Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve drooling over a 2009 DTS Platinum for sale over here, black on black with 56000 miles, looks clean inside out, they are asking for 13k in USD which is probably negotiable as the ad has been out for a while.
It has an interesting story as it was once ordered by the Russian embassy in the US, but for some reason never delivered and then exported to Sweden and finally put in traffic 2014, the history of course needs to be thoroughly checked with a car fax report or similar if to consider a buy.

In Sweden certified Caddy workshops are very rare, and the few that exists not always deliver the expertise you would hope for and can also be far away, which leaves you pretty much on your own.

Since five years I’m happy owner of a 99 Seville STS which I totally maintain on my own with the help from helpful forum members here, the DTS is however a 10 year newer car which involves newer technology, so it makes you think how high mountain you will be able to climb on your own…

Have also been looking for 3.6 CTS but we only have 2008’s on the market here unless they are coupés which I’m so fond of, there are some STS but often awd which feels like higher risk for issues, and I live too far south to have much use for it anyway

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,973 Posts
Kelly Blue Book price in the Washington, DC high-dollar, private sale, is between $5700 - $7700.

Trade-in is $3800 - $4800 - all depending on condition and point-of-sale offerings.

A "DTS" might be a good daily driver, but the asking price is a bit high. Maintenance in Sweden could present a problem, as could spare parts availability. (??? RockAuto ???)

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Sub,

I would say that that difference in price between EU and US is pretty normal, for ex you seldom find a Corvette C5 (which is a little more common than Cadillac’s) in good shape under 20k USD around here

Rockauto works very well, at least for ordinary maintenance parts and I have been shopping there for 12 years.

The DTS is super rare in Europe, you may find a limo sometimes but that’s it, the sportier cousins STS and CTS are a little more common.

As for maintenance I try to figure out what jam I may end up in without the support from Cadillac IF I should go down with some complex "modern car" issues

·
2008 DTS
112 Posts
Hi Sub,

I would say that that difference in price between EU and US is pretty normal, for ex you seldom find a Corvette C5 (which is a little more common than Cadillac’s) in good shape under 20k USD around here

Rockauto works very well, at least for ordinary maintenance parts and I have been shopping there for 12 years.

The DTS is super rare in Europe, you may find a limo sometimes but that’s it, the sportier cousins STS and CTS are a little more common.

As for maintenance I try to figure out what jam I may end up in without the support from Cadillac IF I should go down with some complex "modern car" issues
Well,if you decide to carry this further,put the car on the lift and lok for leaks from the oil pan and valve cover gaskets. They are not a cheap fix.Also,check the inner and outer tie rods on the wheels.Hook up a code reader and take a look at the internals in case there are and codes or readiness lights. Check the A.I.R pump too.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,041 Posts
That DTS is an awesome color combination and the Platinum interior stands out. If you feel comfortable doing the maintenance on it and can get parts only you can decide if you buy it. It's a great car.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys

Oil leakage and worn tie rods doesn’t sound that bad although changing oil pan and valve cover gaskets probably will involve a lot of work being expensive, is this possible to do for the normal home mechanic?
Regarding the air pump check (assume you mean the AC compressor), what is the best way to detect problems on this unit, listening for noise feeling any play in the pulley if reachable?

The DTS don’t have any built in OBD reader to pull the codes as the Seville, right?

·
Registered
09 cadillac cts4 09 yukon Denali
194 Posts
I’ve drooling over a 2009 DTS Platinum for sale over here, black on black with 56000 miles, looks clean inside out, they are asking for 13k in USD which is probably negotiable as the ad has been out for a while.
It has an interesting story as it was once ordered by the Russian embassy in the US, but for some reason never delivered and then exported to Sweden and finally put in traffic 2014, the history of course needs to be thoroughly checked with a car fax report or similar if to consider a buy.

In Sweden certified Caddy workshops are very rare, and the few that exists not always deliver the expertise you would hope for and can also be far away, which leaves you pretty much on your own.

Since five years I’m happy owner of a 99 Seville STS which I totally maintain on my own with the help from helpful forum members here, the DTS is however a 10 year newer car which involves newer technology, so it makes you think how high mountain you will be able to climb on your own…

Have also been looking for 3.6 CTS but we only have 2008’s on the market here unless they are coupés which I’m so fond of, there are some STS but often awd which feels like higher risk for issues, and I live too far south to have much use for it anyway
Hi Sub,

might want to think about ext
Thanks for the input guys

Oil leakage and worn tie rods doesn’t sound that bad although changing oil pan and valve cover gaskets probably will involve a lot of work being expensive, is this possible to do for the normal home mechanic?
Regarding the air pump check (assume you mean the AC compressor), what is the best way to detect problems on this unit, listening for noise feeling any play in the pulley if reachable?

The DTS don’t have any built in OBD reader to pull the codes as the Seville, right?
I think he meant rear air shock compressor,i cant help you there. Maybe it will throw a code with no check engine light on dash.
This motor is more prone to oil leaks. it is a 2 pice engine block more gaskets.
I've read drop cradle or remove motor to fix.
I've read it would cost almost as much to put rebuild motor in back.
I had one not leak a drop. The other one leaked not enough to drip on garage floor must have burned a quart and a half evey 3,000.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
75 Posts
My thoughts and suggestions are basically just common sense, consumer related. I am not a mechanic, but I do have an understanding of cars and engines, at least enough to keep me out of trouble.

I can't comment on prices in Europe, but that does seem like an awful lot for that car. Maybe the heritage you mentioned makes it a bit more desirable. If possible I would take the car on a 70 mile trip, let it get good and warm and then park it for the night. Check for leaks in the morning. Also, while on the test drive... check that all the luxury features actually work. You'd be surprised at how many people purchase a car and find out later that the rear passenger window does not work. Check to make sure it's not throwing out any error codes.

The other thing I tell ANYONE who is buying a used car is to be prepared to drop at least $1000.00 USD on it no matter how good the condition is. You never know when you'll miss a rotted brake line that's just about to go, a brake fluid flush, shocks that are about to fail, Body rot. Get it to a good mechanic and give it the once over. For that kind of money it would be a good investment to have it gone over... twice.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think he meant rear air shock compressor,i cant help you there. Maybe it will throw a code with no check engine light on dash.
Yep, that makes sense
This motor is more prone to oil leaks. it is a 2 pice engine block more gaskets.
I've read drop cradle or remove motor to fix.
I've read it would cost almost as much to put rebuild motor in back.
I had one not leak a drop. The other one leaked not enough to drip on garage floor must have burned a quart and a half evey 3,000.
2 piece engine block explains why this is problem on later NS
You can live with a smaller oil leakage, and it was my guess that it would take to drop the engine to get it fixed as it was an expensive repair

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My thoughts and suggestions are basically just common sense, consumer related. I am not a mechanic, but I do have an understanding of cars and engines, at least enough to keep me out of trouble.

I can't comment on prices in Europe, but that does seem like an awful lot for that car. Maybe the heritage you mentioned makes it a bit more desirable. If possible I would take the car on a 70 mile trip, let it get good and warm and then park it for the night. Check for leaks in the morning. Also, while on the test drive... check that all the luxury features actually work. You'd be surprised at how many people purchase a car and find out later that the rear passenger window does not work. Check to make sure it's not throwing out any error codes.

The other thing I tell ANYONE who is buying a used car is to be prepared to drop at least $1000.00 USD on it no matter how good the condition is. You never know when you'll miss a rotted brake line that's just about to go, a brake fluid flush, shocks that are about to fail, Body rot. Get it to a good mechanic and give it the once over. For that kind of money it would be a good investment to have it gone over... twice.
Thanks for the advice, long test drive is always a good idea and testing all the luxury features is of course smart too. Best is if you can have the car over a weekend or at least a day as it takes time to do a full check. In this case its a private seller far away, so it can be tricky getting access to it so long.
Assuming the car has a splash shield under the engine, that would need to come off to be able to detect any oil leakage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts