Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLS w/F45
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who doesn't know, I have owned my SLS for 2 years, I've had this car longer than I owned any car, it's my 12th car in the 6 years I had my license. Anyway, I have been thinking about getting an DTS for quite awhile now. I found this one at an dealer not too far from me, it's white and it has an sunroof! I think it's the base model though. My ex co worker owns an crimeson red DTS luxury 3. The DTS feels bigger than the Seville, and the SLS seems to accelerate a touch quicker, but the DTS is newer with more features, can someone please shine some light? What do y'all think? Is there anyone here who has owned both? Rather STS or SLS. I'm thinking about financing this and keeping the SLS, but they're very similar cars. My friends told me not to do it because they can't picture me driving anything but a blue Seville haha, they say Everytime they see a Seville they think about me... I read LOTS of horror stories about the DTS eating timing chains for dinner. Omac, please chime in... 3491239229.jpeg

Sent from my Coolpad 3622A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1999 SLS w/F45
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's a 2007 with a touch over 140k miles priced at $5,500. I can get this car with no money down(I have good credit). But I trying to think if this would be smart, I want a second vehicle anyway, and preferred it to be a Llac, I was first considering a ATS, something small, cute and good on gas. But I just ran across this DTS, going to look at it tomorrow. And I already know exactly what to look for while viewing it. I might even go as far as getting permission from the dealer to block test it on site.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium w/1SD | 1999 Deville Base (RIP @179K Miles)
459 Posts
While the DTS is a good car, Expect with its age a lot of upcoming maintenance similar to what your Seville probably had. While the chance of HGs failing on this is much less than your Seville, It still is a small possibility.

·
Registered
1999 SLS w/F45
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I definitely could be wrong, but I just got a feeling the head bolts won't pull on my Seville, but it's got 180k miles on it, that's alot of miles, but I have seen/heard of lots of Northstar cars with way more miles than me. Most importantly, I owned this car the last 2 years and last 24k miles of its life, so I know how it's running, I know what needs to be done and I know I can also depend on it if I had to take it on a long cruise, with a new to me car purchase, I have to gain that trust in the newly purchased vehicle as I learned to do when I first bought the SLS. I might get the DTS no doubt, but I don't think I can ever trade my SLS for it, this car has seen me through ALOT in the last 2 years, it's a car I'd never forget... I'm going to look at the DTS tomorrow.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
722 Posts
I can’t see the picture... But I still think that’s bit overpriced for that car considering you could find 1 alot cheaper. Instead of financing, should consider buying your next car cash and save yourself about 2k that the dealers add in price. Go on OfferUp and browse around, you’ll find some good deals if you know how to spot them.

I was strongly considering buying this car a couple of months ago before deciding on the 02’ DTS I bought.

And this car I had been eyeing for the past couple of months. I had been communicating with the seller and saw it go from $3,900 to the crazy price of only $1,300 dollars. It sold yesterday. I was going to tell a friend of mine to buy it the same day it sold.

There’s some great deals out there, you just gotta know how to find them. I think that’s too much for a DTS with that kind of miles and it’s a base level car?

...And don’t even think about trading your car to the dealers. They won’t give you nothing for it + they’ll simply add those numbers into the total price and you’ll basically get nothing for trading your car in.

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
653 Posts
...And don’t even think about trading your car to the dealers. They won’t give you nothing for it + they’ll simply add those numbers into the total price and you’ll basically get nothing for trading your car in.
The only car I've ever traded in was one I would not have sold to someone else. And I needed a ride to the dealership!!

·
Registered
653 Posts
The only car I've ever traded in was one I would not have sold to someone else. And I needed a ride to the dealership!!
What was it, and how much did they give you?
May 2018, 2003 Jaguar X-type traded for my ATS. 135k, dead a/c compressor, abs and check engine lights, severely rusted too near to structural and suspension attaching points.

$500.

That car didn't owe me a dime - My ATS has been in the service department more in 9 months than my Jag was in 15 years.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
722 Posts
May 2018, 2003 Jaguar X-type traded for my ATS. 135k, dead a/c compressor, abs and check engine lights, severely rusted too near to structural and suspension attaching points.

$500.

That car didn't owe me a dime - My ATS has been in the service department more in 9 months than my Jag was in 15 years.
Wow. What has gone wrong with your ATS?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Wow. What has gone wrong with your ATS?
CUE screen replacement, console lid coming apart, temp control way off from setting (still), 8-speed shudder (still), "park" issues with shifter (still, but now intermittent), front cover oil leak, and 100 miles later a major engine failure. All told, my car has been in service almost 6 weeks in 9 months of ownership.

My Jaguar, which was "supposed" to be unreliable, spent 2 nights away from home in 15 years, both times were for next day parts orders.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
722 Posts
the DTS is newer with more features, can someone please shine some light? What do y'all think? Is there anyone here who has owned both? Rather STS or SLS. I'm thinking about financing this and keeping the SLS, but they're very similar cars.
I own a 97’ SLS and a 02’ DTS. They’re very different cars, I wouldn’t call them similar at all. Yes the DTS has more features, but the features in the SLS are easier to use. For example changing radio stations and adjusting the volume? I much prefer the steering wheel controls in the SLS over the DTS, they just feel better + they feel like they’ll never break. I don’t know what it is about the SLS but alot about that car feels bulletproof even though it’s far from perfect if that makes sense... The SLS feels easier to drive, but the DTS is far more comfortable. The visors in the DTS are ridiculously big almost to the point where they’re in the way.

I know they’re not the same years as the ones you posted about, but they’re close enough.

with a new to me car purchase, I have to gain that trust in the newly purchased vehicle as I learned to do when I first bought the SLS.
This is exactly where I’m currently at... I’ve owned the SLS for 5yrs. and know its quirks like the back of my hand. I’ve only had the DTS for like 4 months, so I’m bearly getting to know it. I really like it, but I still drive it sort of cautiously.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
722 Posts
CUE screen replacement, console lid coming apart, temp control way off from setting (still), 8-speed shudder (still), "park" issues with shifter (still, but now intermittent), front cover oil leak, and 100 miles later a major engine failure. All told, my car has been in service almost 6 weeks in 9 months of ownership.

My Jaguar, which was "supposed" to be unreliable, spent 2 nights away from home in 15 years, both times were for next day parts orders.
Man that’s eye epening... I hope your luck with the car is better from here on out.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,287 Posts
The DTS is bigger but not by much. I've never had any issues with the timing chain. Cadillac tweaked the northstar for 06-11 resolving the head gasket issue and I believe the timing chain guides as well. These are awesome cars. But as they age condition is everything. Check for any oil leaks as they can get quite expensive. Over all these are great cars.

·
Registered
1999 SLS w/F45
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The DTS is bigger but not by much. I've never had any issues with the timing chain. Cadillac tweaked the northstar for 06-11 resolving the head gasket issue and I believe the timing chain guides as well. These are awesome cars. But as they age condition is everything. Check for any oil leaks as they can get quite expensive. Over all these are great cars.
So I looked at the DTS this morning... Dealer admitted off bat that it does an oil leak all though I didn't see any leaks while it was running. It drove VERY good and smooth and the exhaust sounds simply amazing, the DTS seems to have a more pronounced growl to the mufflers, it was almost as loud as my SLS which has a modified exhaust. It's the luxury 3 package with console shift, turn signal mirrors. The mirrors also folded in/out with a button, first time I ever seen a car with such a feature. All in all, a very impressive car no doubt, everything works inside the car. But I think I'll wait on the purchase, thanks everyone for posting and the DTS is definitely still on the list of consideration. I think I'll take the above advice and save for a few months and buy one outright since these cars can be had for very good prices. A quick Craigslist search turned several clean ones that around 4k or cheaper! None the less, we all own Cadillacs with the infamous Northstar haha.

