Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong, I love the BMW. LOVE, I tell you, but... I think I'll LOVE 400 hp even more perhaps. Badass American Iron, yes!

Here is my concern: I'll have to get a used one, probably an '04 with 10k miles, so I was hoping to find a good dealer in the Twin Cities that would be willing to perform the list of TSBs for me.

Short version: Any dealer recommendations in or around the Twin Cities?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GOTTSPD said:
What year 330? My dad just sold me his '04 CTS-V and replaced it with a new generation 330.
2004 Coupe 6spd manual. I've driven the E90. Nice. But, like I said, perhaps not enough power. How's the Caddy treating you?

·
Registered
CTS-V
534 Posts
Its fantastic!

It really is a fantastic car. Its ridiculously fast, handles well, is very comfortable and has loads of toys.

Wheel hop is not much fun, but hopefully that'll be fixed some how/some way. I have an aftermarket shifter on order and that will solve that problem and I'll be working on modifying the exhaust soon to get a little more "oomph" from the exhaust system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. By most accounts, the Caddy is pretty close to the BMW in "feel", which is a great compliment, since the Germans have been perfecting it for decades, and I can tell you my 330 is amazing. However, I feel that the tradeoff will be worth it. I would actually feel proud to drive this American car, not that I'm overly sentimental about such things. 400hp should more than make up for any deficiency in a little stinking "feel", right??? YES!!!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've driven the BMW330 and can you guess what I ended up buying? The only thing I possibly miss is the ragtop feature; I was looking at convertibles only. The V, $ for $, was a much better buy and more fun to drive. Besides, I see a lot less V's then I do 3-series around here. I've seen people actually stop and checkout the V when parked, ever seen anyone do that to a 3-series (aside from the auto show or dealer showroom?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BadCad said:
I've driven the BMW330 and can you guess what I ended up buying? The only thing I possibly miss is the ragtop feature; I was looking at convertibles only. The V, $ for $, was a much better buy and more fun to drive. Besides, I see a lot less V's then I do 3-series around here. I've seen people actually stop and checkout the V when parked, ever seen anyone do that to a 3-series (aside from the auto show or dealer showroom?)
True, there are a million 3's around nowadays. Yes, the heavy convertibles are underpowered, the coupes will spank 'em pretty well...

I'm going to try to find a V this spring...

·
Registered
438 Posts
The V fixes a lot of problems with the 330. For example, it has just about twice the torque. The body doesn't roll over 45 degrees in corners. There is a LOT more power. Perhaps most importantly, it has a limited slip differential.

It also has the same type of comfort and option gadget largesse. You won't be sorry with the trade. There are a few weaknesses. The nose dips when stopping more than you are used to (bmw's are designed to lower the whole frame, not dip the nose). The steering isn't as good. The paint isn't as good. The clutch . . . is better, but still not great. It will use more gas and the tank really isn't big enough for the gas consumption. The wheels are easier to clean and easier to keep away from curbs. Even though it masks the weight well, the V is significantly heavier and you can't hide it forever.

I have not regretted this switch ever.

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
The 330 was tame and cramped (not just rear seat, driver's elbows also). The M3 was spirited but go cart-ish, and still cramped. The heavier V is mean and spacious with a great trade-off between road hugging and teeth rattle. Sort of an E55 with a stick shift.

Though I'm constantly tempted by the M5 and (lately) the S65, so far I can't justify the price... the fun factor difference just isn't that great. And if you think the V has reliability problems, talk to people who've owned AMGs and Ms after they've gone out of warranty...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts