Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: Bars Leak Head Gasket

After mixing the bars leak that was in the pressure tank and taking car out for 20min drive, I no longer see any bars leak in the pressure tank. I can only assume that it is in the coolant system engine now. Also, the coolant level has not dropped since adding bars leak, so I guess it is working although I have not taken a trip up mountain as of yet, just local driving so far.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Added 6 more bars leak tabs yesterday, they were crushed up and added to pressure tank. This morning pressure tank was full of antifreeze and no signs of gunking up of the bars leak. So far so good, will go to recheck for gas in coolant in a day or two.

·
Registered
88 CPE DV, 93 ELDO TOURING
168 Posts

I ran Bars leak for over two years in my 93 Eldorado N* for a leaking core plug. Problem was every time I ran it hard it started leaking again. Last week it blew a chunk out and wont reseal so now I gots to pull it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Have you thought about trying "Bars Leak Head Gasket", or Therma gasket, or Steal Seal, or one of the other similar products first? 2 years is great. Question for you, during those 2 years were able to drive up any mountains or steep inclines?
Its been one week now, and no coolant loss.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

sjwoodruff said:
Didn't know that about the heater core, I've kept the HVAC system off just in case. Apparently that isn't relevant, though. I'll have about 120 miles with this product as of tomorrow morning, so I'll probably flush then and refill with coolant.

Another cold morning today, and the car started and idled as smooth as new - no steam at all in the exhaust.

Just wondering if that therm gasket is holding up still? And if so, have you driven up any hills or strained the engine since putting it in?

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts

sjwoodruff said:
Didn't know that about the heater core, I've kept the HVAC system off just in case. Apparently that isn't relevant, though. I'll have about 120 miles with this product as of tomorrow morning, so I'll probably flush then and refill with coolant.

Another cold morning today, and the car started and idled as smooth as new - no steam at all in the exhaust.
Keep us informed sjwoodruff

·
Registered
161 Posts

Well - I live in Central Ohio, so I can't really comment on the hill question since it's quite flat here.

It's supposed to get down into the upper 30's here this week, but I'm still trying to hold out until I've run the car 400 miles with the product in the system. I've got about 250 miles now. Maybe by Wednesday night, I'll be able to refill with coolant mix and see what the results are. So far, all seems to be OK. It's chilly and damp here now, so a little visible exhaust at start up is expected. If I still had the leak, I'd expect to be belching white, steamy exhaust and so far, that isn't the case. I'll repost later this week after I have a few trips with the proper coolant mix in the system.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

sjwoodruff said:
Forgot to ask... Everyone please wish me luck...Ha!
I will do better then wish you luck, I will say a prayer.

By the way, good luck!

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe, 2009 Black Navigator
5,032 Posts

This is a very interesting project. You got my attention. I also want to know the outcome so please continue to post. Good Luck.

·
Registered
161 Posts

It's been pretty chilly here the last five days, getting into the low 40's and mid 30's at night. I barely slept last night, because I was worried about a frozen cooling system this morning - never got below 36 though (whew).

I'll be at 400 miles on Wednesday night. I plan to drain on Thursday morning (day off) and refill with Dex mix. Hopefully my heater core isn't mucked up from this stuff, and as it gets colder the seal holds. So far, so good - 10 days and counting.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

sjwoodruff said:
It's been pretty chilly here the last five days, getting into the low 40's and mid 30's at night. I barely slept last night, because I was worried about a frozen cooling system this morning - never got below 36 though (whew).

I'll be at 400 miles on Wednesday night. I plan to drain on Thursday morning (day off) and refill with Dex mix. Hopefully my heater core isn't mucked up from this stuff, and as it gets colder the seal holds. So far, so good - 10 days and counting.
Sounds like that stuff is really working good for you. I may give it a try as well, especially since I am not able to find anyone to overhaul the engine. Please keep posting, and I will keep praying for your success.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts

rfishing said:
Sounds like that stuff is really working good for you. I may give it a try as well, especially since I am not able to find anyone to overhaul the engine. Please keep posting, and I will keep praying for your success.
Where in the US are you?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Update:

I wound up buying another car, but still have the 94sts. Basically, still waiting to find out if SJWoodsruff is successful because I doubt the BARs Leak supplement tabs will hold for more than a few months. I have yet to attempt driving up the mountains since adding tabs. My local driving with car is good, no coolant loss so far that way.

I do not give out my address on internet.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts

rfishing said:
I do not give out my address on internet.
There's been a couple of instances where forum members who have done headgaskets are willing to help other members--that's why I asked.

I would think putting barsleak into the coolant reservoir tank would end up clogging it. There isn't much flow there, but then again just an educated opinion.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2000 Dev, 94 FW (crushed), 96 FW Limo (sold), 95 SLS (sold)
367 Posts

rfishing,

You are a complete and utter idiot. Please spend your time on the Mercedes forum. I try to keep up on this board and everytime yours is the most recent post, I don't come back for days. PLEASE LEAVE NOW!! :thepan: <- You

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Delzy,

You bashing is not productive. I have facts to share with others about GM products. If you are a GM representative, then make me a cash deal, and I might go away. Otherwise dont bother posting in this message.

By the way, it would seem your the idiot, as this is a survey about Head Gasket Leaks, and not a hate thread. Keep your anger to yourself, some others might learn from this study about head gasket repair in a bottle that we are doing. Might I suggest you go to the anger management forum.

By the way, I am on MB Forums for my other car as I should be on both. I do not post questions here about MB products, only Cadillac.

So on that note: DELZY stop reading these messages!

·
Registered
25 Posts

Delzy.. You are the one who needs off here; there is no need for that kind of post! I have a 98 Deville with a head gasket issue, and have followed this thread daily, I need the help as well as the input. I don’t have the cash to go and have my Deville repaired. I’ll buy the Thermagasket instead of Steelseal ( Monday) because of the discussions and positive posts here, because of people like SJWoodsruff and rfishing discussing this topic like adults I feel comfortable as a female listening to them. I have fixed my ignition, my shocks and a couple of other issues myself thanks to this forum and those who take time out of their busy lives to post here and answer our questions.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

Thank you, Its nice to know someone might benefit from this study. If one person benefits, then it is a worth while cause.

21 - 40 of 319 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.