Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm flying to NYC to pick this up:

While I'd probably like to get the hell out of that of that stupid city ASAP, I think I might also want to stop and eat some local food and maybe see/do something. However, I dont want to wait in line for hours to go up the statue or the Empire State Building.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Nice! Was that posted on here?

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
If you'd like some of the best italian-inspired food and don't mind paying for a good meal.. there's a little place called Scalintellas (sp?)... I believe it's on 3rd and 58th... it's about two blocks east from the south end of Central Park. We spend a long weekend in the city every year around the holidays, lovely city during that time of the year. We always stay at the Peninsula Hotel, which is on 5th and 55th, and I'm almost certain we always walk up about three blocks and then over two... fantastic lobster ravioli in a reisling-reduced marinara.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
I'd leave the car parked and take public transportation. There's a reason so many New Yorkers don't even have drivers licenses.
Check out the Met if you can. The Natural History museum is cool too.

·
Registered
2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
Look forward to another one of your travel threads with lots of pictures (and of course, a comparison of the STS to your Lexus).

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2947

East Islip, NY, but I suspect he'll just be meeting me at the airport. He accepted my offer. Only thing left to do is buy a flight.
Which airport? If you're flying into Newark I'd recommend driving to Weehawkin and taking the ferry over. One will take you right across, I think to 38th street, but the other one will take you all the way down around the island to the financial district. That one is the best as you get to see a good part of the city from the water, perfect picture opportunities.

Also, how exactly are you getting the car home? Do you have the title already? I'm just wondering since you're not getting it from a dealer so you won't have any temp tags to drive it with.

I'd leave the car parked and take public transportation. There's a reason so many New Yorkers don't even have drivers licenses.
Check out the Met if you can. The Natural History museum is cool too.
Agreed wholeheartedly. I won't drive myself in the city, if I ever even thought about it, it would be with a rental car and certainly not my own. Hence the reason I mentioned Weehawkin, because if we ever drive ourselves up we just park the car in Jersey, take the ferry over, and hop in a cab. Usually when we go for more than just a day trip we just hire a car service, it's a lot easier that way. The one company we're dealt with for years will just charge us as airport service, something like $50 each way for a Town Car, we've been lucky enough a few times where they didn't have any Townies available and sent a six-passenger stretch. Let me tell you, that's THE way to arrive in NY, we may be "paupers," but when you pull up to a NYC hotel in a limo, you feel like a million bucks! Either way it's so much nicer having a car take you right into the city than having to worry about leaving your car over multiple nights in North Jersey (sorry, Sandy!)

Kudos on suggesting the Met, it's a great place, but it's not really worth it to just go for a few hours, you need at least one full day, if not two to be able to see even a fraction of everything they have. If time constraints are a matter, I'd suggest checking out the Guggenheim, plus the little vendor out front has some of the best sausage sandwiches on the whole friggin' island :yup:

You're correct on the Statue, you'll wait forever trying to get up there. The lines for Ellis Island aren't as bad. You'd be surprised with the Empire State Building though, the wait usually isn't as bad as you think, although it's best to do that at night time.

Oh, and btw... congrats on picking up a new Caddy! Didn't even know you were looking to get one!

·
Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade
5,826 Posts
If this is on a weekend and you need a lift from the airport to the car, let me know. I'm in Queens (right near both NY airports and not to far from LI).

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I got a free ticket from UniTED last time I flew so maybe Ill join Jesda up there in New york for a weekend, the three of us can meet up. Not for sure yet, I need to make sure I dont need my ticket for something else.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
Do like everybody else; get mugged, get shot at, have a taxi driver take you all over Manhattan with the meter running to go two blocks.There are all kinds of fun things to do. Remember, you have a better chance of being eaten by a grizzly bear in Alaska than being run over by a cab in New York. It's not all bad.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Do like everybody else; get mugged, get shot at, have a taxi driver take you all over Manhattan with the meter running to go two blocks.There are all kinds of fun things to do. Remember, you have a better chance of being eaten by a grizzly bear in Alaska than being run over by a cab in New York. It's not all bad.
Been there much? You'd get mugged, shot at, stabbed, and meet a neurotic taxi driver in Philly more often than you ever will in NYC.

I'm a huge fan, though I can't think of any specific place to recommend--I like just walking around and going everywhere I can. One thing is for sure, too, unlike Philly and other cities, NYC is busy but you feel safe and it's actually clean. I hope to get back up this fall/winter for my annual day trip I've missed the past few years.

·
Banned
2008 CTS
1,192 Posts
You a beer drinker?
McSorley's Old Ale House15 East 7th Street New York, NY 10003
Or
The 80th Annual Feast of San Gennaro, New York City's oldest, biggest and best religious street festival will be celebrated starting Thursday, September 13, and continuing through Sunday, September 23, 2007.
Or
Lunella Ristorante 173 Mulberry St. Italian, family style

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Black Raven
341 Posts
nothing to do in Islip ... maybe some bars.... but next time come in the summer..... come with some friends and take a ferry to fire island... its ight over there.. just make sure you go to ocean... the other parts of fire island are ummmm "different"..

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
by all means do the following for us suffering floridians ...

take a crap on anything that says "I love New York"
Kick as many new yorkers in the balls as possible , when they ask "why" say "thats what we do back home , get used to it"
Reproduce quickly , or at least makes many donations to sperm banks to flood there population with non new york genes
cut as many people off as possible ...
run over as many new yorkers as possible ...
tailgate and haul maximum ass to just simply go to the grocery store
make sure you spend more time on the horn and cell phone then doing any acutal driving
run all red lights

oh and yell "stay the hell out of florida" in times square ....and also yell "if you love this place so much dont bother moving " and "florida wont pay you any beatter"

thanks , with your help we can start to cut down on the ammont of these people on my roads ...i was here before them , i will be here after ...but untill they all leave i will have to put up with the "Im from NY im beatter then you " and the contant bikering about how great New York is....

oh and stop by the world trade center and shed a tear for ol stoney ....and say the pledge of alliegance ....

id say have a nice trip ....but your going to hell to rescue a caddy , i should give you a medal for that ....

my appolgies to wolf , and the boombotz amy mrs sal and sal ....yall are allright in my book ....but good lord the bastards that followed you are in desperate need of some medicine....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts