Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
none
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for one with no more then 40k miles......what kind of risk am i taking by not buying a warranty?

my cousin has a 04 cts, purchased a 3 yr warranty and never had a single thing go wrong...

also if i did buy one, how much would should i expect to pay?

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 2003
144 Posts
I have a 2003. More problems than you can shake a stick at. I purchased a warranty for my 3yr old in Aug 2006 with only 32,500 miles. I have 52,500 now. My warranty has shelled out over $7000 US in various repairs. I paid about $1500-1600 for it, 4-5 yrs (I forget) or 50,000 miles. Even though my trade-in value has dropped like a brick and is worth less than I owe, my warranty has allowed me to keep it.

Never buy a first year model. I should have bought a DTS with a Northstar engine. Maybe the newer CTS models have been better, I hope so for all the forum members.

·
Registered
none
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks tom^

ok let me add this in maybe ill get more input...

Im 21 years old, i plan on buying the car straight up, no loans, no financing, no car payment etc. u get the point. i probably will put about 3k miles on it per year. i make ok money for now (bout 32k a year) ...in MY situation, is it worth buying a extended warranty? specially given the amount of miles im likely to put on it each year

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,820 Posts
First of all, even though you have the money to buy it out right. You really should finance it. Because you will be able to build your credit up like that. Second, it's best to get some type or warranty on any car anyways. Domistic or import, doesn't matter. Lets just say this, my aunt works at a Subaru dealer in the repair area and I've read a piece of paper she used to write down information for me. Anyways, on the other side there was an order form for an 07 Forester that has been in the shop three times for the same "problem" Things replaced here and there and so on.

But as for the 06 that I bought back in December. I've had it in for little things, but they could of broken by the previous owner because I haven't heard anyone complain about it. It was the Memory seat number One button and the module for the seat it self.

Just like Tom said, never buy a first year model, and the 06 is not a first year. So you are good on that part.

KOT

·
Registered
41,009 Posts
Luciano--everyone will have a different opinion on what's the "best thing" to do. I personally have never purchased an extended warranty because I don't keep cars long enough to justify the cost. Are you at all mechanically inclined? Could you do simple mechanical repairs yourself? If you find a well-maintained '06 with low miles you should be good to go...but if you buy someone else's headache then God help you. Try to get a CarFax and a mechanic's check of the car you want to buy. (And I disagree with KingofTypos about financing; why pay interest if you don't have to??) Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts