Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I replaced the coolant I replaced the thermostat and gasket and it blew the gasket as soon as it opened. Does the rubber gasket go around the thermostat or does is get in grove on engine side with thermostat over it then housing? The thermostat came from the dealer and it is very long. It seams to bottom out in the engine housing no matter which way i turn it. It appears to bottom out and compress the spring a little as you tighten it. Does it matter how ithe thermostat sets in teh engine housing or am i just paranoid?

·
Registered
298 Posts
On my '93 4.9 the rim of the stat fits into the groove in the gasket inner diameter then is set into the housing with the button side down. IOW, you fit the gasket to the stat then install as an assembly.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
DFBonnett said:
On my '93 4.9 the rim of the stat fits into the groove in the gasket inner diameter then is set into the housing with the button side down. IOW, you fit the gasket to the stat then install as an assembly.
I think DFBonnett is right. That's how I did it on my Northstar also. The gasket fits around the rim of the thermostat, then the whole thing goes in. It does bottom out and push up the thermostat outlet a little bit. Nothing to worry about. Just tighten it down as specified and it will be fine. If the gasket is just sitting on top of the thermostat, pressure could force it out of the gap as you've seen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is a 1998 eldorado. I got it right the third time. I should have seached the forum before i tried it as there are prvious threads about this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts