Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 319 Posts

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
Re: Bars Leak Head Gasket

delzy said:
rfishing,

You are a complete and utter idiot. Please spend your time on the Mercedes forum. I try to keep up on this board and everytime yours is the most recent post, I don't come back for days. PLEASE LEAVE NOW!! :thepan: <- You
Delzy - there is a nice ignore feature of the board that you can use. I have several people on my ignore list for various reasons. You can put me on your ignore list if I'm annoying. If you want to ignore all posts by rfishing, just click here and you will see them no more:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=27020

No need to avoid the board because of one person! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
161 Posts

Okeedoke...here's the most recent update...

I hit the recommended 400 miles of travel on my way home from work Wednesday night. Car ran great for the 10 days or so I had the product in the system with no visible signs of coolant loss, hard starting or steaming.

On Thursday, we luckilly had some warmer (50 deg) weather and it was dry. I flushed and flushed and flushed, and then flushed the coolant system some more to remove as much of the thermagasket as possible. Not to belabor the point more than it needs to be, but it is darn near impossible to get everything out of the system because it seems like 4 quarts of fluid or so always remains in there. Anyway, when I thought I was close, I refilled with water, closed her up and drove for about 10 mins just to try and get everything mixed up really well. Flushed one last time. I'm pretty sure I have one of the cleanest 120K coolant systems on the planet right now :yup:

Refilled with an 80/20 Dex & distilled water mix and three supplement tabs at upper hose. Sure enough, the system took about 2 gallons to refill. By my math, figuring 4.5 quarts of latent pure water in the system , I should now be close to a 50/50 overall mix of water and coolant. Drove the car some more to make sure all the air was out. All OK. Drove again today and everything is good. Smooth start, no steam and coolant at the proper level in the surge tank.

I can see some of the tiny metallic pieces suspended in the coolant in the surge tank, so I know I wasn't able to remove all of it. I doubt this will cause a problem. I think the main concern would have been the other 'part' of the thermagasket mix. I'm pretty sure I'll be OK and maybe the small amount of the metallic particles will help the newly sealed area if it starts to go with colder weather.

If anyone has any questions for me, post and I'll reply. To this point, it seems to be working for me. Again, I can't predict how long this will last. Maybe a week - maybe a year...who knows?

Thermagasket apparently made a mistake and sent me an additional package of this stuff a couple days ago. Doesn't look like they billed me. I don't need another batch, so if anyone wants it for 1/2 price + $9 postage, I'll gladly part ways with it and save us both a little money in the process.

·
Registered
25 Posts

sjwoodruff said:
Thermagasket apparently made a mistake and sent me an additional package of this stuff a couple days ago. Doesn't look like they billed me. I don't need another batch, so if anyone wants it for 1/2 price + $9 postage, I'll gladly part ways with it and save us both a little money in the process.
I was ordering my Thermagasket on Monday so I'd be really glad to discuss it with you :D which set did they send you? how do I get in touch with you?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

Thank you SJwoodruff for your explicit post. I have a friend that I am trying to contact about replacing my head gasket, and doing open and inspect as well. If he is reluctant, then I would consider purchasing from you. However I do see "Paintedally" is interested, so I withdraw my interest. Good luck Paintedally, I hope you will post your results on here as well. Please let everyone know how the thermagasket is holding up in a week or two SJwoodruff. Seems a lot interest in this case.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

Update:

My wife took car for drive onto the highway, claims she did about 80 before realising her speed, then slowed down. It was about 20 minutes each way from home. When she got home I noticed coolant on the driveway, and sure enough it is coming out the overflow hose. After letting the car cool down, I added coolant, but the coolant is slowly flowing back out the overflow after warming up. BARS LEAK SUPPLEMENTAL TABS only worked for about 2 weeks.

So that study is completed, and BARS Leak Tabs failed as predicted.

I am undecided about replacing the head gasket now because my friend with the tools is an hour drive away through mountains, and engine is leaking to severe for that distance. If I try the Therma Gasket or other similar product, I will keep updating with results.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

Is your car still running good? How fast have you driven on the highway with the thermagasket? My car is dead in the driveway, coolant runs out the overflow hose soon as I start it up. Fortunately its a back up car right now, so I am following your progress before trying the ThermaGasket.

·
1,164 Posts

rfishing said:
BARS LEAK SUPPLEMENTAL TABS only worked for about 2 weeks. So that study is completed, and BARS Leak Tabs failed as predicted.
Your little "study" is what failed because you put the tabs in the tank instead of the hose. Whether you ground them up or stirred up the tank makes no difference. There is little or no flow through the pressure tank, and the stuff you mixed in is probably settled somewhere doing nothing. You made an assumption that it ws in the system, as you admitted in a previous post. That's a very poor testing methodology. You can't say the stuff doesn't work until you apply it correctly. You failed to do so, and therefore your results are invalid.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

mcowden said:
Your little "study" is what failed because you put the tabs in the tank instead of the hose. Whether you ground them up or stirred up the tank makes no difference. There is little or no flow through the pressure tank, and the stuff you mixed in is probably settled somewhere doing nothing. You made an assumption that it ws in the system, as you admitted in a previous post. That's a very poor testing methodology. You can't say the stuff doesn't work until you apply it correctly. You failed to do so, and therefore your results are invalid.
Interesting observation. I meant, that from what I read on here, the bars leak tabs probably would not work for a blown headgasket anyway. Do you feel they would work if applied properly at the radiator hose? For blown head gasket, I am more inclined to think this other stuff (head gasket repair in a bottle) would do a better job.

Also, if it is accumulated at the bottom of the pressure tank, how do I get it out?

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts

rfishing said:
Interesting observation...Also, if it is accumulated at the bottom of the pressure tank, how do I get it out?
in the shop manual, the instruction for coolant replacement, calls for taking the tank out, and washing it, then putting it back in, prior to refilling.

If you do the liquid headgasket repair posted here, you will apparently need to refill the system at some point. You can do that then.

Worst case scenario, the return line gets clogged with the ground up ginger root (you put plenty) and the car overheats.

My radiator side tank cracked in multiple places, and it was losing about 1 cup of coolant or maybe more for every short trip. I finally purchased a new radiator and replaced it, along with new coolant and the supplement.

Prior to replacing it, during the week the ordeal lasted, the supplement started to work, reducing the leak by 2/3. You could see it coming out of the radiator cracks.

It may "help" a headgasket. Problem that I see, is that it's just ground up ginger root. If it's already around the gaskets then maybe the permaseal or whatever the repair gasket stuff in the bottle is, may attach to it, instead of to the gasket itself. Who knows. It's all a test. I really hope it works for you.

I was fortunate my car did not overheat, because I discovered the leak while I was checking tire pressures.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,474 Posts

rfishing said:
Interesting observation. I meant, that from what I read on here, the bars leak tabs probably would not work for a blown headgasket anyway. Do you feel they would work if applied properly at the radiator hose?
NO.

·
1,164 Posts

rfishing said:
Interesting observation. I meant, that from what I read on here, the bars leak tabs probably would not work for a blown headgasket anyway. Do you feel they would work if applied properly at the radiator hose?
Absolutely not. I'm just pointing out that your Bar's Leaks study is invalid, and I don't want people to think Bar's Leaks is useless based on your results. It does work to seal up tiny seepages. It does not work to seal up head gasket breaches.

·
Registered
1996 STS
1,489 Posts

raymondk said:
I ran Bars leak for over two years in my 93 Eldorado N* for a leaking core plug. Problem was every time I ran it hard it started leaking again. Last week it blew a chunk out and wont reseal so now I gots to pull it.

BINGO. This is the key thing to remember.

All of these products IMO are just bandaids. You cant beat on the engine after using these products successfully.

It may sound like a low down thing to do, but the best thing to do if you do get a seal is to take it and trade it in.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Still holding up for me. Weather here has been moderate, and it's actually about 70F today. It will be interesting to see what happens when its down around 10F or so.

I haven't been too eager to do any WOT. I have had to merge hard a couple of times on the freeway and took the engine up near 6000 RPM, but nothing extended. Probably due to years of driving manual sports cars, I find myself blipping down into 3rd and 2nd to slow the car, especially coming off the freeway. When I first had my issues, this would result in a nice smelly cloud of white smoke upon reacceleration. Currently, this doesn't occur. I usually drive 65-70 on the freeway, which puts the RPM's around 2000-2200.

I checked the coolant level yesterday morning, and it was right where it's supposed to be. Car is getting great mpg, and is running very well. I'll be happy if this takes me through the winter and into spring. If it lasts longer, then great. I have my eye on a sweet Sterling Silver '02 SLS with 35K for about $13,500 right now, but I really love my STS. It's just so damn clean and well-maintained (now that I own it). I think I'm leaning toward keeping it, fixing the headgaskets professionally if they go, and driving it until the '05 STS is a little more palatable to my wallet.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

You took the car to 6000 rpms and it the Therma Gasket and Head Gasket held, I am impressed with that alone!

I inquired with support at RXauto.com, and they told them my situation with coolant coming out the overflow soon as engine runs warm. They told me to check the Equalizing line going from overflow tank to under manifold. I pulled it off, and out of curriousity blew into it, there was no resistance, and soon as I blew coolant came out of the nipple on the overflow tank where I took the small hose off. Next I squeezed the upper radiator hose, it was mostly empty, but soon as I squeezed it, coolant once again came out of the nipple. Then I started engine cold (been sitting a few days) and coolant came out of the small hose.

I ran engine at 195 degrees for a few minutes, upper hose got hot and firm. Coolant is not coming out of the overflow hose anymore when engine is warm, and I am curious as to why it stopped overflowing. Could it be the Bars Leak disolved over a few days (if it was obstructing the equalizing hose), or the bars leak softened the head gasket enough to stop the pressure?

Glad to hear yours is still holding tight.

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts

Mr.mcowden is right Mr. rfishing.

I am not sure Mr. rfishing if you don't comprehend what you are doing, or if you are ignoring every post but those you wish to acknowledge. but the bottom line is Mr. rfishing your copycat experiment makes unconditionally no valid point. In absolute stark contrast, the experiment done by Mr. sjwoodruff was well documented and provides the layman with a little something to expect from his product trail. At the very least, Mr. sjwoodruff followed the product instructions, something Mr. rfishing never bothered himself to attempt.

The results from testing by Mr. rfishing compared to those from Mr. sjwoodruff is like the contrast of Moe Howard and Albert Einstein.There is no contest of thought.

Thank you very much for your time and effort Mr. sjwoodruff and please keep us informed of any change.

·
1,164 Posts

rfishing said:
I ran engine at 195 degrees for a few minutes, upper hose got hot and firm. Coolant is not coming out of the overflow hose anymore when engine is warm, and I am curious as to why it stopped overflowing. Could it be the Bars Leak disolved over a few days (if it was obstructing the equalizing hose), or the bars leak softened the head gasket enough to stop the pressure?
Glad to hear yours is still holding tight.
It's good to know that if we need to know what hot and firm feels like, you can tell us. Bar's Leaks dissolves in very short order. It's already dissolved and probably still sitting at the bottom of the pressure tank like it has been since you put it there twice, despite instructions to the contrary. Bar's Leaks doesn't soften anything, least of all a head gasket. All it does is shrink when wet and expand when dry, which is why it helps seal tiny seepages in cooling systems. It will do nothing to help your breached head gasket, as you've been told from the beginning. Good luck with your Mercedes.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

Just so you guys know, the Bars Leak product instructions say to add it in there.

Does not say to place in hose. My study is still valid, and if it were clogging up the bottom of the tank, then why does the coolant flow out the top nipple when I blow thru the small hose? And why does coolant flow out the small hose when engine is running, if tank was clogged up?

Im not a mechanic, but to bad mouth me and not answer the questions logically is not helping anyone.

·
1,164 Posts

rfishing said:
Just so you guys know, the Bars Leak product instructions say to add it in there.

Does not say to place in hose. My study is still valid, and if it were clogging up the bottom of the tank, then why does the coolant flow out the top nipple when I blow thru the small hose? And why does coolant flow out the small hose when engine is running, if tank was clogged up?

Im not a mechanic, but to bad mouth me and not answer the questions logically is not helping anyone.
I'm reasonably sure the instructions don't say to put it in your pressure tank. They probably say to put it under the "radiator cap," which is not the same thing as the pressure tank cap. I could be wrong, but you can clear this up real quick by posting EXACTLY what the instructions say to do.

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts

mcowden said:
I'm reasonably sure the instructions don't say to put it in your pressure tank. They probably say to put it under the "radiator cap," which is not the same thing as the pressure tank cap. I could be wrong, but you can clear this up real quick by posting EXACTLY what the instructions say to do.
You are 100% correct sir!

41 - 60 of 319 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.