Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac ATS Sedan AWD Premium 3.6
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally thought about an oiling from Krown but I don't like the idea of what oil does to plastics and rubber so I figured I would get Corrosion Free applied at a shop that comes highly recommended at many Toronto area car clubs.
It is also a liquid but doesn't drip or harm the rubber and plastics.

What does everyone else do?

Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before 1984 I bought second hand.
Since 1984 I bought only 2 cars.
A 1984 Pontiac Fiero and a 2003 Olds Alero.
Still have them both and are near mint.
Both bought new and were Rustproofed with that black tar stuff but I have heard it is not as good as Krown or Corrosion Free.
The ATS is a Premium with all options so I would like to keep it forever too.

·
Registered
2018 XTS VSport Platinum AWD
283 Posts
Unless you live in an area that has a lot of rusted out cars from the over use of road salt, I wouldn't do it.. I've heard that rust proofing can actually cause more rust.. Cause it lets moisture become trapped in places where it would normally drain out..

If you really want your vehicles to last forever, you might want to try my plan for the same thing..

I did my first engine oil change with less than 300 miles on the clock.. I had my transmission flushed at about 4000 miles.. And lately I had my differentials oils changed at less than 8000 miles.. I guess I'll do the transfer case some times this summer..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in Toronto, Canada
The Roads up here are treated like French Fries and are salted almost daily from December through March.
Everyone around here usually gets some kind of rust prevention done, otherwise the cars have big holes in them within 5 years.

·
Registered
2004 CTS (sold), 2014 ATS
453 Posts
I live in Toronto, Canada
The Roads up here are treated like French Fries and are salted almost daily from December through March.
Everyone around here usually gets some kind of rust prevention done, otherwise the cars have big holes in them within 5 years.
Rustproofing on modern cars is very good ... as long you keep it washed and waxed, I don't think you'll have a problem. I rarely see even surface rust on a car less than 10 years old any more.

·
Registered
XTS4 Luxury
96 Posts
Chevy pickups around here rust out after 3-4 years. Right above the rear wheelwells. Dodge trucks also get a lot of rust. Car bodies are better than they used to be, but now the rust often eats suspension components. Even heavy stuff fails frequently due to rust. Road salt is wicked stuff.

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
848 Posts
Chevy pickups around here rust out after 3-4 years. Right above the rear wheelwells. Dodge trucks also get a lot of rust. Car bodies are better than they used to be, but now the rust often eats suspension components. Even heavy stuff fails frequently due to rust. Road salt is wicked stuff.
And it's not really the salt coatings per se. That can be hosed off or washed off. What really hurts (mentally and physically), is when they use the salt/sand combo. The salt/sand pellets get picked up by the tires of the car in front of you and flung in your direction. That can crack your windshield or ping your body panels, breaking thru the paint and protection coatings. That's where the rust starts!

·
Registered
'14 BMW 328xi
320 Posts
Before 1984 I bought second hand.
Since 1984 I bought only 2 cars.
A 1984 Pontiac Fiero and a 2003 Olds Alero.
Still have them both and are near mint.
Both bought new and were Rustproofed with that black tar stuff but I have heard it is not as good as Krown or Corrosion Free.
The ATS is a Premium with all options so I would like to keep it forever too.
What's the factory rust warranty? Those other cars you mentioned would not have had a such a thing back then--and even then, CR and other outlets advised against getting dealer rustproofing.

Think about it--when's the last time you saw a modern car rusted out?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts