Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When our 2009 Escalade comes off lease in 6 months, we were thinking of going with a 2010 or 2011 Escalade Hybrid.

I was wondering how the reliability of the hybrid system is for you guys that have them.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

SG

·
Registered
2008 Escalade
14 Posts
Don't waste your money unless it is to go green. The extra 10K for the hybrid is equal to 3,333 gallons of gas at $3 per gallon. That will get you 43,329 miles at 13 miles per gallon. The car is underpowered and will need new batteries after 5 years which will cost 5K.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac Escalade
253 Posts
Don't waste your money unless it is to go green. The extra 10K for the hybrid is equal to 3,333 gallons of gas at $3 per gallon. That will get you 43,329 miles at 13 miles per gallon. The car is underpowered and will need new batteries after 5 years which will cost 5K.
Well put.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We would most likely be leasing the Hybrid and not keep it for more than 3 years. Also, the discounts on Escalades is always at least $10K or more. Hybrid battery is under warranty for 8 years or 100,000 miles.

SG

·
Registered
2008 Escalade
14 Posts
The total cost of the Hybrid vs. the regular Escalade will still be 10K more regardless of what discounts are available. The Hybrid is a horrible investment especially if you are only going to keep it for 3 years. Suppose you drive 15K miles per year. The Hybrid gas savings is about 7 miles per gallon which is about 400 gallons of gas per year. At $3 per gallon you are only saving about $1209.00 per year or $3627.00 over the 3 year lease. Why would you spend an extra 10K to save $3627.00 over 3 years?

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The total cost of the Hybrid vs. the regular Escalade will still be 10K more regardless of what discounts are available. The Hybrid is a horrible investment especially if you are only going to keep it for 3 years. Suppose you drive 15K miles per year. The Hybrid gas savings is about 7 miles per gallon which is about 400 gallons of gas per year. At $3 per gallon you are only saving about $1209.00 per year or $3627.00 over the 3 year lease. Why would you spend an extra 10K to save $3627.00 over 3 years?
How is the Hybrid $10K more than the standard Escalade?

Our 2009 fully loaded 2WD NON-Hybrid Escalade was: $70,175.00 and the Hybrid version was $72,000.00. My wife drives at least 30K or more miles per year for work, so I thought we would actually save money on fuel.

I was wondering about reliability of the actual hybrid system and also how noticeable the decrease in power is.

SG

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,702 Posts
The hybrid is not underpowered unless you think of hauling your construction materials(think works in construction). Power is more than adequate and the tow rating will tow anything except a big fifthwheel. like the post above, the battery is warrantied until 8 years or 100k miles(not bad). I do travel a lot during my vacation and the mileage is a plus as well as the city mileage of close to 20mpg for the 4wd(okay,18mpg). they gave me 0% for 60 months which was a very good deal and plan to keep it a little longer. with the automotive trend of making more and more hybrids on the road, I think the hybrid will retain its value more than the regular slade.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade
14 Posts
I do not mean to start an argument but I was getting the $10k difference because if you take the base model 2wd Lade the msrp is $62K. The same base model Hybrid Lade msrp is $73K. Obviously as you add options the price goes up on both and depending on your negotiating skills the price comes down. If you can get your dealer to drop the price $8K on the Lade you should be able to do the same for the Hybrid Lade. I live in the mountains and pull a boat on the weekends so I need the extra power.

I am just a Hybrid hater. The only reason Hybrids exsist is for political reasons. I prefer not to support the governments gilt trip to save the world by stopping global warming and eliminating our resources. It is amazing that we can go into outer space and send spacecrafts to mars but we can not develop an engine that gets 100mpg.

Anyways good luck with your purchase as I am sure you will buy what fits you and your family best.

·
Registered
Escalade ext
134 Posts
The Hybrid is truly a first effort .... If I had the extra bucks ... I'd have one. They are cool as hell to drive.

Almost bought a GMC Hybrid pickup... BUT the morons running GM decided that they wouldn't allow any options except a nav system in the truck .... so, no way I'd pay a premium to get a base model. IDIOTS in GM Management, complete IDIOTS.

·
Banned
2007 Escalade ESV
369 Posts
why are they cool as hell to drive? is it because you have the old 6.0 motor? or is it because someone will see you in a "green" truck?

I am afraid of a truck that has a battery that big in it. Going to cause trouble someday somehow!

·
Registered
Escalade ext
134 Posts
why are they cool as hell to drive? is it because you have the old 6.0 motor? or is it because someone will see you in a "green" truck?

I am afraid of a truck that has a battery that big in it. Going to cause trouble someday somehow!
No, I have an EXT 09 .. 6.2L

It's cool to drive because the feel of having the engine shut off while driving causes a false sense of panic. It's technology that should grow and be appreciated rather than be labeled.

As for Green .. I dont have any problem with that. Anyone who talks down the power obviously hasn't driven one. 95% of SUV owners dont tow, dont go offroad. So, calling it a slug is near sighted.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I would maybe get a hybrid if it did much better on the highway, it get the same as I get on the highway now, and I don't do enough city driving to make it worth it

·
Registered
Caddy EXT
640 Posts
Might help, me never crunched the numbers , I average 12 mpg being in the city most of the time . Doesn't look like it . Probably be like my D-Max diesel , a month or two after I bought it diesel shot up above the price of gas .

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,702 Posts
the thing that made me like the hybrid was the city mileage and a reasonable highway mileage coming from a heavy vehicle. if lexus LS640h can only come up with the same number as the slade hybrid, that is significant. my honda pilot can only get 14 city and 18 highway. they use the 6.0 liter engine because maybe they have a durable history. the only new technology is the 2 mode motor and automatic transmission combined to a mechanical 4wd. I like it better than the rx450h(cross-shopped vehicle) because the rx450h was parttime fwd and use electric motors for the awd duty. the 'bling' status of the slade was extra:)

·
Registered
2014 ELR
174 Posts
I would maybe get a hybrid if it did much better on the highway, it get the same as I get on the highway now, and I don't do enough city driving to make it worth it
Well, since hybrids are designed to recapture the energy that's currently wasted by slowing the vehicle down, it ain't gonna help much on the freeway.

Make mine the currently-shelved 4.5L Duramax Diesel, please. I 'd buy one of those now if they were available.

- Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts