Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 champagne catera (sold), 98 silver Catera
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think it would be really cool to stuff a 2JZ into a Catera. I know it would be a lot of work, but man it would be fast. It would be a lot easier to fit than a V8 swap too I assume. I am seriously considering doing this over the next winter. I am perfectly aware that it will cost me thousands and take alot of time, it doesn't bother me.

A good friend of mine just finished swapping a 1JZ into a s13 240sx, which would be around the same amount of work as this project, and a lot tighter of a squeeze. Another friend has done 2 SR20 swaps into 240sx's. My brother just bought an R32 Skyline GTS-T (RB20), and he is swapping in a RB25 soon. All of this import madness around me has got me thinking, and after my first ride in a turbo car, I have come to the conclusion; "turbo lag, it's worth the wait"

I am trying to gather as much information as possible, so help is appreciated.

I am aware of how difficult it will be to integrate the ABS and TC, but I figure I can make do without them. Also, I have decided on going with an automatic transmission to make the swap A LOT simpler.

List of stuff needed; I imagine this list will grow significantly, so chime in if you have ideas.

2JZ GTTE, Auto Transmission, ECU, Harness (already priced out at $2450.00)
Custom power Steering pump setup
Custom fabbed engine and tranny mounts
Custom fabricated drive shaft
Turbo back exhaust
Rear end swap (LSD, axles, etc)
Intercooler and custom charge piping
BOV
Boost, A/F Gauges

·
Registered
NONE
12 Posts
Oh my goodness you are in for a world of hurt swagg. Doing a one off swap is a major headache. Turbo power is a great thing...nothing is better than hearing the tubro spool and feeling those g's. But this is too much....If you want import power buy an import.....the s13 swap is easy because thats a Nissan car and the RB engine is nissan. I would suggest buying a 240sx or an old skool RX-7! But if you dead set on your Catera than swap in a Corvette V-8...keep it all in the family. There are some awesome remote mount turbo systems. Check them out www.ststurbo.com

·
Registered
99 champagne catera (sold), 98 silver Catera
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh my goodness you are in for a world of hurt swagg. Doing a one off swap is a major headache. Turbo power is a great thing...nothing is better than hearing the tubro spool and feeling those g's. But this is too much....If you want import power buy an import.....the s13 swap is easy because thats a Nissan car and the RB engine is nissan. I would suggest buying a 240sx or an old skool RX-7! But if you dead set on your Catera than swap in a Corvette V-8...keep it all in the family. There are some awesome remote mount turbo systems. Check them out www.ststurbo.com
Just a simple correction; my friend swapped a TOYOTA 1JZ into a NISSAN 240sx in a matter of days. I realize that this swap has been done before, and there are already plans made for the custom engine mounts, but I don't see it being too difficult to get some plans drawn up to do this swap in a catera. Other than that, I don't see how this swap would be any more difficult.

I don't think I could stand sitting in a buzzy, noisy little 240 or rx7. I like the feel of my Cadillac's leather and wood trimmed interior. I like having all that room to spread out in. I love the sound of my Bose stereo. I love the fact that I can simply push a button on my steering wheel to change the song. The only thing that my Catera is missing, is balls.

I was just looking for a little insight. I'm definitely not dead set on the swap, but I think it is an attainable goal, and is not near as hard as some may think, or make it out to be.

Fitment issues are way less likely to come by with the 1JZ or 2JZ, compared to a V8. As i stated before, I am wanting to go with the automatic transmission 2JZ to simplify the swap. I would Just run the main harness through the firewall where the old one used to be, and just splice in my gauges. (not this simply obviously, but you get the idea)

An STS turbo on a catera is not an economical way to go. The L81 V6 has absolutely NO aftermarket parts available, the stock fuel system is almost at its maximum efficiency, the internals are not forged, making a turbo setup, STS or not, not feasible.

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
I dont care if its a cadillac with a toyota power, just do it!... I6 Turbo >>> V8

A boosted 3.0L inline 6 with 300-400hp is going to be simply put awesome!...

The rear end has something like 11-12" of room for some fat 285 rubber... and some nasty camber if you lower it, so from that aspect you are all set to go...

GTO or the V8 Rear diff will help out with the stress... and the rest should be fairly simple...

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts