Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  siggyfreud 
#1 ·
I am considering selling my current car (information concerning car deemed inappropriate for forum) and getting into a CTS-V.

I've read about the 04/05 being more prone to rear end failure, but hadn't heard much concerning the 06/07. Are these still prone, and does anyone have any documentation concerning cases of the latter years failure? If so, what seems to be the most popular fix/solution?

How well do these engines hold up to forced induction, and at what level would you recommend using a forged bottom end? What appears to be the weak point? Rods/piston skirts?

Thank you for your time and attention on these basic questions. If any part of this thread seems to be braggish or advertising, I do apologize. I did not post any pictures of my current car, nor speak of its performance characteristics in hopes the mods would not lock this thread.

#2 ·
There is a ton of great information on FI on stock bottom ends on LS1Tech, and as these V's run either LS6 or LS2 motor's they have a lot of room to grow in the power department. LS motors can easily hit 800-900 at the wheels with FI and pump gas.

The problem with our cars is the weak point is the diff, as you have noted in your thread. Other weak points are the stock motor mounts, stock clutch assembly (clunk), trans mount, diff mount, and a nasty case of axle hop.

Solutions (or partial solutions) for these problems do exist, and I'll do a general summary. If you search the forum's you will find a ton of more detailed information, posted by people who have forged the way where I followed.

1.) Axle hop: GForce axles. Will run you about $599 for a set. Great vendor, and great product. These axles are 300m, with offsetting "twist" rates to reduce wheel hop by 90% or more. He has race axles coming out. Hendrix/DSS also have economy and race axles. I dealt with Gforce, so I'll put a good word in for Chris, as I have great results.

2.) Clutch: GM put a gigantic boat anchor in our cars, to create a clunk at low speed driving. Solutions are: LS7 kit from Luke@Lindsay, Monster Clutch Kits, and MAPerformances Twin Disk. All have received good reviews. No major problems seem to plague any of these set ups.

3.) Motor Mounts: UUC or Creative Steel. UUC is much harder stuff, and transmit a lot more vibes into the cabin. Creative steel can go just as hard (black), to soft more stock like. Both are great products. Both companies offer trans mounts, and diff bushings. You should replace all at the same time.

4.) Diff: There is a Gen 4 Diff that has been put out from GM. I don't think anyone has blown a Gen 4 yet, especially with the axle fix in their car. I might be wrong on this, but it seems to be a good solution.

As for power. As I said above, these are LS engines. If you have the money you can do about anything with this car power wise. MP112 is the standard blower, and can be purchased as a kit for our cars. TVS1900 and 2300's for LS2's can be modded for our cars. There are a few pro-charged V's around as well. Some have done 402's with twin turbo's, and blowers. So there is some real sick power out there right now. Take a look at you will see, that it is easy to make a monster out of these cars.

#5 ·
Would you qualify both LS motors as being equally capable of handling power adders?
Yes, equally capable, though you may get a slightly better result from the extra displacement of the LS2.

#4 ·
What did you drive before?

#6 ·
siggy,

I posted in your thread over on *************** as well. Give this forum a chance, we aren't so bad. And this forum is a lot more active for CTS-Vs than any other forum on the web.

I hope you get your car sold and get into a V, you will never look back. There is something special about these cars that is more than what their specs are on paper, and more than the sum of their parts.

From the world-class chassis, to the awesome suspension developed on the Nurburgring (before everybody else was doing it), to the torque-monster motors, to the huge and awesome stock brakes...they are a lot of car for the money.

As for required (MUST DO) mods, I concur with the posts above. For basically $1800 total ($300 for short-throw shifter, $500 for aftermarket axles (I love my GForce1320 axles - they are just awesome), and $1000 for a nice lightweight clutch/pressure plate/flywheel combo) you can have a very fun and responsive high horsepower sedan that will embarass most other sedans on the road (within $30000 of the price). And you have a huge trunk, four doors, and most of the creature comforts you would ever need in a performance sedan.

#9 ·
:yeah:

Siggy you can't post items for sale in the forums because it's against the rules. Whether you were actually selling vs implying you were selling: if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, talks like a duck.....

The Mustang is a really good looking car. Feel free to post it in the classified section of this forum (free of any charge).

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/

#10 ·
I apologize. I was told that if I hadn't posted a picture and bragged about my car and had been a supporting member it might have been overlooked.

Yes, I am trying to sell the car, but my intentions weren't to see it here, hence why I posted nothing concerning what the car actually had in terms of parts, the price, etc.

I'll be more careful of the content in the future. My wording in previous posts was to poke fun at the mod who criticized me for bragging. :hide:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.