Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac Catera, 2001 Seville STS
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First off let me say I'm glad to be back on here after a few years and this was the right place to go for the help I need. I'm looking at buying an STS with cash so I can help myself out of some debt right now. And I know I want to get back into an Cadillac, but I'm not sure which model STS to buy. If many remember my user name you would remember I used to own the early STS before the redesign, Which I loved dearly but had to give it up which I trade in for A Volkswagen Passat Luxury. Now I had the chance of driving the STS with the V6 engine down to Key Largo FL with friends. And it did not live up to what I thought, for a big and heavy car I felt it should have been kept as a front wheel drive and kept the V8. But it's many of you who do love the V6 which does have power. I'm just looking for help on which model would be best for a heavy footer as myself and also which model want have me fall into a money pit.

Thanks Charles

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,478 Posts
Skip the V6 and get yourself the V8 - You won't regret it - More power/torque and no timing chain or oil consumption issues. If you like options get a 1SF or 1SG, 1SG being the fully optioned choice.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI - EU version
243 Posts
Late model STS questions

Skip the V6 and get yourself the V8 - You won't regret it - More power/torque and no timing chain or oil consumption issues. If you like options get a 1SF or 1SG, 1SG being the fully optioned choice.
Doesn't the V8 model with MRC get even more expensive due to the suspension's short life span? Not to mention ~15% increase in fuel consumption (by the numbers I saw anyway). I'm still deciding whether to bankrupt myself and buy one, too :p

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,478 Posts
I have 145k on my V8 and the MRC is doing just fine - as far as MPG - V8 gets 15/24, V6 gets 16/25 (according to fueleconomy.gov) - negligible difference IMO. If you're worried about fuel economy a Cadillac, any model, is not the car for you.

I just don't like that 3.6L engine, nothing but horror stories across all models that utilize it - The redesigned RWD/AWD Northstar is quite refined.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well, it's just that people here also mention horror stories about the suspension *shrug* . Is that 145k miles?

By the way, modern Cadillacs have pretty good fuel economy (obviously SUVs/CUVs aside). You can even opt in for the 2.0L engine with turbo, that has like 8.3 L/100km (28 US MPG

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,478 Posts
Well, it's just that people here also mention horror stories about the suspension *shrug* . Is that 145k miles?

By the way, modern Cadillacs have pretty good fuel economy (obviously SUVs/CUVs aside). You can even opt in for the 2.0L engine with turbo, that has like 8.3 L/100km (28 US MPG
Yes, 145k miles - I've averaged 25-26 on long highway trips in mine - I'll take that in a V8 powered boat of car with 320HP. :) I'll also take an aging suspension over a snapped timing chain/bent valve(s) any day of the week...

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
To be a successful STS owner you should buy a V8, have a good string of professional tools including a code reader with TECH2 capabilities, A full set of tech manuals, and years of mechanic experience, or a boatload of money to give to an unscrupulous dealer. To ignore this advice is to invite years of coming on this forum and endure being told a hundred times, "I told you so".

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,478 Posts
To be a successful STS owner you should buy a V8, have a good string of professional tools including a code reader with TECH2 capabilities, A full set of tech manuals, and years of mechanic experience, or a boatload of money to give to an unscrupulous dealer. To ignore this advice is to invite years of coming on this forum and endure being told a hundred times, "I told you so".
Hey now, I've managed 3 years and 74k miles of ownership without many of those things and she's still in very serviceable shape considering age and mileage. :) Right now the only nagging issues, I say nagging as they're more of an annoyance than anything is my driver side, front door handle (sounds like micro switches to me, works fine when she gets washed or it rains) and the diff bushing (got a little clunk from D to R and vice versa). Other than that she's been fairly trouble free aside from normal wear and tear items. :thumbsup: I will say the starter and water pump were replaced under extended warranty in the first year of ownership and I did have one motor mount replaced, but that's it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes, 145k miles - I've averaged 25-26 on long highway trips in mine - I'll take that in a V8 powered boat of car with 320HP. :) I'll also take an aging suspension over a snapped timing chain/bent valve(s) any day of the week...
Oh, I'm much more interested in the torque increase. Well, if the MRC can hold for 145k miles, that's not too shabby. I wonder what do the average numbers look like.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking of going for the V8, due to the many reason of my 01 STS which was a dream to drive. What's a good millage to buy one at? Because most of the ones I have seen so far are up in the hundreds.Also what year would be a good one?

----------

That's the same thing i'm looking at is not to throw myself into a money pit. Because I have to think of school. But mainly I would have to pay for the labor, parts come free because of the company my dad works for.

·
Registered
2007 CTS Sport 3.6
256 Posts
Well aside from the oil consumption my LY7 STS is pretty damn good, my only complaint about the car is the suspension noise and it not being a V8 lol. All in all, there's nothing wrong with the V6 caddys besides the lack of 2 cylinders and power.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
215 Posts
You can get a V8 without MRC if that matters to you, but it will be more of a base model car. Mine doesn't have it, and the base model has plenty of options for me. I wouldn't recommend an STS to someone that can't do mechanic work themselves. Mine would have cost me dearly by now if I had to take it to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
You can get a V8 without MRC if that matters to you, but it will be more of a base model car. Mine doesn't have it, and the base model has plenty of options for me. I wouldn't recommend an STS to someone that can't do mechanic work themselves. Mine would have cost me dearly by now if I had to take it to the dealer.
Ditto!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't care if the car had MRC all I care for is the power the engine can produce. With me being a heavy footer I have to have the power. I mean with the V6 I just feel I could damage something. would any of you know what a good Mileage would be for a used STS?

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
I think the key is to first decide what you want in your STS. While there are many good points of view and approaches to successful ownership, the key is always going to be the right car for you.

While it may be possible to add or change a feature or option on an STS, it's rarely easy or inexpensive. If you need a car now, buy some transportation that holds it value well to 'tide you over' while you conduct your search. But take your time. My wife's RWD is a cushy fleet cruiser compared to my taut AWD tourer. These cars vary a lot by trim level and option package.

I really like the Adaptive Cruise & Head Up Display. I rarely even listen to the turn-by-turn Nav instructions because the integration with HUD is so good. My wife prefers regular cruise. That's an either-or option.

MRC hasn't cost me anything extra & when it does, it won't cost more than ball joints on an Audi. :)

My wife's car turns 2k RPM doing 80 MPH & can get 25 MPG doing that on the interstate. At 2k RPM, my car is going 62 MPH! But when I lift my foot, the car slows like a 'stick' car; when I 'stomp', she grabs one gear & flies!

Decide what you like. Test drive several. Have fun. Have some that suit you inspected & make a fair offer. Before too long you'll be in your STS!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
243 Posts
My wife's car turns 2k RPM doing 80 MPH & can get 25 MPG doing that on the interstate. At 2k RPM, my car is going 62 MPH!
Wait, what? Both V8 ones? Which is which? :eek: The cars your profile lists? Which is which and how do I tell them apart? VIN, the service part ID plate, or something?

I've never heard this before and I've been looking at STSes for a year or so Q_Q

So thanks for telling me (or the OP, but meh)

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
Wait, what? Both V8 ones? Which is which? :eek: The cars your profile lists? Which is which and how do I tell them apart? VIN, the service part ID plate, or something?

I've never heard this before and I've been looking at STSes for a year or so Q_Q

So thanks for telling me (or the OP, but meh)
The 2006 V8 has a 5spd. The 2007 V8 has a 6spd.
I believe in his case the wife has the 07 and it was also a rental car and is RWD only.

The rental cars got a 2.71 rear end for better mileage. Add a 6 speed trans as well and it goes up more. The typical V8 rear end is 3.23 for better performance at the cost of mileage.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,478 Posts
Different gear ratios and different suspensions - 2.73/3.23/3.42 were all offered depending on the car, also MRC or standard suspension. The "dumbed" down 2.73 cars are almost always fleet or rentals and have less options such as adaptive cruise control and the heads up display.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Different gear ratios and different suspensions - 2.73/3.23/3.42 were all offered depending on the car, also MRC or standard suspension. The "dumbed" down 2.73 cars are almost always fleet or rentals and have less options such as adaptive cruise control and the heads up display.
How would I be able to tell the difference in the suspension system? on both the V8 and the V6? because I would like one that can handel it's self at high speeds.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts