Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I have a 89 deville. The car was running great then the other night my gf got stuck along side the road with it. When I got there some very strange things where going on.

1. The Engine cranks but does not start
2. Service Engine lights stay on even after key is removed
3. Trunk will not close
4. Power windows do not work
5. interior lights dont work
6. No headlights

The only diag code I get is e19 which I believe is short in fuel pump relay. I have had any time to play with the relay yet but it sounds like a lot more then just a relay to me. She said it was running fine when she went to go through a light from a stop the car sputtered and then quite. Can anyone point me in a direction of where to start? Where is the fuel pump relay located? The only change in the past couple of days was a new water put was installed 3 days before this.

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
Cadillac coupe Deville 1988
11 Posts
Sounds like the alternator may have quit resulting in a drained battery. This is a real wild guess though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When she first called I thought the same. When I got there the motor turned over perfectly and just to make sure I also jumped it with the same result.

Thanks though

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey got sometime to spend on the car tonight and she is running perffect! There is a ground that mounts on to to the wheel well on the righht side under the hood it was loose! I really have to say to have one nut disable a whole car is beyond me! I guess we can mark it up to another over priced gm POS!!!!!!!! By forgein lmao!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2000 DEVILLE,2001 STS.
122 Posts
I hope my Caddy lives to be 18yrs old. I'd gladly tighten a nut and be on my way with money still in my wallet. You should be thanking your car she's running purrfect.

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
hey got sometime to spend on the car tonight and she is running perffect! There is a ground that mounts on to to the wheel well on the righht side under the hood it was loose! I really have to say to have one nut disable a whole car is beyond me! I guess we can mark it up to another over priced gm POS!!!!!!!! By forgein lmao!!!!!!!
Notwithstanding the 18-year old car, I have to agree that for one piece to work loose and thus disable the entire vehicle is kinda odd...

While I'm not sure you'd wanna WELD a ground wire on, one would think in this day and age a mechanism could be developed that would LOCK the nut or bolt onto its' mounting for the life of the car, and yet enable removal with the correct tool and/or procedure.

However, I'd bet the situation is not restricted to GM. I doubt that most car companies put a lot of effort into that small, but very critical component. They're too busy adding Bluetooth and GPS and power rear ashtrays and all.

Glad ya got 'er going agin'...

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Re your recommendation to keep bolts from coming loose, I have just invented a couple of ways to accomplish that.

I am going to call the first one a "lock nut." I might even invent a "lock washer.

Then I am going to invent "super glue."

Lastly, I will invent a pair of pliars to screw up the threads on the end of a bolt. I am not sure what I will call that.

When I become a millionnaire with these inventions, I won't even need to visit the forum for advice. I can just buy it somewhere.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Go to the black board and write 100 times:

"My glass is half full, not half empty."

Then go back to your seat.

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
Re your recommendation to keep bolts from coming loose, I have just invented a couple of ways to accomplish that.

I am going to call the first one a "lock nut." I might even invent a "lock washer.
That's exactly what I was thinking... a lock nut with a twist wire should hold something like that through thick and thin, yet be able to be loosened if/when necessary. Oh well...

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Notwithstanding the 18-year old car, I have to agree that for one piece to work loose and thus disable the entire vehicle is kinda odd...

They're too busy adding Bluetooth and GPS and power rear ashtrays and all.
Glad ya got 'er going agin'...
Hey Jim,

Quit bad mouthing my power rear ashtrays. :) I like 'em.

Jim from Texas

·
Registered
2002 Deville, 1990 Deville
62 Posts
Very seldom does a 18 year old nut or bolt loosen on a car. Most times you have to work real hard to get one to come loose. I would bet the car was worked on at one time, mechanical or body work, and someone forgot to tighten it. I have a 90 Caddie and I think the workmanship is very good.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Very seldom does a 18 year old nut or bolt loosen on a car. Most times you have to work real hard to get one to come loose. I would bet the car was worked on at one time, mechanical or body work, and someone forgot to tighten it. I have a 90 Caddie and I think the workmanship is very good.
His first post said he had a water pump replaced 3 days before, The ground wire had probably been taken off during that procedure and not replaced properly.

It was the mechanics fault and nothing to do with the car itself.... no matter WHAT AGE the car was.

Jim from Texas

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would of thought the water pump had something to do with it too. But since I did the job myself and the ground is on the other side of the vehicle there was no way I could of touched it. Yes the car is 18 years old and it is odd the nut was loose. By loose I mean a quater of a turn so it was probably more corroded then loose. I just found it funny that something so minor would cause all the problems that it did. When I got to the car and seen everything going on I thought the wiring harness had a melt down lmao! Dont get me wrong a bad ground on any car will cause problems. Its just when I looked at the negitive battery terminal and saw a spider web of ground wires I got a good laugh and knew where my problem was. Just a update I went over every ground on the car to make sure they all had good connection and am sure it will stay grounded for another 18 years lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts