Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Thinking about getting an 03~05 Deville, what to look for?

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  SGWORLDWIDE 
#1 ·
I'm sort of looking at a newer car than what I have right now and I have a few questions...

Are there any trouble spots I should look for in these cars?
Is the active suspension in the DTS model really worth it since it costs so much to replace them?
Can the factory navigation be updated with current maps?
Are options such as nightvision, rear window curtain and back heated seats & massage really rare and if so, do they add any value to the car?
How do I know the factory speed limiter is set at without knowing the model of the original tires?

I'm leaning away from the DTS models because of the active suspension's maintenance cost, but from a performance standpoint... is the difference between the standard sedan and the DTS significant enough to be a big deciding factor when buying an used caddie?

#2 ·
I'm sort of looking at a newer car than what I have right now and I have a few questions...

Are there any trouble spots I should look for in these cars?
Nothing that will leave you stranded on the side of the road. But it is a piece of machinery and anything can fail at any time on any vehicle. Murphy's law applies.
Is the active suspension in the DTS model really worth it since it costs so much to replace them?
The short answer is yes.
I drove a '98 STS for 13+ years and a '04 DTS for almost 4 years and they both had the (F45) active suspension. And I can tell you that the active suspension saved my bacon several times before I even sensed that the wheel hop was getting out of control on a marginal road surface.
How do I know the factory speed limiter is set at without knowing the model of the original tires?
The original tire specifications are on a decal on the LF door opening. The speed limiter will not exceed the speed rating of the factory installed rubber. If you are asking about the max speed, you certainly want F45 suspension!!!

G
#4 · (Edited)
The DTS all the way the CVRSS system along with the stabiltrak has saved my life twice stick with a 04-05 best years as the headbolts where updated to 2.0 threading so HG issues are not a issue no more also 04 was the last year to have a full 300HP 05 was downrated to 290HP

The factory NAV can not be updated no more 09 i think was the last year of updates so its not worth it noting more then a fancy radio display better off with the regular bose radio with XM option,

The night vision also aint worth it thats why the option was dropped its more of a toy though it does work but if the camera breaks its expensive to fix plus it makes the front grill look dumb with a big hole

The DTS has nicer 17's rims front bucket seats L37 300HP engine compared to base deville and DHS's 275HP the floor shifter is nice as well compared to the column shifter in the DHS and base deville, heated and cooled seats are standard on the DTS and DHS main thing DHS has over the DTS is the rear eletronic sunshade and rear side door sunshades and rear vanity mirrors both cars have mostly the same stuff the DTS can go past 130sMPH the deville and DHS are limited around 112MPH

So theres noting major but these cars have alot of sensors then most and they can go wacky from time to time and cadillac if kinda famous for eletrical gremlins :D best thing learn the car and its parts so when something happens your not lost and can talk the talk to a mechanic if your not doin the work yourself

#7 ·
Some 04's do not all... And there's no surefire way to tell.... All 05's have it I would go for an 04 though newer and any car that is the last year for its body style seems like a plus to me.... Also 04-05 dts will have the heated steering wheel which can be nice in cold conditions, F45 cvrss is very nice either way I think you will be satisfied...... It is after all a 4000lb+ car not a ZL1 camaro

G
#9 · (Edited)
This is how u tell check the ID

From this we can determine that 2004 N*'s with the following engine ID's have the M11x1.5 threads like the 00-03's have.

JBA
JCA
LBA
LCA
JKB

We can also determine the following 2004 engine ID's have the new and improved M11x2.0 threads like the 05's have.

JBB
JBC
JKA
JMA
JMB
JPA
JPB
LBB
LCB

----------

The tires really have noting to do with the speed limiter u can put Z rated tires it does not affect it, the base deville and DHS are set at 112 with S rated tires and the DTS limit is around 130 with H rated from factory but ether way whatever tires are on there dont matter as most will never go to that speed level

#8 ·
That's probably a personal choice, but not in my opinion.

Are options such as nightvision, rear window curtain and back heated seats & massage really rare and if so, do they add any value to the car?
All except nightvision are standard on the DHS. Rear window shade is not even an option on the base Deville. Added value? :noidea: I suppose some.

112 on the Base & DHS (I think the DTS as well, but not sure).

I'm leaning away from the DTS models because of the active suspension's maintenance cost, but from a performance standpoint... is the difference between the standard sedan and the DTS significant enough to be a big deciding factor when buying an used caddie?[/QUOTE]

#13 ·
The 04-05 DTS has a higher final drive ratio, so it's quicker off the line but gets 2-3 worse mpg. The base DeVille feels lazy until you step on it, but you can get 25+ mpg on the highway at >70 if you're careful and use hills. I learned to appreciate the column shift and digital speedometer. My base model had the heated wheel and cooled seats, but no shades.

The 2006+ models have comfortable seats with significantly more rearward travel and side support (not always a plus if you like to lean to the side), but IMO a much inferior dash and door.

The power windows will need repairing at some point if they haven't been. The front suspension is very sensitive to tire imbalance, so you have to get quality tires installed well or you'll shake down the highway.

The engine ID code is visible on the passenger side rear corner of the engine.

#16 ·
I love my 04 base. It's got heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, and will hold 6 adults. I wouldn't call its performance lazy...but I guess it's all relative. Compared to my Honda crv and Chevy s10, my caddy is a race car. It handles great too. My traction control works just fine...the dts suspension will only get you around the nurburgring faster, not more safely.

#17 ·
If you drove a Deville down a twisty road and then drove a Deville DTS on that same road, you will be able to take the turns quicker and safer in the DTS. The Deville has a nice ride and can handle decently for the ride quality, but in an evasive maneuver to prevent an accident, I would most definitely prefer to be in a DTS than a Deville. The Deville wallows and plows through turns compared to the DTS, and that's why the DTS has a firmer ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.