Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Thinking of buying an '04 CTS-V with a Maggie today!!!

4K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  acr-c 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I found an '04 V with a Maggie, Corsa exhaust and KW Variant 3 coilover suspension at a dealer for sale and I'm about 99.99% there in terms of pulling the trigger. :thumbsup:

The car has right at 70k miles and my only question is how sensitive are the Maggies to a really good tune? My old man is real close to the dealer geographically and went by today to drive it. He said it felt good, but not really fast. I've got a fairly modded C6 Z06 currently and have had a Viper ACR, a Procharged '03 Z06, a full bolt-on '01 Z06, etc. My pop has had modded Z-28s, my '01 Z06 when I sold it and has driven my other rides. Neither of us is new to high horsepower/high performance cars.

That being said, why in the world would that car feel slow that I'm buying? I would think that if it was really hurt, it would run horribly, right?

#2 ·
The only explanation I'd have is that you're too used to going fast. In terms of 1/4 mile times, the car should run (roughly) mid 12s, maybe dipping into the lower 12s. The cars you're talking about sound like they're at least that.

BTW, buy it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bouncy:

#3 ·
I'm almost positive I'm buying it within the next hour or so...but I was more thinking that it would have "felt" really fast to my old man when he got on it. He said it definitely tossed you back in the seat, but it was nothing like the '01 Z06 which was a low 12 second car at around 117 or 118 in the 1/4. I was thinking the V with the Maggie should be around 425 to 450 hp at the tire, with 1/4 mile times in the 12.50 range at around 114 to 116, right? That should "feel" pretty dang quick/fast. I was wondering if the tune might be a mess or something? The dealer does not have any kind of handheld tuner that would have come with the Maggie, if that's important at all.

#5 ·
You know, it might have the stock Magunson tune, which I've heard is quite conservative. I might also have a 3.0" pulley, so the boost might not be very high (< 5 psi). The lack of headers further limits the hp. A decent tune with a 2.8" pulley and headers should put you right where I am.

How much is it worth? You could use the 70k mileage to keep the price down, but at the most I'd say low 20s, maybe even a shade under $20k being an '04 with those miles. I'm not the best to be giving advice on that, mind you. Does it include the LS6 manifold so you could return it to stock (why anybody would want to is beyond me, however ;)).

#6 ·
I don't think they have the stock LS6 manifold, but I can always pick one up pretty cheap later if I wanted.

I imagine you're right and that it's the stock tune. I suppose an immediate trip to my tuner for a proper dyno tune is in order as well as maybe a cold air induction setup of some sort.

I was sort of thinking the same way you were on the price....

:thumbsup:
Christian

#8 ·
I'm located in Northern California. I will definitely need to have some of the local owners chime in.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...I BOUGHT IT!!!!!! I'm so stoked!!!! :dance::dance::woohoo::woohoo::banana::banana:

I have an '05 Escalade ESV Platinum and have been a member on the board for a while now but plan on being much more active now!!! I can't wait!!!!

Christian
(newest Maggie'd CTS-V owner...for right now at least!)

#11 ·
Pulley size should be stamped right on it ... pretty easy to see, from what I recall. Heck, some guys even had bigger ones, but that was a while back and not the norm. BTW, I wouldn't go smaller than 2.8 unless you spend a couple of Gs for an eight-rib belt setup to preven slippage.

Hey, are you and I the two guys still awake or just the only two guys with no date tonight?

#15 ·
Pulley size should be stamped right on it ... pretty easy to see, from what I recall. Heck, some guys even had bigger ones, but that was a while back and not the norm. BTW, I wouldn't go smaller than 2.8 unless you spend a couple of Gs for an eight-rib belt setup to preven slippage.

Hey, are you and I the two guys still awake or just the only two guys with no date tonight?
If you have a 3" pulley, you might as well go with a 2.75. No grinding, and no slip.

Randy, 10:20 is not late :nono:

#12 ·
LOL. I don't know about you but I've got a wife and two small kids so that's my excuse!!! HAHA. I'll check it out tomorrow when it arrives and see what size the pulley is. Monday I should be able to get her down to my builder/tuner to get on top of the situation too. My C6Z06 is currently at his shop for a slightly more aggressive cam so he's been seeing a lot of me lately!

Christian

#21 ·
My old man is real close to the dealer geographically and went by today to drive it. He said it felt good, but not really fast. I've got a fairly modded C6 Z06 currently and have had a Viper ACR, a Procharged '03 Z06, a full bolt-on '01 Z06, etc. My pop has had modded Z-28s, my '01 Z06 when I sold it and has driven my other rides. Neither of us is new to high horsepower/high performance cars.

That being said, why in the world would that car feel slow that I'm buying? I would think that if it was really hurt, it would run horribly, right?
All those cars you listed are faster than a V with just a standard maggie, especially if it only has a 3.0 pulley.

When you get your hands on it figure out what pulley it has, then we can go from there...

And by the way, congrats!

:wavehi: :welcome: :wavehi: :welcome:
:welcome: :wavehi: :welcome: :wavehi:
:wavehi: :welcome: :wavehi: :welcome:

#22 ·
Thanks man for the welcome!! Okay, so the V is here and I love this car. It looks like the pulley is a 2.8. There is a little stamped "2.80" on the face of the little pulley to the left of the Maggie as you are looking at it in front of the car. Tires were literally just replaced with Goodyear F1 non-runflats too which I am pretty happy about although I was actually thinking of going with a nice set of 19" rims/tires. Let the modding and fun begin!!! :cool2:

Christian

#24 ·
If you dont mind what was the price? This is very close to my cars current status so Im wondering.

#29 ·
Welcome and congrates!!!!..I would highly recomend swaping the 78 mm tb and going with a 90mm,lowers the iat's and adds about 20 plus rwhp.We keep the 90 mm snouts in stock when your ready.Also with that power be aware when that nasty wheel hop rears it head LET OFF!..The rears break with the abuse of hoping.When your ready we will get you some axles that will let you use all that power!!

#30 ·
Thanks for the heads up!! Yeah, I've heard about the problems with wheel hop that the CTS-V line had, especially the earlier ones. I wonder if mine will be better due to the KW suspension?

How much are the 90mm TB? I checked your website but didn't see anything for Cadillacs. What are the external differences between the 75mm and 90mm? I guess it's possible I have one on there already and don't know.

Do you guys recommend long tubes as well for lowering engine temps? I know on my Procharged Z06 we added long tubes and gained power, reduced boost pressure and lowered operating temps big time...

I wonder if mine has a stock thermostat too...it runs around 190 to 192 in 85 degree outside temps. I did a few quick blasts yesterday on the highway 60 - 120, 80 - 130, and it got up to around 200 degrees, then came back down once I pulled it back into 6th and just loafed along at 65 mph.

Christian

#31 ·
sounds like stock thermostat to me. The external TB size is the same from the 90 to 78. I have the 90 sitting in my room, just waiting for a day to install it now. I also have a little smaller pulley but will require some machining to install without any rub. Kooks 1 7/8 longtubes here. I need to take the driver side off and bend two of the primaries away from the steering shaft. May I also recommend 2003RC51's motor mounts. They are awesome and you will never have a problem with them. He is a vendor on this site.

#34 ·
p.s....1st welcome....and 2nd with the cars you've had I can predict the first couple mods for you

shifter....(a must)
fluid change (a must amsoil)
and some new axles to cure your heavy right foot breaking the diff with wheelhop

#33 ·
I've seen cases of both rubbing and both not rubbing. I think its just a case of who was building on the jig that day. Most have not had any problem.

#35 ·
I've got a 2.6 pulley sitting on my desk with postage already on it waiting for a buyer.... $75 shipped....

Oh, and go with 1 7/8 lt's. I've got an '04 with a maggie, 2.8 pulley, CIA, gutted exhaust, and I gained 32whp with my headers. I'm at 452 to the wheel (on a conservative mustang dyno). My stock numbers were 291 on that dyno.

Oh, and if you got that car for $20k, that's a steal. Mine had 30k miles on it when I bought it in December, and was stock, and I paid right close to $20k. With a warranty, tint, maggie, ls7 clutch/flywheel, rpm level iv transmission, cia, pulley, tune, headers, Nitto NT-05's, and exhaust work, I've got $28k in the car as it sits.

#37 ·
Thanks for the offer on the pulley. I think someone posted up that the 2.80 was the safest one to go for? How much boost am I going to see with the 2.80 vs. the 2.60, if you know?

I was thinking that I'd like to get the baseline tune redone with my tuner first. Hopefully get everthing dialed in nicely, then drive it for a month or two and get to know the car. Then, I'd like to go with Kooks 1 7/8" headers, a good cai, 90mm TB, make sure the car has a 160 degree thermostat, and then retune and call it good. That should put me right around where you're at, somewhere in the 440 rwhp to 460 rwhp range.

She's my daily driver, so I don't want to get into going with a blower cam, head work, forging the bottom end and running more boost, etc. I could also see maybe running a meth injection kit just for some added safety on really hot days, but I'm not sure if that's necessary.

Christian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.