Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals,

First time poster(Hopefully many more if i buy). I have been thinking about buying this STS-V from someone locally. Hes had it for sale for a while but says mostly people from out of state call and never come or they could not get financing(due to age of car).

Its a 2006 STS-V with 98k on it. He just had it in the shop to replace the digital cluster. I have the opportunity to see it tomorrow. From all the pics it looks clean as hell other than a few scratches on two of the corners. Hes a very nice older gentleman so i know he took care of it. 2nd owner and hes had it for 5 years out of its entire life. Hes asking 13k for it but said hes willing to negotiate some.

I have done some searching but cant find much info on reliability of this engine with this many miles. Is the northstar supercharged an engine that can go 100k more? Should i expect many problems with this car and expensive repair bills?( compared to mercedes repairs?) I know gas mileage sucks on these, anything else to worry about? Is it good as a daily driver? Any input i can gather from forum members with experience with a high mileage sts-v is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and if you have any more questions about it that will help determine how good this car is i can try to answer

·
Registered
08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS
427 Posts
Post the VIN#, there are some very helpful guys on this forum that can probably tell you everything the car has ever had done to it. LOL

The LC3 is a solid engine and will last well over 100k when taken care of. There are a few bugs that can get expensive but over all your not going to find a better car for $13k IMO. I have put 20k miles on mine in 2 years and I still enjoy driving it every time I get behind the wheel.

·
Registered
06' STS V
491 Posts
Hi guys and gals,

First time poster(Hopefully many more if i buy). I have been thinking about buying this STS-V from someone locally. Hes had it for sale for a while but says mostly people from out of state call and never come or they could not get financing(due to age of car).

Its a 2006 STS-V with 98k on it. He just had it in the shop to replace the digital cluster. I have the opportunity to see it tomorrow. From all the pics it looks clean as hell other than a few scratches on two of the corners. Hes a very nice older gentleman so i know he took care of it. 2nd owner and hes had it for 5 years out of its entire life. Hes asking 13k for it but said hes willing to negotiate some.

I have done some searching but cant find much info on reliability of this engine with this many miles. Is the northstar supercharged an engine that can go 100k more? Should i expect many problems with this car and expensive repair bills?( compared to mercedes repairs?) I know gas mileage sucks on these, anything else to worry about? Is it good as a daily driver? Any input i can gather from forum members with experience with a high mileage sts-v is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and if you have any more questions about it that will help determine how good this car is i can try to answer
Sounds like a great price on a great car...mine has 106k and runs like a new one,just keep up the maintenance as required and it will be reliable just like any other vehicle...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vin # 1G6DX67D560185280

Thanks for the prompt input so far. Is this good as daily driver? i drive about 40 miles a day to work and back.

I believe this engine has a timing chain? is this known to go bad?

I just don't want to get stuck with a car that costs me 1000's to repair because they have common failures outside of regular maintenance.

·
Registered
06' STS V
491 Posts
Vin # 1G6DX67D560185280

Thanks for the prompt input so far. Is this good as daily driver? i drive about 40 miles a day to work and back.

I believe this engine has a timing chain? is this known to go bad?

I just don't want to get stuck with a car that costs me 1000's to repair because they have common failures outside of regular maintenance.
Just remember....
This was an $80k car new,it's a Cadillac and very limited production.....
So that means nothing about it is cheap to fix or maintain.
if you wanting economy,this isn't the car for you...terrible gas milage,expensive parts,limited production hand built motor,limited wheel and motor upgrade options,ect.....
Having said that, if you wanting a RARE, classy,luxury Cadillac that will beat Camaros,most Mustangs and Corvettes??
Then get one....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The hard to find parts scare me. Does this car have to be worked on by a cadillac dealer or can a normal mechanic handle most issues?

The gas isnt too much of an issue since the mercedes i was looking at before wasn't too much better. Upgrading and tuning isn't a thing for me and i would always like to sell as stock later on.

The minor repairs dont bother me, its being stranded and not being able to make to to work and having to take time off constantly. I know this can happen to any car out there but some cars are known to fail like crazy at 100k miles and over and was trying to see if by others experience that this was one of them.

I've never driven or even sat in one so i guess i owe it to myself to at least go see the car tomorrow.

----------

Do you think i should i look for a lower mileage V?

·
Registered
'06 STS-V, '17 CTS-V
777 Posts
The lower mileage on any car the better. But if you can blast the guy for 10-11 you're getting a GREAT deal, IMHO. Your getting a good deal at $13k. If maintenance has been kept up with as stated above, you're looking at wheel bearing replacement every 40-50k mi, tires every 25k mi, and thermostat every 60k mi. Those are probably the only differences between these performance sedans and their luxury counterparts...from ANY brand, minus the t-stat. Parts are expensive on any high end sport sedan...Cadillac will be no cheaper than any mercedes or bmw parts, and vice versa. From a motor/trans point of view these are virtually bulletproof.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the useful info. I was prepared to pay same price just hoping not the same amount of issues. Some other brands need shop work every other month it seems for some bullshit electrical problems so was hoping this was not the case for the sts-v.

I agree with getting a good deal at 10-11 but I have a feeling we will settle around 11-12. Very excited to drive one tomorrow. Will report back after i see it in person.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,007 Posts
Google-ing the vin suggests that its a 1 owner car ... so if he has had it from new and is at 100K miles maybe he kept it up the whole time due to the money invested.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V Black On Black
1,428 Posts
That's a steal! If you're not really planning on modding I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. Even if you do minor mods, there still shouldn't be anything to worry about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well car was a dud. Not sure if dude was so old that he couldnt see and hear the problems. Fired it up sounds like a belt squealing. Cracks in top of dash, floor gross, back seat was dirty as hell, smelled really bad. Damn camera filters. No wonder it hasnt sold. Thanks for all your responses guys but looks like im not going to be the proud owner of a sts-v. Till next time.

·
Registered
2017xts vsport platinum, 2011EXT, gt500
1,019 Posts
Did you drive it.squealing belts are easy to fix. And a gdetailedrcsr can fix the looks including the dash.if it runs wellaybe you could get it for 8k a steal.id run thhroigh the gears under wot and see how it shifts and stops before totally rejecting it

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
I have heard smell can be from cabin air filter and one other thing, could be simple fix. Belt as mentioned could be just needing a new one. Cracked dash sux. I have a small crack in mine, keeping an eye on it.

It is really tough going to see a car that looks and sounds great in a listing. I went thru allot of that looking for a STS V8.

Also do not expect good mileage from one of these cars.. They are fun as heck, but it is a pay to play sort of fun with regards to fuel consumption.

·
Registered
08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 13 cts vagon
1,611 Posts
Man my others car must get real shit mpg because the Stsv gets the best over all. The c5 does great all hy but for get city driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I drove it. Hell of a car but seriously this car was nasty. The smell was like dogs or dirty diaper not produced from the engine. Too many little things, pieces of plastic chipped in many areas, pieces of interior missing, glove compartment has to be locked or falls down, ashtray compartment doesnt open, on top of the dash in the middle theres a 1 inch hole in the plastic where some sensor is, plastic covers missing from the rails of the seats underneath, the suede was discolored as hell. Front glass looked like it had been replaced and shitty at that, could see glue remnants.

Just too disappointed to even make a low offer. I know a lot can be fixed or replaced but im looking for a daily driver so dont have time for that plus i imagine some parts are hard to source.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=32730&endYear=2016&modelCode1=STS&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&makeCode1=CAD&searchRadius=25&showcaseListingId=0&trim1=STS|V&mmt=[CAD[STS[STS%7CV]][]]&listingId=366783383&Log=0

If anyone wants it there is the ad and good luck!

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,007 Posts
Looks pretty beat up on the outside. The inside pics either don't show or are hiding the issues with angles / lighting.

·
Registered
'06 STS-V, '17 CTS-V
777 Posts
Yes I drove it. Hell of a car but seriously this car was nasty. The smell was like dogs or dirty diaper not produced from the engine. Too many little things, pieces of plastic chipped in many areas, pieces of interior missing, glove compartment has to be locked or falls down, ashtray compartment doesnt open, on top of the dash in the middle theres a 1 inch hole in the plastic where some sensor is, plastic covers missing from the rails of the seats underneath, the suede was discolored as hell. Front glass looked like it had been replaced and shitty at that, could see glue remnants.

Just too disappointed to even make a low offer. I know a lot can be fixed or replaced but im looking for a daily driver so dont have time for that plus i imagine some parts are hard to source.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=32730&endYear=2016&modelCode1=STS&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&makeCode1=CAD&searchRadius=25&showcaseListingId=0&trim1=STS|V&mmt=[CAD[STS[STS%7CV]][]]&listingId=366783383&Log=0

If anyone wants it there is the ad and good luck!
Honestly, that's this guys beater car. Look at it. Nobody would throttle an $80k car like that. Look at the house. Tells you this car was beyond caring for. Paver driveway! You found a bad one. Most are owned by guys like us, from what I've seen. Babied...

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Mad what sort of mileage are you getting? And what is your tune!?!? I have a HPTuner on the way and would love to hear what tunes folks are running.

V cruises on highway pretty good, but lot of hills around here and traffic lights every 1/8mile nuke mpg for 1/2 of my commute

·
Registered
08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS
427 Posts
Anyone that put Autozone crap floor mats in a V doesn't deserve to own one!

Mad what sort of mileage are you getting? And what is your tune!?!? I have a HPTuner on the way and would love to hear what tunes folks are running.

V cruises on highway pretty good, but lot of hills around here and traffic lights every 1/8mile nuke mpg for 1/2 of my commute
I just got my HPT and had Tim C do the tune. I have the same type of stop and go commute to work and lost a little mpg but it's probably because the new found power is too fun not to get on it leaving every light... I got an avg. of 13mpg on the first tank with the tune and back to 15mpg on my last tank.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts