Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enough is enough. The third rear end in the CTS is whining. I ordered a 2006 BMW 3 series today. They gave me 24.5K for my CTS (2005 with 13,000 miles):crying2: I am through with GM for good this time. Junk, Junk, Junk....

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
jrcase said:
Enough is enough. The third rear end in the CTS is whining. I ordered a 2006 BMW 3 series today. They gave me 24.5K for my CTS (2005 with 13,000 miles):crying2: I am through with GM for good this time. Junk, Junk, Junk....
I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. Sorry to see you go. I hope you enjoy your new BMW as much as I have enjoyed my CTS for the past 3 years.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I could be wrong, but isn't 3 times for the same major repair covered under the "Lemon Law"? It might vary from State to State, but I would have fought for a full refund or replacement.

·
Registered
305 Posts
just lou said:
I could be wrong, but isn't 3 times for the same major repair covered under the "Lemon Law"? It might vary from State to State, but I would have fought for a full refund or replacement.
Hes over the mileage limit of 12K.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I agree, I think if you go to the BMW web site you'll find that they are experiencing troubles of their own. My sister owns an 03 Z4 (leased) she loves the car BUT!!! is treated rudely by the dealership on repair work (Fields BMW). I believe most of this because she's a woman and they feel she nows Bubkiss about the car. The car has gone thru 3 Batteries because the computer will not shut down unless its locked (in her closed Garage?) stranded her twice because of this, It still won't go to sleep to this day (The computer).2 recalls plus several other oopsee's. Will she buy another? She's not sure. She likes the XLR and the CTS and would consider both since I'm one on this forum who has had good luck with both the car and dealership. I bought a 88 Chevy Baretta Brand New, it was the biggest piece of junk I ever saw or bought by anyone I know.(bought it twice factering in the repairs). I was hesitant to buy GM, but I purchased a 94 Grand Prix. Car wouldn't break. I sold it to my Brother with 125K miles on it. It now has over 170K still virtually trouble free. My point (for what its worth) any vehicle this complicated has some risks and unfortunatley you saw the bad. I hope your new ride turns out to be trouble-free. Good luck! and sorry to see you leave the forum under these circumstances

·
Registered
34 Posts
jrcase said:
Good luck with the 3 series. My neighbor went thru 1 engine a tranny, a h2o pump and a ecu all in 1 year on his 05. he traded it and said it would be his last bmw!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think every line has its "lemons". Don't think the Lemon Law says a thing about mileage however. Definately should have given it a shot...........

JET

·
Registered
987 Posts
It seems that many people with bad differentials have them replaced multiple times.... i wonder if this isn't just an issue with the differential, but with the entire drivetrain system, or possible linkages to the rear end

·
Registered
316 Posts
AsAkAs said:
It seems that many people with bad differentials have them replaced multiple times.... i wonder if this isn't just an issue with the differential, but with the entire drivetrain system, or possible linkages to the rear end
I could maybe understand if this was a problem during one model year production, but this has been a problem now going into its fourth model year.

The engineers at GM have got to know what's happening, they've had years to examine all of the bad differentials. The differential whine was the straw the broke the camels back for me in deciding to cut my losses and trade the CTS in on something else.

Bottom line, GM could have had this problem fixed years ago, if they wanted to spend the money. Someone is pinching pennies where they should not be pinched.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
strindl said:
I could maybe understand if this was a problem during one model year production, but this has been a problem now going into its fourth model year.

The engineers at GM have got to know what's happening, they've had years to examine all of the bad differentials. The differential whine was the straw the broke the camels back for me in deciding to cut my losses and trade the CTS in on something else.

Bottom line, GM could have had this problem fixed years ago, if they wanted to spend the money. Someone is pinching pennies where they should not be pinched.
What's cheaper? R&D a new diff design and figure out how to fit it in and hope it doesn't have problems, or just replace the diffs that have problems. From a business stand point, especially when dealing w/a hundred thousand+ cars, replacing the diffs in cars that have problems is cheaper. The new design could be just as bad. Moral of the story, don't let Germans build diffs.

·
Registered
362 Posts
HAH! I own a 05' MB C320 sedan. I have never heard the whining/moaning/groaning/grinding/howling/clunking shit in that car that I hear every day in the CTS. I know dozens of Mercedes owners and the diffs don't seem to cause a problem with them nor do they with the BMW crowd I know. If it did, they'd be the first to have it re-engineered and fixed. Someone is most definately pinching pennies at GM... the rear diff is a BIG problem, as we see on this site and should have been addressed a long time ago by GM -Bottom Line-

·
Registered
17 Posts
jrcase said:
Enough is enough. I have to agree with you when you say enough is enough. It is time to bail out of a bad situation with your present CTS. I have an '04 I bought new with 1SC and sport package and have had no problems so far. I have 22000 miles on it and only problems have been two recalls which my dealer promptly took care of. I can't help but feel however, that when anyone buys a car in the $40000.00 range MSRP, it should be virtually trouble free. From all I have read, on this forum, over the past couple of years, the CTS is far from being that. I wish I had not bought mine but my wife wanted it way bad and I could not get any Acura dealer to come off MSRP on '04 TL as the new design had just come out and they all thought they had the ultimate car ever built. I must say, it was pretty nice car (except for front wheel drive) but not a must have car. I would not buy another GM car after all I have heard about the CTS on this forum. Also would recommend not buying a BMW as they are the ultimate driving machine when they are not in the repair shop. I bought a new '97 BMW 540I and had many repair problems with it. It was all expensive stuff to fix and the car was in for repair about every 3 months after the first year of ownership. I got rid of it with 34000 miles on it with it still under warranty from the factory. I shudder to think of what that car would have cost to maintain after the warranty expired. Also, have a friend that bought a new 530I in 1999 and had problem after problem with it and finally got rid of it last year. Replaced it with a Honda Accord V6 which has been trouble free. My next car is going to be from one of the Jap big three either Nissan, Honda, or Toyota. I am after realiability and could care less how wonderful a car handles etc. . Again, I would say get rid of your lemon CTS but do not buy German either or you are going to have repair problems with any of their offerings.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
jcamaro427 said:
jrcase said:
I bought a new '97 BMW 540I and had many repair problems with it. It was all expensive stuff to fix and the car was in for repair about every 3 months after the first year of ownership. I got rid of it with 34000 miles on it with it still under warranty from the factory. I shudder to think of what that car would have cost to maintain after the warranty expired.
Interesting... I had a 2001 540I with sport pkg - had no trouble with it whatsoever over about 80k... But then, it's true, one can have problems with any of them... Even Honda & Toyota hack up a furball now & then...

I've had good luck with a couple Hondas & a Toyota MR2 - a real fun little car. Also have had real good luck with 3 Audis - couple of 5000s & a GT coupe. Hope that the new A6 (got the 4.2 V8) treats us well... So far - couple thousand miles - it's a dream... Great power, superb handling & really, really quiet - quite a change from our CTS limping along on 3rd failing rear end... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
jcamaro427 said:
I would not buy another GM car after all I have heard about the CTS on this forum.
So you own the CTS, it's been virtually trouble-free since you bought it, and you're still saying "never again" because of a few stories on an internet forum? That's just bizarre. Doesn't your own experience count for anything? There are many, many satisfied owners of the CTS who have driven Cadillac to the top of the customer satisfaction surveys.

My brother's Honda Accord has been through three alternators in 60k miles, you better stay away from Honda's too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
wait4me6920 said:
Interesting... I had a 2001 540I with sport pkg - had no trouble with it whatsoever over about 80k... But then, it's true, one can have problems with any of them... Even Honda & Toyota hack up a furball now & then...

I've had good luck with a couple Hondas & a Toyota MR2 - a real fun little car. Also have had real good luck with 3 Audis - couple of 5000s & a GT coupe. Hope that the new A6 (got the 4.2 V8) treats us well... So far - couple thousand miles - it's a dream... Great power, superb handling & really, really quiet - quite a change from our CTS limping along on 3rd failing rear end... :thumbsup:
I can only say what I know to be true about the '97 540Ia I bought new and the problems a friend of mine had with a '99 530. I perhaps overgeneralized on recommending staying away from all German manufacturers and for that I apologize to you.