·
Registered
1999 SLS w/F45
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow I couldn't believe the ATS would have so many issues! Thanks for chiming in, you also helped me alot, because I was really considering an ATS towards the end of last year. They look SO good, especially dressed in all black with the sunroof cracked open!

·
Registered
No more Cadillacs
680 Posts
I sold my 06 DTS lux 3 with 130k miles and new timing chains and guides for $2500 last summer. It was excellent condition but still took months to sell. There are deals out there....... yes, the head gasket issue seems to be better, but the timing chain guides issue has gotten much worse. Not an accurate cross section, but besides mine I have seen more than a few references to the guides failing on here.

·
Registered
2007 DTS LuxII, 1969 El Camino SS396, 2008 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4,
88 Posts
I had an 02 SLS that I loved. It was a great car even though it had a few issues that I had fixed myself; power steering hoses, coil packs, and HVAC blower motor. Last April I found an 07 DTS lux 2 which had 125K for $5000, I call her my Black Radillac. It has every option with the exception of ACC. A few of the options don't work and I will continue to troubleshoot once spring gets here in MN. The heated/cooled seats do not work as well as the heated steering wheel and heated washer fluid do not work (recall on the washer fluid heating module).

I too agree that the throttle response was quicker and crisper in my SLS than the DTS. I also feel the SLS seating was more comfortable than the DTS. The SLS seemed to me to have a smoother ride too.

But I REALLY like the DTS. I've done a few things to my DTS in regards to torque strut, fog lights, window tinting, updated the GPS software to the last and most recent available. And probably my favorite thing is swapping out the standard rotors and pads to slotted/drilled rotors and high quality ceramic pads which made a very distinct difference in braking. I finished off the brake job with new Michelin Defenders all the way around. Another nice feature of this car is that the original owner purchased a lifetime XM subscription which carried over to me. I have it garaged for the winter months but can't wait for spring to get it back on the road for cruising around. So at this point it still only has 131K on it.

Good luck in finding yourself a DTS when the time comes.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Wow I couldn't believe the ATS would have so many issues! Thanks for chiming in, you also helped me alot, because I was really considering an ATS towards the end of last year. They look SO good, especially dressed in all black with the sunroof cracked open!

Don't go by my experience, plenty have had little trouble I'm sure.

I think it's me and dumb luck. The car I bought was my second choice - the first one got wrecked in the dealership's lot the day I was to take delivery! :bigroll:

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,287 Posts
I had an 02 SLS that I loved. It was a great car even though it had a few issues that I had fixed myself; power steering hoses, coil packs, and HVAC blower motor. Last April I found an 07 DTS lux 2 which had 125K for $5000, I call her my Black Radillac. It has every option with the exception of ACC. A few of the options don't work and I will continue to troubleshoot once spring gets here in MN. The heated/cooled seats do not work as well as the heated steering wheel and heated washer fluid do not work (recall on the washer fluid heating module).

I too agree that the throttle response was quicker and crisper in my SLS than the DTS. I also feel the SLS seating was more comfortable than the DTS. The SLS seemed to me to have a smoother ride too.

But I REALLY like the DTS. I've done a few things to my DTS in regards to torque strut, fog lights, window tinting, updated the GPS software to the last and most recent available. And probably my favorite thing is swapping out the standard rotors and pads to slotted/drilled rotors and high quality ceramic pads which made a very distinct difference in braking. I finished off the brake job with new Michelin Defenders all the way around. Another nice feature of this car is that the original owner purchased a lifetime XM subscription which carried over to me. I have it garaged for the winter months but can't wait for spring to get it back on the road for cruising around. So at this point it still only has 131K on it.

Good luck in finding yourself a DTS when the time comes.
The recall on the heated washer fluid was to remove the unit. There is an aftermarket plug n play unit I bought a few years ago that works great. Just plug it in fits in the same location too. I owned a 01 sts I bought salvage and rebuilt in 03 as a kid. I like the sts but for me the DTS is much better. I gave my mom the sts in 06 when I bought my DTS performance. She drove it up until 3 years ago unfortunately rust issues caused her to get another car. Still drove awesome though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts