Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'97 Catera (Ocean)
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving up the road the other day, and I spot a primo white 2000 Sport for sale. They want $4900 for it, but I think I will be able to talk them down. This is what I saw for features: Projector Lights, 17" OEM Sport Wheels, Bose Sterio, Black interior (looks immaculate), trunk spoiler. They advertise that it has a sun roof, but it definately doesn't, so that might be one of the points I bring up in negotiation. Knowing what the Catera is about I think I should be able to get them to drop down to 3000 to 3500. What do you guys think about the price, I didn't check odometer but it looks like low mileage

·
Registered
2000 Catera Sport
390 Posts
Dude, you are a gluten for punishment! =P The very thought of having more than one Catera to fix makes me wanna vomit all over my keyboard right now! ha! jk. Its a step up from a 97 though. IMO the face lift Cat's are more refined in the looks department. Definitely talk em down a bit since like you said, you know what these cars are all about. And use that as a negotiation point. I'm sure they know what a pain in the rump the car is to maintain and are just hoping someone will buy it. Mine was immaculate with only 50,000 miles on it when I bout it 2 years ago but thats prolly cause it had a blown headgasket (As I later found out) and they most likely garaged it. So be careful. Have it checked out if you can.

·
Registered
'97 Catera (Ocean)
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh believe me, I won't be buying another Catera without an extensive diagnostic and inspection. I prefer the facelift Cat as well, the wife prefers the pre(just because the Steinmetz was pre). I don't think the place thats selling it knows the difference between years either, or that there is a regular and sport models. So my education on the vehicle may work in my favor.

·
Registered
'97 Catera (Ocean)
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, and your parts, interior, exterior, and mechanical are all interchangable. Not much swaps availible with a 97 to a 2000 especially exterior styling!

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
if you can get a deal on it... I Say go for it.. why not... you already know all of its pains... not to mention that the 2000-up were fixed up quite well and hardly anything ever goes bad on them... I had mine since it had 59K now its nearing 125K... and its been nothing but pleasure to drive... oil changes and gas fill ups are the only real things that it needs... aside from the typical maintenance items..

Good luck!

·
Registered
2000 Catera Sport
390 Posts
"if you can get a deal on it... I Say go for it.. why not... you already know all of its pains... not to mention that the 2000-up were fixed up quite well and hardly anything ever goes bad on them... I had mine since it had 59K now its nearing 125K... and its been nothing but pleasure to drive... oil changes and gas fill ups are the only real things that it needs... aside from the typical maintenance items.. "

Wow! really?? I wish I could say the same. I've had a laundry list of probs with mine. None of them under $1000. Maybe mines just special =P I love my Cat but its been very expensive fixing it repeatedly. Good luck with the sport you found. Sounds like its in great shape. You'll have to post some pics!

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac SRX Performance FWD
147 Posts
Try and get it for less and then put the extra dollars into a dedicated account to pay for repair. I replaced my 1997 with a 2001 Sport cause I like the car so much, even with it's expensive faults. For the price + maintenance expenses, it's a nice car. Look for a 2001 Sport. Good points made, that since you know the problems with Cateras, you won't get frustrated when problem arise, and inevitably, they will

·
Registered
'97 Catera (Ocean)
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay so here she is, took her for a test drive today, 176000KM or 107K Miles, heated ricaro seats!

Gonna check the VIN with dealer and carfax. I talked him down to about $3500, he may go lower because the car has been sitting for a while.

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
I say get ready to do outter ball joints, idler arm, timing belt, thermostat, and water pump... and maybe some new fluids in the rear diff, trans, and motor... look for color of the coolant... watch the oil PSI gauge.. make sure its sitting nice and high...

Other then that... its a rare to see a white one...

I had a guy close to me sell a sweet black one for 2000... I kicked myself in the but for not getting that one... knowing all the work he did on it...

GOod luck post more pictures...

·
Registered
2000 Catera Sport, 1998 Catera
16 Posts
Yes, I have 2 too... Twice the fun!!! You forgot to mention the problems with the Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module EBTCM... that's a really fun one to swap out...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts