Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have been reading and gathering information and doing due diligence to gather answers but figured why not go straight to the source. I am thinking ( about 80% sure) of buying a 2007 ext with 49k miles. Price is around 25. I was wondering what a fair price is from a private party and anything I should be looking for as far as problem areas go on the EXT. It has navigation, heated cooled seats back up cam heated mirrors and steering wheel. You get the idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
DHS, 2007 ESV
241 Posts
Make sure they changed the oil, look for crud inside the oil fill cap and even stick a USB camera down in the oil fill tube to see how clean the cylinder head oily bits look. With miles that low, the other fluids won't have any risk of deterioration (trans, xfer case, F&R axles), but the engine will if they only changed the oil every 10000+ miles.

Also start it after sitting overnight and gently rev between 1000 and 2000 RPM repeatedly, checking for cold piston slap noise (if it has the issue it will sound just like a Diesel when doing this).

Carfax it to check for past collision damage.

Check trans shifting behavior to see if it feels OK.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mileage is good. That's not a bad price. Look through what Tec80 said and give the undercarriage a solid once over as well looking for any fluids. Sounds like a decent rig to me. I'd love to have that few miles. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, working on getting it all figured out. How does the escalade ext handle the extreme cold ( Im in fairbanks Alaska ) it was -53 the other night. I know the truck has to be winterized no big deal I was just checking to see if there was anything special i needed to do or look for.

·
Registered
2007 EXT
410 Posts
07 in -53* weather will piston slap forever LOL.

Mine sounds like a diesel for seriously 4 minutes and it only gets to be 45* outside.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Thanks for the advice, working on getting it all figured out. How does the escalade ext handle the extreme cold ( Im in fairbanks Alaska ) it was -53 the other night. I know the truck has to be winterized no big deal I was just checking to see if there was anything special i needed to do or look for.
Your motor will have piston slap. I just picked up a '07 Denali with 220km from Alberta and it has it. All '07-'08 trucks will have this issue. In my opinion, it's normal, but it can be annoying/embarrassing.

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
Punmax said:
Your motor will have piston slap. I just picked up a '07 Denali with 220km from Alberta and it has it. All '07-'08 trucks will have this issue. In my opinion, it's normal, but it can be annoying/embarrassing.
will?? 130k on my 08, quiet as a church mouse

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can handle the noise as long as it is not hurting anything, it has exhaust on it so that should help drown it out lol at -45 not to many people standing around outside listening for it and the GF well shes not a car person so will be none the wiser. so if i can get it for 23k with 49k miles on it it sounds like a good deal?

·
Registered
993 Posts
I can handle the noise as long as it is not hurting anything, it has exhaust on it so that should help drown it out lol at -45 not to many people standing around outside listening for it and the GF well shes not a car person so will be none the wiser. so if i can get it for 23k with 49k miles on it it sounds like a good deal?
Yeah, that sounds like a good deal. I was going to pick an '07 in Alberta for $14k with 200,000km on it but it was beat. Make sure to run a CarProof on it before you buy it and a pre-purchase inspection from a reputable mechanic will not hurt, either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts