Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

My need for a new car is right around the corner and I grew up in Grandpa's Cadillacs'. To me it is the definition of "the good life" without looking like an a-hole or someone who cars more about their car than helping another person...

Back in the day I used to be that guy: the wall-street type: banker with an audi (a very nice, very expensive one... the kind that made you turn and girls date me for a ride...)
I also felt stupid... Extravagant and too flashy. Sure it was fun, but I'm older and need reliability - but still enjoy luxury and feeling classy...

I've made a lot of changes since then and am now a teacher working in a high-needs community - and I actually enjoy my life - helping others. Bought a super crappy, but reliable, Hyundai a few years back to get me to school and back each day. I have been working hard changing lives and feel I deserve a little pat on the back, and can afford a little more than a beater... Time to get a new car is right around the corner (says my lovely wife... and I whole-heartedly agree) and thus, I have my eyes set on something nicer. I spend a lot of time commuting in the northeast and need AWD. My pay is decent (finally) and I feel like I deserve this upgrade.

After much research, I came to gather (and love) that the 2013 cadillac cts coupe awd rates as a very reliable, comfortable car - as well as a super awesome-looking ride. Frankly, I like the design of it more than some of the newer models. I don't mind if it's hard to get out of or anything cosmetic - I'm sold on that... But I really need to know if it's reliable.

I have read good reviews of the 2013 (and 2011...) compared to other years' counter-parts. My price range will get me one with 30-65K mileage. Thus, here I am before I pull the trigger... (because you never know these days...)

Am I making the right choice or is this something that is going to drag me under-water in the shop???

I put about 10-12K miles on my cars a year and need something reliable. (I have spent 2 days in the shop and about $800 on my 2005 hyundai santa fe, which I bought for 3.5K 2-2.5 years ago with 80K miles on it (I am nearing the 100k mark at the moment...) - Sure I can get a much newer hyundai or mazda but I would feel amiss if I didn't get this.

Research says I can make this car last 5 years and get it up to 100k or more if I treat it right. A bunch of "experts" claim 2013 (and 2011) were great years for this car - other's not so much... So I am putting this out there and letting ya'll have the last say... Is the 2013 (or 2011) cts coupe a good buy or am I looking for trouble...?

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
2,030 Posts
It all depends on who you buy it from. If you buy it from someone who love their car and kept up with the maintenance while keeping it garage kept...there's a great chance that you found a reliable car. But! If you buy it off someone that beat the snizzy out of it and barely kept up the maintenance on it...well, you just brought problems. And this is true for any car you decide to buy. Try to get Carfax reports, maintenance records etc. do your homework. Good luck. If you afford it, buy a extended warranty for the first year, that'll give the peace of mind until you get the feel of condition your car. I brought mine new and the first year i a couple of issues, but they were covered under the warranty. And i had one recall with the TCM (if my memory serves me correctly). Other that...have fun!!! I LOVE :love: my CTS Coupe!!!

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,513 Posts
As stated, do your homework on the car you are interested in. Get the repair/maintenance history from a dealer. They can find that by the VIN. Have the car evaluated by an independent mechanic. I like mine. The AWD is fantastic in the snow, but you sacrifice some fun factor in the summer not being RWD. It is easier to get in and out compared to the sedan and wagon. But parking spaces all look tiny due to the car having doors the size they used to make in the 70's. Rear seat? What's that? Don't ask adults to get in the rear seats, as they will not be future friends, but little kids will love climbing back there. So far, costs have been reasonable. BUT, I have yet to buy tires. Look into the cost of tires. Why Cadillac decided to get in bed with Michelin and used such an odd size, middle of the road tire for the rear...well, somebody made out on that deal and it wasn't the consumer. This matters for AWD cars. The design is a love it or hate it. Yes, the coupe is a looker and I agree that it looks better than many newer cars designed today.

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
4,500 Posts
The 2013 should have the LFX engine, the 2011, the LLT. Check the axle ratio. I have the 3.73 which can make a first gear takeoff "interesting" but the best steady state MPG I've seen on the Interstate is 23.6. I expect an AWD would be worse.

OTOH it is the only domestic "personal coupe" a more mature American will fit comfortably.

Is the 2013 "Android Auto" capable ? The stock Bluetooth in my '11 is phone only.

ps valets usually park it in front.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
2,030 Posts
smh...another compliment from a co-worker...i get tired of hearing them! :ROFLMAO: One problem I have is the cops notices me too!, lol. Instead of dating a "looker", you'll be driving one. All eyes on me.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Premium Coupe
7 Posts
I bought my 2011 premium coupe from a private seller about six months ago. I was nervous myself buying an 8 year old car with all the options and AWD its alot of stuff to go wrong. Having a mechanic go look at it and also it having a transferable extended warranty put my mind at ease. I did have to put a wheel bearing in it and now another one is making noise. Those things aside I love the car and have a blast driving it. I just turned 51 and feel like alittle kid again blasting music zipping around.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,845 Posts
What ever you choose, try to end up with a decent warranty. Have the under carriage checked to make sure it's not a rust bucket (worth buying from a salt free state for). Function test EVERYTHING before you sign, EVERYTHING. There are some very expensive, inexpensive appearing amenities on board. Do the AWD only if you feel you can't do without it, not suggesting it's risky, as with most AWD vehicles it's potentially more maintenance on this vehicle especially.

Take your time, you do not lose anything by letting one, two, or three get away by not rushing, as long as you get what you want in the end. Coming from a Hyundai, you'll love this car. This Cadillac does not ride like "Grandpa's", so do test drive first and look for the codes FE1, FE2 and FE3 on the RPO label in the trunk on the bottom of the spare compartment cover. Those codes relate to suspension performance level. Memories of Grandpa point to FE1 for ride softness if you can call it that. They're all sport cars now.

·
Registered
2012 cts4
25 Posts
I picked up my 2012 from a dealership two months ago and so far it has been worth every cent I paid for it. The only issue I have had is the passanger door not wanting to open from the outside, thats a thing that you will read about. Also the sunroof drains need to be cleaned, something else you will read about. They are solid vehicles, performance is par for the course, mine has the performance package, 19"s with the FE5 and the ride is nice, gas mileage on the highway with my 3.6 awd is 23ish, put your foot in it and it will drop into the teens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It all depends on who you buy it from. If you buy it from someone who love their car and kept up with the maintenance while keeping it garage kept...there's a great chance that you found a reliable car. But! If you buy it off someone that beat the snizzy out of it and barely kept up the maintenance on it...well, you just brought problems. And this is true for any car you decide to buy. Try to get Carfax reports, maintenance records etc. do your homework. Good luck. If you afford it, buy a extended warranty for the first year, that'll give the peace of mind until you get the feel of condition your car. I brought mine new and the first year i a couple of issues, but they were covered under the warranty. And i had one recall with the TCM (if my memory serves me correctly). Other that...have fun!!! I LOVE :love: my CTS Coupe!!!
Thank you !! Super helpful!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As stated, do your homework on the car you are interested in. Get the repair/maintenance history from a dealer. They can find that by the VIN. Have the car evaluated by an independent mechanic. I like mine. The AWD is fantastic in the snow, but you sacrifice some fun factor in the summer not being RWD. It is easier to get in and out compared to the sedan and wagon. But parking spaces all look tiny due to the car having doors the size they used to make in the 70's. Rear seat? What's that? Don't ask adults to get in the rear seats, as they will not be future friends, but little kids will love climbing back there. So far, costs have been reasonable. BUT, I have yet to buy tires. Look into the cost of tires. Why Cadillac decided to get in bed with Michelin and used such an odd size, middle of the road tire for the rear...well, somebody made out on that deal and it wasn't the consumer. This matters for AWD cars. The design is a love it or hate it. Yes, the coupe is a looker and I agree that it looks better than many newer cars designed today.
Really appreciate the advice and time spent responding. I used to drive an audi TT coupe so I fit in the parking spaces and the rear "bench" was a joke - I enjoyed the excuse of not having enough room to be the designated driver when I was younger. Annoying to hear about the tires... I need to go AWD - where I live it's fairly necessary if the other choice is RWD - which is just asking for trouble. Will follow the advice - don't mind if it's less sporty - my aggressive driving days are over - but I was thinking of getting another set of tires for the seasons. Whatever it winds up coming with will probably have better traction than my '05 santa fe. I think I will be alright if they are in good shape.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 2013 should have the LFX engine, the 2011, the LLT. Check the axle ratio. I have the 3.73 which can make a first gear takeoff "interesting" but the best steady state MPG I've seen on the Interstate is 23.6. I expect an AWD would be worse.

OTOH it is the only domestic "personal coupe" a more mature American will fit comfortably.

Is the 2013 "Android Auto" capable ? The stock Bluetooth in my '11 is phone only.

ps valets usually park it in front.
Yeah - not too worried about MPG compared to what I get now almost anything will be better. Very much leaning towards the 2013. I'm buying it for all that has been stated but low on my list is speed/power. I used to drive my last coupe like a mad-man and looking back I shake my head at myself for being so reckless. I happily enjoy falling into the "mature American comfort coupe" category you eloquently denoted. Was avoiding 2012 - but only based on "expert opinions" stating the '13 and '11 were the way to go.

I am guessing 2013 won't have andriod auto - nothing I've read suggests it and when looking for mod packages to the electronics that's the first thing that pops up (and something I absolutely plan to do) - google is only recently getting their act together with their car software. So long as I have bluetooth and all the other things it comes with I'm fine. unlike Hasselhoff I don't need my coupe to talk to me. just make me look cool and get me from A to B with style and ease.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought my 2011 premium coupe from a private seller about six months ago. I was nervous myself buying an 8 year old car with all the options and AWD its alot of stuff to go wrong. Having a mechanic go look at it and also it having a transferable extended warranty put my mind at ease. I did have to put a wheel bearing in it and now another one is making noise. Those things aside I love the car and have a blast driving it. I just turned 51 and feel like alittle kid again blasting music zipping around.
yeah I am going dealership 99% positive - seems based on comments extended warranty and detailed inspection is a must...

Will do! thank you for the help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What ever you choose, try to end up with a decent warranty. Have the under carriage checked to make sure it's not a rust bucket (worth buying from a salt free state for). Function test EVERYTHING before you sign, EVERYTHING. There are some very expensive, inexpensive appearing amenities on board. Do the AWD only if you feel you can't do without it, not suggesting it's risky, as with most AWD vehicles it's potentially more maintenance on this vehicle especially.

Take your time, you do not lose anything by letting one, two, or three get away by not rushing, as long as you get what you want in the end. Coming from a Hyundai, you'll love this car. This Cadillac does not ride like "Grandpa's", so do test drive first and look for the codes FE1, FE2 and FE3 on the RPO label in the trunk on the bottom of the spare compartment cover. Those codes relate to suspension performance level. Memories of Grandpa point to FE1 for ride softness if you can call it that. They're all sport cars now.
and yea grandpa probably had it customized to be even softer... felt like he was driving a boat in the water... i need a little bit of both.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Consider an ELR as well... electric will change your life. We have a Volt in addition to my CTS.
I'm sure it will... I would LOVE to go electric. Frankly this is a stepping stone to a full electric in about 5 years. my dream weekend car is a custom coupe Vanderhall (if ya'll don't know what they are look it up...) that is sports in style. This is going to be a commuter / road trip vehicle. we plan on leasing a 2018 or 2019 new japanese suv for my wife and the daily routine (probably the mazda c3..) also - we have a condo so the "plug-in" situation is a bit unreliable (aka non-existent...)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I picked up my 2012 from a dealership two months ago and so far it has been worth every cent I paid for it. The only issue I have had is the passanger door not wanting to open from the outside, thats a thing that you will read about. Also the sunroof drains need to be cleaned, something else you will read about. They are solid vehicles, performance is par for the course, mine has the performance package, 19"s with the FE5 and the ride is nice, gas mileage on the highway with my 3.6 awd is 23ish, put your foot in it and it will drop into the teens.
Yeah my research said '12 was an off year and to avoid it... leaning towards a '13 80% '11 - 20% but only will take an 11 if it checks all the boxes - inspects really well and has lower mileage than any of my other options. Not going to pull the trigger on the first one I see unless it makes sense... (which usually does happen to me since I do a ton of research before buying basically anything... :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

one thing I wanted to say was I totally was on board with the "salt free state" buy - see my brother in florida - two birds one stone - road trip it back north east... Oddly...? There are WAY too few in comparison to the tri-state area. And they are higher mileage and more expensive. Figured cadillac would make a decent enough car that some snow wouldn't do it too much harm if it was well maintained.
Will consider both options but am open to suggestions about buying in a salt free zone (which is sort of a hassle logistically... I go test drive it then ship it back or drive it? Hadn't really thought about how to go about doing that... How do you find a mechanic you trust 3000 miles from home? (excuse my naivete in this matter)

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,845 Posts
Yeah my research said '12 was an off year and to avoid it... leaning towards a '13 80% '11 - 20% but only will take an 11 if it checks all the boxes - inspects really well and has lower mileage than any of my other options. Not going to pull the trigger on the first one I see unless it makes sense... (which usually does happen to me since I do a ton of research before buying basically anything... :)
Not sure why there would be an issue with a 12, they upgraded the motor that year, but it's the same car everywhere else. 08 is the start of the second gen and would be the year to be careful of, especially in your case considering 08-09 at a minimum were two horror story years for the AWD with shaft failures that some times took out the transmission. If there's no rust on the under carriage you should be good to go. I lived in Kansas with my FL car for 5 winters and returned home without a spec of rust. Perhaps it was the type of salt, quantity and length of Winter that made the difference. They may have used an equal amount of dirt to offset it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.