Registered
04 V Raven
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Absolutely not a bargain unless you need drive train or something major like that.

YOU CANNOT GET A CLEAN TITLE FOR THIS CAR--IN ANY STATE.

Notes on body work:
1. Body shop bought factory sticker on plastic cover over radiator. They pay $40 for them. Installing factory stickers gives impression that car has not had any front end damage. Many body shops do not want to buy the stickers.

2. Body shop forgot to paint bolts (in same color as fender) on driver side.
3. Lining up of hood and grill give away the prior damage.

Again, you cannot legally drive this car in the US of A.

Interesting that seller shows current tags on it.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Absolutely not a bargain unless you need drive train or something major like that.

YOU CANNOT GET A CLEAN TITLE FOR THIS CAR--IN ANY STATE.

Notes on body work:
1. Body shop bought factory sticker on plastic cover over radiator. They pay $40 for them. Installing factory stickers gives impression that car has not had any front end damage. Many body shops do not want to buy the stickers.

2. Body shop forgot to paint bolts (in same color as fender) on driver side.
3. Lining up of hood and grill give away the prior damage.

Again, you cannot legally drive this car in the US of A.

Interesting that seller shows current tags on it.
It may be true that you cannot sell the car without disclosing the fact that it has a salvage title but I don't think there is any absolute prohibitiion against driving such car as long as it has been repaired enough to pass state inspections. At one time you could move such a car to a different state and retitle without the salvage disclosure, but they may have closed that loop hole. The salvage title merely indicates that some insurance company decided that the cost of the required repairs exceeded the value of the car.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
Now that would be cool. Why buy a new car to take chance on trashing it. If you buy it trashed (salvage title) then no need to worry about getting a salvage title.

Man, you guy's are always thinking!

I would ask them if the frame (uni-body) is straight though. Seems like replacing the parts they say they did should still fall under the replacement cost of the car.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Now that would be cool. Why buy a new car to take chance on trashing it. If you buy it trashed (salvage title) then no need to worry about getting a salvage title.

Man, you guy's are always thinking!

I would ask them if the frame (uni-body) is straight though. Seems like replacing the parts they say they did should still fall under the replacement cost of the car.
My post just went to the general subject of salvage title cars being "street legal.". I have no doubt that the particular car that gave rise to this thread has some undisclosed "surprise" for its new owner.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
My post just went to the general subject of salvage title cars being "street legal.". I have no doubt that the particular car that gave rise to this thread has some undisclosed "surprise" for its new owner.
Agreed.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Hell- if you could buy it for under 10k, you could recoup a large part of the investment selling stock parts to CTS guys (exhaust, interior, xenons, sways, shocks, springs, NAV, etc).

I'm actually considering looking into this car.....

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Hell- if you could buy it for under 10k, you could recoup a large part of the investment selling stock parts to CTS guys (exhaust, interior, xenons, sways, shocks, springs, NAV, etc).

I'm actually considering looking into this car.....
Yes, the sum of the parts is likely more than the whole.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
And they forgot the rubber trim under the front spoiler. Why can nobody seem to get these replaced??

·
Registered
04CTSVsc
854 Posts
I don't think it looks that bad. No you wouldn't be able to get a nonsalvage title on this car, but I'm pretty sure you could register it in many states as long as it passes inspection. Not sure about insurance--that might be something to look into for the buyer. It all depends on what you want from the car. Yes, a potentially great track car. It would be worth getting your favorite body shop to go over it with a fine tooth comb, or even a Caddy dealership. Heck, I wrecked my Impala SS and was forced to have it repaired to the tune of 16K, including a new frame, and I drove that thing without a hitch for about 60K miles until I sold it. Yes, I disclosed everything to the buyer, who didn't care. And what's scary is that the accident never showed up on Carfax.

Anyone Carfax this thing yet? I love the church in the background:thumbsup:

And Tony, if I were in your position, I would consider buying it too--you have all the resources available to you.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Don't forget the warranty is null and void. Just have a dealer run the VIN and they'll tell you. Aftermarket warranty wouldn't start until after the term of the orignal runs out,

·
Registered
BANK OWNED!! CTSV & EXT
1,689 Posts
If you know what the deal is with it and you still want it, then there is no reason you shouldn't get it. The only thing thing wrong with the salvage title is that you can't sell it with a clean title, but if you got it cheap then you probably wouldn't loose much anyway.

You can absolutely drive a car with a salvage title. No state has a problem with that.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Some of you guys are right.

1. use it for racing.
2. strip it and part it out if you have the space, etc.

Some used car dealers would put a dealer tag on it and drive it until they get caught. At that point, state confiscates car.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
If you know what the deal is with it and you still want it, then there is no reason you shouldn't get it. The only thing thing wrong with the salvage title is that you can't sell it with a clean title, but if you got it cheap then you probably wouldn't loose much anyway.

You can absolutely drive a car with a salvage title. No state has a problem with that.
When you take car to DMV, and they see Salvage Title stamped on it, they will issue another salvage title. They will not issue tags.

I am curious. How do you get tags for a car with salvage title???

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts