Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
None
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But this whole rear-diff thing has me worried. I did just sell my 2001 Audi S4 in which I replaced the turbos... so it cant be worse... right? How much does it cost to fix this problem? Also, how much is a clutch job roughly?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
But this whole rear-diff thing has me worried. I did just sell my 2001 Audi S4 in which I replaced the turbos... so it cant be worse... right? How much does it cost to fix this problem? Also, how much is a clutch job roughly?

Thanks guys!
If you get a 2004 or 2005 without a warranty, then look out for the rear.

Here are some great clutches with flywheels...http://www.monsterclutches.com/gm.html

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis
906 Posts
good questions... i picked up a 2005 with 33K and have heard much about the diff problem. I saw warranty work done in regards to a bushing in the rear... same thing? related? What is the diff issue? how expensive? any early symptoms? How will i know?

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
108 Posts
wonderful clunk that comes out the back when you shift, get on it, look at it wrong, call it names, etc etc.

the clunk can be fixed (for the most part) with a poly bushing from UUC, once that is done i imagine the rear diff will last much longer, not takin that hammering (the clunk). Next problem is wheel hop, which in theory The new DSS axles fix that. so ~ 2k worth of moddin, for a poly bushing, short throw and dss axles, the car should be night and day better than it already is.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,074 Posts
... What is the diff issue? how expensive? any early symptoms? How will i know?
The theory is that wheelhop causes rapidly cyclical, very high loading on the diff. If this occurs a number of times, a whining sound can develop coming from the diff especially under light acceleration in 6th gear from about 45 MPH up to about 55 MPH. Most cars have had the slightly upgraded '06/'07 diff (and axles) installed, but whining can still develop depending on severity of operation. The new DSS axles now being sold by a vendor here appear to virtually eliminate wheelhop and thus MAY be a preventative for the eventual development of diff whine. It must be noted that this last statement is currently being put to the test.

·
Registered
CTS-V
51 Posts
I thought the clunk was just from bushings and is the driveshaft shaking. Also, isn't the light wine a transmission wine? I get it occasionally but nothing I haven't heard from other performance cars.

·
Registered
05 Black CTS-V
233 Posts
Check out the classifieds. I have my certified pre owned CTS-V with 100,000 mile warranty for sale.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts