Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been tossing around the idea of buying a replacement car for a while now, but I'm looking specifically at '97+ Eldorado ETCs. Preferably '97-'98, as the ETCs had some extra bells and whistles (versus '96) and came with chrome accents. I found a 1997 ETC with 120k for $6000 locally, but this price seems a bit on the low side. Are high miles typically a major detractor for the price of a used Eldo? I've seen numerous threads regarding the longevity of a properly-maintained Northstar engine, so I'm not terribly concerned... but I am curious.

I'm planning on looking at the Caddy tomorrow at the dealership. Is there anything in particular I should be watching for, aside from the usual oil and coolant leaks, worn struts, and carbon rap? I still intend on doing a general inspection as with any car, but wasn't sure if there were any additional trouble spots.

My parents used to have a 2000 ESC which I absolutely adored. It was a leased car through our company so its return was inevitable, but I've always wanted to find another for myself. Now I might just have the opportunity...

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,998 Posts
The biggest thing to check is the head gaskets. Take it for a long ride. Get it up to operating temperature and then drive it like you stole it. Give it some WOT and make sure that the temperature gauge stays at 12:00. If there are any hills in your area, drive it up and watch the gauge. If it has been maintained by a dealer they will have the records. Coolant should have been changed at least once by now.

High miles are a detractor for any car.Price is inveterately proportional to mileage.

Also check the Tech Tips section on how to pull the codes and check them when you look at the car.

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
I agree, if the vehicle has been properly maintained in all aspects, including coolant changes and oil and filter, I would not let the mileage deter you. one point of interest, check the ball joints, make sure they are tight, I could not locate any replacement ones for my 97 etc ANYWHERE, INCLUDING GM. I had to purchase used with the control arms from Cadillac King, they were out of a 97 etc that was wrecked with 36k on them, and they were like new upon arrival. My 97 etc was purchased new with 3 miles and put into service 9/96, the car now has 106k, has had oil and filter every 1500 miles, coolant change every year, and the routine service all the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. The car I was looking at was ultimately sold before I had a chance to see it in person, but I'm sure I'll come across others.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
What? Did Jason sell his?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts