mere suspension option ........................
Ah, but it wasn't an option. ALL STS from 01-15-02 through the end of production in 12/03 were F55 cars. All 12,303. :yawn:

As far as your Crown Vic goes, I guess there was also a pretty fair number built - but if you lay your hands on a decent "police" model that sort of takes it out of the mainstream, no ?

#27 ·
I think they have realized that the tradition of their brand and trade-name and trademark have important historical significance.
Instead of running from it, they appear to be embracing it.
The design is a bit of an homage to the slab side 60's.
The return of the Continental name, even though, gasp...... it was on the old velour lux boats.
A roof design that favors the interior occupant over having a fastback copy of Mercedes.
If it goes into production and is priced competitively to the Cadillac XYZ (or whatever it is) it will be interesting to see the sales of each.

I doubt they will redesign the company logo, they seem to have pride in it.
They seem to have instead concentrated on product over percetion.
Also would cost some money to redesign the lights!

http://postimage.org/

#25 ·
Larger diameter wheels ride just fine in OEM applications. This isn't 1975 anymore. Tire tech has improved, suspension tech has improved, and perhaps the car can have half a chance of handling somewhat decently with actual wheels and tires instead of tea saucers and balloons.

#28 ·
talismandave said:
I think they have realized that the tradition of their brand and trade-name and trademark have important historical significance. Instead of running from it, they appear to be embracing it. The design is a bit of an homage to the slab side 60's. The return of the Continental name, even though, gasp...... it was on the old velour lux boats. A roof design that favors the interior occupant over having a fastback copy of Mercedes. If it goes into production and is priced competitively to the Cadillac XYZ (or whatever it is) it will be interesting to see the sales of each. I doubt they will redesign the company logo, they seem to have pride in it. They seem to have instead concentrated on product over percetion. Also would cost some money to redesign the lights! http://postimage.org/ http://postimage.org/
Lincoln is near death they have no sales to back up anything about tradition. Ford spending billions to try to rescue the brand it's looking good but that logo is looking old

#32 ·
I'll try to skip over my general FoMoCo ranting about Lincoln and Ford's treatment of it (and Mercury for that matter) but hopefully this represents a turn of direction when direction (and consequently appeal) seems to have been mostly missing the last decade.

I think it's an interesting direction to go and overall I think it's attractive, even if I see a LOT of Rover 75 and Bentley Mulsanne in the design. I'm not sure about the show car late 70's style faux fur carpeting and 80s blue interior but I think there's enough promise with the styling that the right detailing (IE, lose the friggen pushbutton tranny already!) could make this really stand out. But who exactly is supposed to be buying this?

#46 ·
Well, when I read the title of thread, this is the first thing came to my mind: is this going to be like another white (or black) Lincoln Town car that will be only used as a limo/ high end taxi?

I really wish they could put a V-8 in it so that we all can see what is the size of market for big, luxury car with a V-8 engine? I really like to know the answer. I am not taking any side, I am very open minded and objective on this and like to know is there still a considerable demand for such a car? And by demand I mean actual buyers that will be going to the dealers to buy one.

#35 ·
I know it's a concept car and that they always put huge wheels on them for the "wow factor" I was just making a joke. I just don't like the trend of ever larger wheels for the sake of style, 18-19 in. is big enough. A 4 door sedan doesn't need 20 wheels and 40 series rubber and I don't need to feel every bump, crack, expansion joint and pothole on my daily commute. I do however like the shape of the Continental concept and hope that Lincoln gives it a suspension that gives it a luxury car ride with good handling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.