I really do like the A6 Audi's and really appreciate the great quality of their interiors in all their models. My daughter bought a new TT right after their introduction a few years back and the interior was something to behold as far as material quality and fit etc. I was impressed with exterior fit and finish too, but seemed to me car was underpowered to an extent even with the optional engine which I think had 225 hp if I remember correctly. She did not keep the car for more than 8 months or so but had no problems with it during that time. She is in and out of cars constantly.

At any rate, I wish you nothing but good fortune with the new A6 and glad you got the V8. It ought to be a screamer. I really miss V8 power and would have bought the V model CTS except for the wife wanting automatic cause she cannot drive a standard shift car. But if I had bought a CTSV, I might be one of these dudes fussing about constant rear end failures. I just cannot believe as big as GM is, along with a huge staff of engineers, and also for as long as they have been in business plus the staggering number of rear wheel drive cars they have built thru the years, that they cannot find an answer to an obvious rear end failure problem on the CTS line.

·
Registered
17 Posts
sid_v said:
So you own the CTS, it's been virtually trouble-free since you bought it, and you're still saying "never again" because of a few stories on an internet forum? That's just bizarre. Doesn't your own experience count for anything? There are many, many satisfied owners of the CTS who have driven Cadillac to the top of the customer satisfaction surveys.

My brother's Honda Accord has been through three alternators in 60k miles, you better stay away from Honda's too. :rolleyes:
In spite of my having no problems with my CTS so far, I still say "never again" simply because of the volume of complaints posted on this forum regarding rear end failures and other problems as well. Any company with the resources and experience that GM has ought to be able to build cars with no differential problems to speak of--especially in their top of the line cars. If I could get out from under mine today without taking the tremendous beating on depreciation that these cars suffer from, I would do it in a heartbeat. I will change my opinion if I can get 120000 miles out of this car with no repairs required other than expendibles like I did with our last car which was an Infiniti Q-45T.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
sid_v said:

How many CTS's are on the road? I am sure that there are at least 60,000 CTS's sold a year. How many complaints are on this forum? 20-30? I think thats pretty darn good. When people have a problem they look for a place to post there bad experiences but when things are good they don't complain and wont end up posting anything.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
tomm said:
How many CTS's are on the road? I am sure that there are at least 60,000 CTS's sold a year. How many complaints are on this forum? 20-30? I think thats pretty darn good. When people have a problem they look for a place to post there bad experiences but when things are good they don't complain and wont end up posting anything.

I really hope this is true, Tomm, but realistically I doubt that one out of ten owners know of the board and could be far fewer... Our dealer had replaced 14 at last count I'm aware of (three or four months back), two of which were mine, & he is not a big volume dealer...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well I finally got mine back again today. Service manager at Massey wouldn't give me any receipt or explanation of what was wrong this time, said all it would be is fuel for my attorney to use against them. Thinking back I should have refused to take the car without the paperwork but I didn't. He and his mechanic still swear up and down it was the sub amp and Sirius unit which I know for a fact is pure bullshit. After getting it back I went straight to my stereo guy and had him go over the car. No problems whatsoever found. Then I went to another Caddy dealer who my stereo guy has done all the work for the past ten years. When I walked into the service office where four techs were sitting they all started laughing out loud when I told them what the Massey bunch had told me. One of them used to work there and said it wasn't unusual for them to try this "tact". Then the salesmen I know there came in and asked what the car was doing when I tried to start it up and it wouldn't fire. I didn't even have to finish explaining it when he said, "oh, that's a simple fix, reprogram the computer, we've done it here on two CTS's already.......no problem. While I was a little relieved at hearing all of this from veteran Caddy guys I was still not a happy camper and told them my intentions which they didn't argue about. I guess the moral of this sordid story is that it's the dealership and the quality of their mechanics, etc. Customer service doesn't hurt either IMO. I'm done with Cadillac after this.

JET

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
fsttyms1 said:
Good luck with the 3 series. My neighbor went thru 1 engine a tranny, a h2o pump and a ecu all in 1 year on his 05. he traded it and said it would be his last bmw!
i hope you do know that 5 spd auto in bmw 3 series is the same tranny that's in our cars.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts