Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,999 Posts
If you're trying to remedy what you think is a blown head gasket, according to my engine building experience and 2 years of similar posts in here, you're SOL.

The GM recommended Bar's tablets or #12 powder are for assembly nuisance drips and block porosity sealing. Not gasket repair.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,624 Posts
Mechanic in a bottle will not fix a bad head gasket. Do a search and read Rfishings lengthy post.

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey I Tried Themagasket Today And It Seems To Be Working. No Leaking Coolant No Hi Temps Check Engine Light Went Off. The Stuff Looks Like It Works For Now

·
Super Moderator
86,624 Posts
I really hate to say this, but don't get your hopes too high. It's only temporary.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe, 2009 Black Navigator
5,032 Posts
All statements are true so now since you have some time on your hands(no car to fix) it will help you to do as Ranger instructed on reading Rfishings lengthy post. It might help you incase of future issues.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
itll work for maybe a weak
snake oil only clogs a lifted head for so long before it does more damage to the rest of the cooling system then you bargained for...

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
I used it on September 23, 2010 and have driven thousands of miles already and not one time has it overheated on me. I was also skeptical, and so was my mechanic.. He actually LAUGHED at me.. Well, guess what... He just used it on a customers truck and was completely impressed. Especially after he and his employee's all laughed because I was going to use it. AWESOME PRODUCT!

And even if it only is a temporary fix, it sure has lasted quite a while, and if it happens again.. I will use the other half that I got.. BUY IT!

Email me if you have any questions. I am located in Kansas City..
My email is my username at gmail

I really hate to say this, but don't get your hopes too high. It's only temporary.

·
Super Moderator
86,624 Posts
Give it some time. You've only used it for a month and a half. That stuff cannot fix pulled threads. Glad it is buying you some time, but it IS temporary. Please keep us updated even if/when it fails. It will be interesting to know how long it lasts.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
This always seems to happen w/ thermagasket... they come back immediately (or in a month or two) and say 'it worked!' then don't ever come back to say 'it's still working 9 months later!' (because they either sold the car or got it fixed and are ashamed to report back that we were right)

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
You know, I'm just gonna add to this phenomenon as well.

I don't believe in this crap any more than most of you. I mean, how can some liquid in a bottle fill a leak and retain 200psi compression? Not very logical.

Anyway, earlier this summer (July) my girlfriends brother's 160k mile 1998 Ford F150 4.6 was diagnosed with a bad headgasket. Typical frequent unexplained coolant loss, running warm. The mechanic gave him his options, including physically repairing the headgasket or trying Thermaseal, which the mechanic told him may or may not buy him time but customers have had success in the past.

Since he really doesn't care about the truck and doesn't find it to be worth shelling out the money for the HG replacement (she's getting rusty/OHC engine so labor is higher), he gave the Thermaseal a shot.

Lo and behold, similar to the claims in this thread, it worked. It's his DD transportation to work and hunting vehicle on the weekends. It's still chugging along just fine. When (not if) it fails again, he'll deal with it then. But for now, he's pretty happy with what he got out of it.

:shrug: I can't explain it. It still really doesn't make sense to me but you can't argue results. The stuff actually does well for what it is.

·
Super Moderator
86,624 Posts

·
Administrator
67,999 Posts
There you go, again. You are NOT supposed to explain black magic and wizardry.

.........the stuff is dirt cheap at Walgreen - we use it to seal woven silicate insulation tape on dry marine exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
I used it on September 23, 2010 and have driven thousands of miles already and not one time has it overheated on me. I was also skeptical, and so was my mechanic.. He actually LAUGHED at me.. Well, guess what... He just used it on a customers truck and was completely impressed. Especially after he and his employee's all laughed because I was going to use it. AWESOME PRODUCT!

And even if it only is a temporary fix, it sure has lasted quite a while, and if it happens again.. I will use the other half that I got.. BUY IT!

Email me if you have any questions. I am located in Kansas City..
My email is my username at gmail
Please stop emailing me. Here is my update-------> Thermagasket worked for ONE YEAR almost to the day, then it stopped working and head gasket breached again. My car is now JUNK. I have it listed for $1,000. and am willing to part it out. I WILL NOT RESPOND TO ANYMORE EMAILS, they will only get deleted.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
$1000 is too much to ask for a northstar with blown head gaskets unless it's really low miles and perfect condition
$500 is better but you'd probably get that much taking it to a scrap yard

----------

especially with all that junk in the cooling system those parts will also have to be replaced (probably)

·
Administrator
67,999 Posts
There is no chemical on earth that will remove sodium silicate once it reacts and sets hard. The entire engine (block, cylinder heads, any part of the cooling system) is now unrepairable and is pure junk.

That's why the stuff was used in the "Cash for Clunkers" program - once in an engine for 1 day or 1 year - whether the crankcase or cooling system - the engine is trash.

·
Registered
98 deville D'Elegance 86 Fiero 2m4 / 86 Fiero GT W/SBC
234 Posts
At least Mindy reported back with length of time it lasted. Guess got lucky lasting that long huh?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts