Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I´m David from Spain (excuses if my english is not too good) and i´m thinking to buy an 2001 STS in Germany with 50.000 kilometers (31.000 miles) very good the inside and the outside of the car and a kilometers garantee. The price is 15.000 € (18.000), and i had to explain you this car is not too well known in my country (there are very few cadillacs in europe) and i have some doubts about if is a good car, if the engine is a reliable one, and if you can tell me the pros and cons of that car.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
By 2001 most of the problems with the car and its Northstar engine (headgaskets for example) were fixed or drastically improved. I would not hesitate to buy the car.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
167 Posts
I've tremendoulsy enjoyed my 98 STS 67,000 miles. I think it's a smooth, fast car that always looks good (mine has a fine pair of pin stripes on the side that I think really makes the car look longer and lower (ah, the ages old Cadillac mantra) and works great in slippery winter conditions. If only it had a five speed automatic. I've had some problems, but if you can get a GM warranty with the car you'll be fine.

If you're a really an enthusiastic driver, you'll probably prefer a BMW 540 or 740/750 but here they're far more expensive and seem to need plenty if expensive service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really enjoy driving but i´m not a race driver, i´m really a fan of confort , smooth and powerful cars like yours (american cars). A extrange thing about this car is that i see the documentation and even the firs matriculation is in 2001, the date of finished built is in july of 1998. Is that a problem date? Are the cars buildt before 2001 a problem? Please, give me a clue about this because i will travel to germany next tuesday and if i´m not sure of the cadillac i´d probably will buy an 2000 audi a8. Thank a lot.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood FWD / 2000 ETC / 2000 STS / 2006 STS V-8 1SF RWD
475 Posts
Hello...
What I think you are seeing is that there was a body style change in 1998 and those styling cues were basically kept until the Seville was discontinued in 2004.

I would encourage you to buy this car, however, you will find that it is not designed for European roads,
but you will enjoy driving it, nonetheless.

It will burn US octane 87 gasoline (not sure what the Europe equivilent is?)

Post back what you decide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in a smalltown near Madrid and we have good roads here, and i dont make too many miles per year now. The main problem for us in spain is not the roads, (they´re pretty well, but not as yours), the problem is to park a car in a big city like Madrid, but i don´t suffer it now. My last cars are a Mercedes ML and a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and they are big car here but they don´t worry me about the size. My main worry is that a don´t want a car that spends each week in the garage, even if you think the parts in Spain are thru GM-Opel service.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood FWD / 2000 ETC / 2000 STS / 2006 STS V-8 1SF RWD
475 Posts
Hola...

Bienvenidos a este sitio donde podemos discutir nuestros autos fenomenales!
Por favor, ponga cualquier pregunta a los miembros de este sitio...somos formidables y muy informativos!
Todas las partes que le haran falta para hacer reparaciones estaran disponibles (en el futuro), pero el hecho de que Vd esta en Espana le pueda causar (pocos) problemas...hay que continuar buscando y estoy seguro que Vd tendra exito en conseguir lo que necesita.

Vale

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
ElDawgg 2G said:
Hola...

Bienvenidos a nuestro sitio donde podemos discutir nuestros autos fenomenales!
No tenga miedo de preguntar cualquier pregunta a los miembros de este sitio...somos formidables y muy informativos!
Todas las partes que se necesita para hacer reparaciones estan disponibles, pero el hecho de que Vd esta en Espana le pueda causar (pocos) problemas...hay que continuar buscando y estoy seguro que Vd tendra exito.
Yeah, what he said . . . .

Exagerated? Perhaps. :)

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you don´t really have nothing to say about the STS? Sorry, but i don´t have a idea over the cuestion that if the car is a good buy against BMW and MB or Audi. Please help to clear my mind.

·
Registered
43 Posts
David, dont get me wrong the caddy is a great car. But if you have a choice between an sts and an audi A8.....please, please go for the A8. I have an sts and I like it a whole lot but there is no comparsion between an sts and an A8. The A8 is an awesome car with awesome looks, and realiablity. I had a 2000 S4 and a 98 Lexus GS400 before my caddy. Let me tell you I DOWNGRADED....big time. But I couldnt afford those cars anymore. So trust me go for the A8. You will be 10 times happier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
98GreySTSBrad: thanks, thanks a lot, that´s the kind of answer i need to read from a man with experiences in cadillacs and audi . So clear. Thanks again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No Problem David. Like I said I love my caddy but it can't compete with its european counterparts. I would love to see your A8 though if that what you decide on. What a car!

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
The base MSRP for a 2000 A8 is around $62k, the STS was $48k if I'm not mistaken and we all know how bad GMs got with its incentive program to move all its cars. So for an extra $14k + it damn well best be a superior car. I wouldn't call it a counterpart either with that price difference.

·
Registered
85 Eldo Biarritz
808 Posts
It is also funny that in Europe it is the American cars that are highly sought after. Everybody drives Mercedes Audis (a VW in disguise) or BMWs. Those are dime-a-dozen.

But a Caddy will turn some heads.

So of course in the US, everybody knocks down American cars and highly speaks of German cars.

It all depends on your perspective.

If you really look deeply into this, there are very few independent car manufacturers in the world. Most are merged or taken over by others (while retaining the original brand name).

On a funny note, I was rumaging through an old Audi 5000 (late 80s) in a junkyard. The climate control head was made by GM!

Peteski

·
Registered
none :-(
282 Posts
peteski said:
It is also funny that in Europe it is the American cars that are highly sought after. Everybody drives Mercedes Audis (a VW in disguise) or BMWs. Those are dime-a-dozen.

But a Caddy will turn some heads.
If I had to choose replacement for my Seville, I would avoid Audi. Only true competitors for me are BMW 7 od Mercedes Benz S-class. But so far I am very happy with my Seville. And yes, it turn some heads, but also keep thieves away, because what they could do with stolen (built-in) stereo in country in which there are just about 1-2 dozens of these cars? Audis, BMWs and MBs are most stolen cars here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now i have my A8 3.7 quattro and i would like to say, even i didn´t prove the caddy, the german it´s a outstanding car, it really surprise me by his power, smoothness and quality (it´s a 2000 model and it looks like new). Thanks a lot to everybody.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts