Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Deville
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about putting a hitch on my 2004 Deville to pull a 2,000 lb popup camper. I currently have a RIM C0660 Level Control Exhaust Valve Circuit Malfunction code, so I'm not sure my ride height leveler is working. I also have been noticing hesitation from 1st to 2nd gear on the transmission. Will pulling a camper exacerbate these problems? What else should I be concerned about with doing this?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
No, your elc system cannot vent and is disabled. You can get a new OEM compressor from Arnott for just over $200. Pr, you can get a manual fill kit from Monroe, and adjust it with any air compressor as toy would a tire.

As for the hesitation, I'd start by pulling codes and checking fluid level/condition.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
So I'm thinking about putting a hitch on my 2004 Deville to pull a 2,000 lb popup camper. I currently have a RIM C0660 Level Control Exhaust Valve Circuit Malfunction code, so I'm not sure my ride height leveler is working. I also have been noticing hesitation from 1st to 2nd gear on the transmission. Will pulling a camper exacerbate these problems? What else should I be concerned about with doing this?
=================
I'm thinking about putting a hitch on my 2004 Deville
to pull a 2,000 lb popup camper.

you didn't mention how many miles on the car -
or how far you might tow the trailer -

2000lbs is the maximum limit of towing capacity -

towing that amount of weight 50 or 100 miles -
is a completely different story -
than planning a cross-country 2000 mile trip -

Will pulling a camper exacerbate these problems?
it certainly will not help the trans -

and you will have to replace the ELC compressor -
or install the manual-fill kit like MoistCabbage said -

unless the trailer has GREAT disc type brakes -
you might consider upgrading your existing brakes -
to heavy duty pads and rotors -

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
If I thought my transmission was acting up, the last thing I'd want to do is haul a bunch of extra weight across the country. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
98 ETC (RIP), 01 Deville
42 Posts
If you are going to tow anything. I would strongly recommend adding an additional transmission cooler, like a Hayden 403.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
TBH I don't think I would put a one-ton camper behind a vehicle with active air suspension. Probably ought to look into some air spring helpers just to keep the ride mostly level, and then pull the fuse on the pump

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
TBH I don't think I would put a one-ton camper behind a vehicle with active air suspension. Probably ought to look into some air spring helpers just to keep the ride mostly level, and then pull the fuse on the pump
======================
I don't think I would put a one-ton camper
behind a vehicle with active air suspension.

so many errors in this - where to start -

the Deville does not have air suspension -
it has coil-spring suspension - with ELC -
Electronic Level Control - in the rear -

only the DTS model Deville has "active" struts and shocks -
the base and DHS model Deville have passive struts and shocks -

a properly balanced 2000lb trailer will have around 150 to 200lb tongue weight -
the ELC shocks would have no problem supporting that weight -

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,331 Posts
I towed a empty enclosed trailer 6x8 and seven ft tall with my 2002 deville. The car did not like it. I live in Las Vegas we have hills and hot weather, had to shut the A/C off to keep the engine from over heating, and it was still running high heat. The Northstar engine is very small and has no torque, tranny was always shifting to a lower gear. I could not imagine towing 2,000 lbs with the deville. Better get brakes on the trailer and AAA for towing when the car breaks down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts