Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Seville STS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2002 STS from a Cadiilac dealer in 2005. The car was 3 years old with just 22,000 miles on the odometer; it was so clean it was in the showroom and a certified pre-owned car. Within 8 months of my purchase the car developed an engine knock when started first thing in the AM. The dealer determined it to be an engine problem and replaced the pistons and connecting rods. That was a bit disconcerting but the warranty covered it. Now the car has 55,000 miles and I am getting a low oil pressure warning message when the car is idling (warm). I changed the oil and the sensor but that did not help. I only use Mobil1 5W30 synthetic and the oil is changed every 4,000 miles or sooner. Now I'm looking at a $5000 repair!!! In addition to that the heated seats in front stopped working, the front door seals continue to leak after being returned to the dealer twice and the motor mounts had to be replaced just to name a few. It's not just me...my friend has a 2001 ElDorado ETC and he's relaced the engine and transmission with just 70,000 miles on the car! I can't believe these cars are so bad; if you're considering one you really should think twice. This was my first and last Cadillac!

·
Registered
eldorado
125 Posts
There are lemons in every batch..Im always leary of a 60k auto traded in with 22k on it ? think of the hit they took tradeing in and maby they knew somthing.. Ive had 3 caddy's and other than normal repair good cars ,I had one with 330k on spedo with orig northstar untouched .. Good Luck.

·
Registered
'03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11
671 Posts
Try running dino oil... try running higher weight oil... look for oil leaks... any 7 year old car will have problems... is it still under warranty?

·
Registered
2002 Seville STS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car was a 3 year lease and returned in to the dealer at the end of the lease. I did Carfax on it but all looked good. I also had them put it up on the lift so I could see underneath and I had them print out any codes with the system before I bought it.
I went from Mobil1 5W30 to Castrol Synthetic 10W40. I may go to a dino 20W50 or straight 30W and trade it in on another car. It's just not worth sinking the cost of a new/rebuilt motor into the car. I know the car is seven years old but I babied this thing. It's only got 55,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1994 Eldorado
18 Posts
well, i beat the piss outta my eldo with 130000 miles on it...it still works fine. your just generalizing too much

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab
725 Posts
Well sorry to hear about your problems, however you should hold off passing judgement on an entire line of cars because you're having a bad experience with yours. First I would follow the advice given by STSS and run convential 5W-30 in your car, it doesn't require synthetic so give the standard a shot and see what happens. Are you putting the proper amount in...7.5 qts with the filter prefilled? If you're filling to the top of the full you're overfilling it. Also you're wasting time and money by changing oil at 4k mile intervals....the Caddy's have a top notch oil life monitoring system, its in the DIC and explained in the manual, reset it next time you change the oil and follow those recommendations...you'll likely double the oil life.

The heated seats are a known issue, but its a common issue in lots of cars, you have a small gauge(diameter) wire that is getting current passed through it to heat up, then you're making it flex frequently everytime you get in or out of the car, then the wire cools down....eventually its going to short. Its easy to fix, search here for the DIY fix or you can buy the replacement heater elements.

Yes motor mounts are a weak point of this car, the newer design they went to that your car has doesn't last as long, several guys have experiemented with making them a solid mount and I know there is a prototype aftermarket design in process, not sure what the status of it is though.

And I'm also rather questionable of any piston/rod job for a knock on a car with that low of miles....my first guess is that its more the dealer was able to get easy money cause they knew the warranty would cover it and with the hours that they could bill out it was going to keep a mechanic busy for a day or two.....now not saying that its not possible that it really was the problem....but I would be skeptical until seeing the bad piston or rod.

Yes the cars do have some known issues, however you're getting a luxury car, you're paying for those features and the ride and style that it offers, if you were looking for something that has the maintenance requirements of a 2 year old car you're in the wrong car.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,755 Posts
Mr. 3 posts PF36,

Maybe you are upset, but your generalizations and bashing really detract from any valid point you are trying to make. My SLS (01) has been a really great car. I have had it for 6 years. I too use dino in that, even though I use Mobil1 in my other vehicles. These cars need regular coolant changes, occasional WOT, as well as oil changes. Have you been doing that?

·
Registered
2002 Seville STS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for not spending my days posting (what could you possible have to say in 2900+ posts!!) but these are not generalizations to me. This is the first car I've had with engine problems such as these and I've had quite a few. Motor mounts, leaking etc just add to the frustration. The first thing i do is seek out others who may be having the same problems. I don't beat the heck out of my cars but I do maintain them very well. I've built several vehicles from hot rods to muscle cars, enignes an all things mechanical (I don't do bodywork).

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,494 Posts
Sort of parallel dates, here. I bought my 2002 F55 STS in November of 2005, certified, with 28,147 miles.

The ONLY warranty work I have needed was both CKP's and a R/F wheel bearing capsule at around 35,000 +/-.

Otherwise, dead nuts rock solid, 25 mpg highway on 87 octane, Pennzoil 5W-30 synthetic, a quart every 3,500 - 4,000 miles, no lumps, bumps, shakes or shimmies. Hops up to the H speed limiter cutoff at 132 mph (GPS) three, maybe four times a month. No problems.

Happy camper.....:bouncy:

·
Registered
'03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11
671 Posts
Buying a N* is all about research... don't do your research, and you get burned... you never plan to fail, you only fail to plan.

How long did it take you to find the "right" STS Sub?

·
Administrator
69,494 Posts
I started lurking in here as a non-member almost exactly 8 months before I bought the car. A friend called me and said this one was on its way to Annapolis by truck from Staten Island as an inter-dealer swap. (Never had heard of such a thing).

Just for the record, the car had already had the fuel tank pressure sensor recall done, the Seville trunk leak repairs (dealer), the L/F wheel bearing capsule, and an ignition switch replacement. The dealer and previous owner turned over all that paperwork.

·
Registered
2002 Seville STS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Submariner409: You win and I lose! But I do remember the first drive and the day I took it home, it still is a sweet looking car! I'm having mine towed to the dealer I bought it from; he promised to troubleshoot it as much as possible and he'll call first if he needs to break the motor down. I was planning on keeping this car for a long time but now who knows!

·
Administrator
69,494 Posts
PF.....Ask your dealer service writer to give you a copy of the GM VIS report. This shows all GM recall, safety, warranty, and most GM service work done on your car. Look at the sticker on the under side of the spare tire cover, write down all the 3-character codes (watch the "1" and "I") and enter them into www.cadillacfaq.com/rpo/index.php to find out what RPO (Regular Production Options) are in your car. The tire sticker speed rating info on the driver's door gives the speed limiter rating for the car.....S is 112, H is 130, and W/Z is 150+.

BTW.......the driver's heated seat crapped out in March. I'll do that this summer.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
First of all you're changing your oil way to often probably doing more damage than good.

Secondly if the door seals leak I'd say the car has been hit. I don't think that's normal at all.

Motor mounts do break on these cars. It's a known fact and we all deal with it, or we get slid mounts to overcome the lack of engineering. They should only be breaking if you driving the car hard, not under normal daily driving conditions.

Additionally the N* will run better and last longer if you do run it once in a while. Babying these things is not a good plan. I too think you're generalizing here. Some of the problems you've encountered are relatively common and what I consider normal but others are way off base. I just think you got a bad car.

What is it that's going to cost you $5000 to repair? Do you really have low oil pressure?

BTW, Cadillac doesn't report collision damage to CarFax so you'd never know unless someone was honest.

·
Registered
75 Eldo Convertible
340 Posts
i don't blame the guy for being pissed off. I'd be pissed if i were him too.

I loved my 97 seville but I also took a bath on that thing and spent thousands on repairs and I was the but of a few jokes.

At the same time, a lot of the guys who have great luck with these are car guys and really know what they're doing from a maintenance perspective. The everyday schmo is the guy who gets hosed due to a lot of factors.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,755 Posts
(what could you possible have to say in 2900+ posts!!)
My wife has asked me the same exact question......

And by the way, it's not that I don't have some sympathy for you, or ignore the fact that there are known issues, it was just a poor approach to generalize that our cars "ar JUNK". (sic) Peace.

·
Registered
98 STS
295 Posts
if you have a sun roof make sure the drain tubes are clear, my ignorance cost me a door seal when the only thing wrong was a clogged drain hose leaking in the A pillar

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
I feel bad for ya, but again as some stated, there are always lemons. I run a site just like this for Chrysler Sebrings. We've had some folks with nasty problems and "inexcusable" problems, and then others with no problems or only the standard wear and tear.

I bought my '98 with 68000 miles in 2004 and have literally beat the snot out of it and its purring along at 156,000mi now. the only annoying thing i hear is what is called 'cold carbon rap' or something on this forum. i have parked and walked by other cadillac's with the same engine and they also have it so its not just me and i have no ill effects from it. I can't wait for this thing to reach 200,000 miles. 230,000 would be nice like my last Caddy.

·
Registered
ETC
34 Posts
PF.....Ask your dealer service writer to give you a copy of the GM VIS report. This shows all GM recall, safety, warranty, and most GM service work done on your car. Look at the sticker on the under side of the spare tire cover, write down all the 3-character codes (watch the "1" and "I") and enter them into (removed to post) to find out what RPO (Regular Production Options) are in your car. The tire sticker speed rating info on the driver's door gives the speed limiter rating for the car.....S is 112, H is 130, and W/Z is 150+.

BTW.......the driver's heated seat crapped out in March. I'll do that this summer.
Ok Im more confused now than ever. what color is my car!

Printed from cadillacfaq

RPO Code Explanation/Description

AK5 ESTRAINT SYSTEM SEAT, INFLATABLE, DRIVER & PASS

E2F DELIVERY SYS FORECAST HOLES (E/K/V-TRK CKST)

KG9 GENERATOR 140 AMP

TL4 GRILLE PAINTED

15I INTERIOR TRIM GRAY MONTANA (97) (BRAZIL)

15I INTERIOR TRIM SHALE (I) (95)

15I INTERIOR TRIM SHALE/NEUTRAL (I) (97)

15I INTERIOR TRIM COPPER OPEL (99)

15I INTERIOR TRIM SLATE GRAY (98) (HOLDENS)

CJ2 HVAC SYSTEM AIR CONDITIONER FRT, AUTO TEMP CONT, AUX TEMP CONT

IP5 TRIM INTERIOR DESIGN (P5)

N26 WHEEL 16 X 7, ALUMINUM, CHROME, 7 SPOKE

V73 VEHICLE STATEMENT USA/CANADA

AL2 SEAT, POWER LUMBAR

E2M DELIVERY SYS POPULAR CONFIGURATIONS THAT FALL BELOW THE MIN (E/K/V-TRK CKST)

LHD VEHICLE DRIVE LEFTHAND DRIVE

UE1 COMMUNICATION SYSTEM VEHICLE, G.P.S. 1

155 TRIM COMBINATION LEATHER, SHALE (5) (95)

155 TRIM COMBINATION CLOTH, SHALE/NEUTRAL (5) (97)

155 TRIM COMBINATION LEATHER, SHALE/NEUTRAL (5) (97)

DA7 ST FRT SEAT, LH

JL4 OL ACTIVE BRAKE

N30 STEERING WHEEL DELUXE

WJ7 OVERRIDE INTERIOR *LEATHER* (TO BE USED BY ALL USERS BEGINNING 1997 MODEL YR)

AR9 EAT FRT BKT, DELUXE

E2P DELIVERY SYS POPULAR CONFIGURATIONS (E/K/V-TRK CKST)

L37 ENGINE GAS, 8 CYL, 4.6L, MFI, V8, HO, DOHC

VM5 LABEL INFORMATION CONSUMER, CONTAINS BPR IMP STANDARD FOR FRT 2.5 MPH & RR 2.5 MPH

54U PRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, SUNFIRE YELLOW (02)

54U PRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, LT BRONZEMIST MET (02)

54U PRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, TAXI YELLOW (02) HOLDEN

54U PRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, COLIMA GREY MET (04) (BRAZIL)

DD0 MIRROR O/S LH & RH, REMOTE CONTROL, ELECTRIC, HEATED, LT SENSITIVE

JL9 BRAKE SYSTEM PWR, FRT & RR DISC, ANTILOCK, FRT & RR WHL

OLF PLANT CODE LANSING, MI, USA (CRAFT CENTER)

YM5 STRIPE ACCENT - DELETE

A45 SEAT ADJUSTER, MIRROR, POWER, DRIVER, PERSONALIZATION

FE3 SUSPENSION SYSTEM SPORT

MH1 TRANSMISSION AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4T80-E, ELECTRONIC CONV CLUTCH

UQ4 SPEAKER SYSTEM 4, BASE

6LR COMPONENT FRT LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (6LR)

DD7 MIRROR I/S R/V LT SENSITIVE, COMPASS

KA1 R SEAT, FRT

QQX TIRE ALL P235/60R16 BW R/PE ST TL AL3

YP4 MERCHANDISED PKG CADILLAC ELDORADO MONOCHROMATIC TOURING COUPE

BA5 NTATION EXTR, CUSTOM

FE9 CERTIFICATION EMISSION, FEDERAL

MX0 MERCHANDISED TRANS AUTO PROVISIONS, O/D

UY9 CLUSTER KILO & MILES, MECHANICAL DISPLAY

7LR COMPONENT FRT RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (7LR)

B19 NTATION INTR, CUSTOM

FV4 RATIO TRANSAXLE FINAL DRIVE 3.71

NF2 EMISSION SYSTEM FEDERAL, TIER 1

UZF ALARM B/U ELECTRICAL,

8AH COMPONENT RR LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (8AH)

CE1 SYSTEM WINDSHIELD, PULSE, MOISTURE SENSITIVE

F45 S CONTINUOUSLY VARIABLE REAL TIME DAMPING

NG5 TRATION EMISSION, CERTIFICATION, FIFTY STATE (50)

VJ6 SE PLATE RR POCKET, DELUXE

9AH COMPONENT RR RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (9AH)

It is a strange color every one I ask says somthing different.
Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts