Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a conversation with my wife this evening about the V. She's not happy about the constant driveline clunking, the difficult to engage-1st gear transmission, and the monthly dealer visits. I agreed that I'm not happy with those issues either, but I love the car anyway. She asked me why I love the car so much, and I thought about it...the LS6. Its all about the LS6. And then I thought more about how I could keep this sexy-black beautiful-motored heartbreaker for a while...

In order for this car to be something I'll keep for many years, and enjoy, it needs some real money. Money for the rear-end that shouldn't break every 4K miles and not go clunkity-clunk, money for the flywheel that doesn't make the giggly-giggly every time I step off the clutch, money for the driveshaft that doesn't have 10lbs of rubber mounting...making the giggly-giggly and clunkity-clunk even worse, money for the trailing arm bushings that don't creak/bang/break from turning at higher than parking lot speeds, and money to stiffen the rear sub-frame/cradle so as to keep the wheel-hop from fukcing all that other work to Hell. I figure that's going to be around $10grand. A little less than one third it's current value, 6months old...9K miles. Over time it could be done, heck, I'd do almost anything to keep that LS6. I love that motor...

If the sexy-black car in my driveway didn't have that damn motor in it, I wouldn't have it, never would've looked at it...there'd be an STi in it's place and probably another NYRegion SoloII trophy in my garage. And then I remembered that there's another vehicle with that motor....That other vehicle is regarded as a reasonably stout platform, with even more ability to be made "my own" with aftermarket support. It likes to play rough, to corner, to accelerate, to dodge cones and cut apexes on road courses. I plan on selling my bike anyway, so there's room in the garage...And with the cash I'd save on the monthly payment, I could buy a station-car. There's still low mile examples out there, and with the current release of the C6 Z06 the prices should drop more.

I'm way too obsesive/compulsive to have such a thought dancing in my head, and would certainly value the opinions of the sane (although finding those on this board, especially from the Maggied, may be difficult). So what say you, fellow V-pilots, something I should explore?

-ace

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
ace996 said:
opinions of the sane (although finding those on this board, especially from the Maggied, may be difficult). So what say you, fellow V-pilots, something I should explore?

-ace
Hey.. I resemble that comment..:histeric:

Less conversating to the wife, more driving V on the twisties..:highfive:

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
I'm hearing a trend.. is this a dark and very cold winter in the frozen noreast? No flame intended, sounds like early cabin fever.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
heavymetals said:
I use the old rule of thumb of investing at least 20% of the purchase price to hop-up a car.

I don't consider rims a hop-up (no flame please).

Maybe you should try a STS-V when they are available (to appease the wife).
I hear you Heavy, but it's only manuals in this house...only Honda Element on LI with a stick! After I made her learn stick, she'd never go back...:thumbsup:
And she loves the '04 LeMans Z06....:eek:

And 20% for mods isn't a bad measure...I'd probably agree, but I don't consider the above "mods"...that's just what's needed to keep the car from self-destructing. Shite, I'm one of the poor SOBs who don't even have headers....
-ace

·
Registered
325 Posts
My take on it is if you need a 4 door (or at least a back seat), then stick with the 4 door vette and put the money into it. If you don't, then get the Vette!

I have an almost 2 year old and another one on the way. Even though this is my toy that I only drive in the summer, I still need to be able to fit the little ones in it or I will never get to drive the car. So my plan is to keep the V, invest in the rear end so I can have fun at the drags once in a while, and then do other mods over time.

Also, I do love the car and have no plans to lose a ton of money, and for what? Besides the Vette, there aren't a whole lot of options. GTO maybe? Mustang? They don't compare.

Hope my perspective helps a bit.

·
Registered
none
302 Posts
ace996 said:
I hear you Heavy, but it's only manuals in this house...only Honda Element on LI with a stick! After I made her learn stick, she'd never go back...:thumbsup:
And she loves the '04 LeMans Z06....:eek:

And 20% for mods isn't a bad measure...I'd probably agree, but I don't consider the above "mods"...that's just what's needed to keep the car from self-destructing. Shite, I'm one of the poor SOBs who don't even have headers....
-ace
I didn't search to see if you have an 06 diff or not...I do now. Clunks are gone. Hmmm.

I really don't see however you have to spend 10gs to meet the goals. Here is the recipe...LS7 Flywheel/Clutch, KARS Stage II, 06 Diff.

If you want a Z, get an Eblue 02-03 for $30k. Keep in mind, it is much more visceral than the V. The V still is a Caddy compared to road noise, etc on the HWY of the Z.

BTW: I've had both 02 Z and 05 V (as well as an 01 C5 Coupe and 04 GTO). Based on your comments, I'd consider an 06 Z51 Vette instead. The C6 has the most refinement and the engine is an 01 Z06 motor with more displacement.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I appreciate your input. It is a difficult decision, especially because I believe the V can be the "perfect" car...I just don't want to take out a second mortgage to have it.

Update- I brought the car to the dealer this afternoon, and asked the master-tech, BillyBob, to take a ride with me. He knew what I was talking about even before I was able to leave the parking-lot, and he appologized for me having these constant issues. On depressing the clutch, there's a clunk in the back and...it seems...from the tranny/clutch area. I'm thinking that the dual-mass is shot, or the rubber mounts of the driveshaft. I asked if he had changed the diff-mount when the '06 diff was installed...two weeks ago, and he said yes...all new parts. So I have an appointment to bring it in next week.

Like a woman who is almost perfect, sexy looks...wicked performance but just asks for a little too much attention, this car is breaking my heart again. Updates to follow,
ace

V

·
0 Posts
I got 15 track days on the '05 GTO after trading it on the V when it started whining with only 5 track days. Thanks to Corsa for covering the noises up on trade-in.

After hearing that nothing has changed for '06, I hope the Aussies come through for you guys that want to pay extra for something the factory should have done.

Yes, I am still checking-in and enjoy Florian and CVP's humor. :)

Norm

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Ace -

The answer is simple.

If you don't need 4 doors - then why have them? If the C5 Z06 will fit your needs better - I will tell you :thumbsup: all day long.

Just my maggiefied .02

When the twisties are there AND you need to haul more than one friend - the V is the answer. The clunkity clunkity giggly giggly is easily masked with headers and x-pipe - but your wife will make the temperature in the cabin about 30 degrees colder then it is right now if you do :nono:

·
Registered
05 cts v 06 2.8 cts
192 Posts
Guys i've had my v since may and of 22 new cars since 1980 it rocks!!!! I drive it hard my wife is scared to get in with me and will beg me to take the 03 slade . She doesn't drive the V and never will. I won't let here! She cooked the clutch in her 04 sentra spec V. $825 CND> to replace. 07 Escalade for her now and my 20 year old gets the Spec v. One thing about western canada since cop budget cutbacks you can drive nuts and fast and don't have to worry. Since may i've had 6 buddies to 160 mph for at least 10 miles ... Oil gets alittle warm but that's it. :devil: :devil:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts