Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 Cadillac DeVille will not start. I bought the car a few months ago and have had to fix quite a few things as they keep going bad one by one. All was good until I was driving to work and the battery not charging message displayed on my dash...Then battery light and car died...Towed it home and had to order then replace alternator. Charged my battery and then the car started right back up nice and strong.
It ran for about a week then after pumping gas at the gas station, car would not start up again....
THEFT SYSTEM PROBLEM
CAR MAY NOT RESTART
Is displayed on dash.
I have already tried the 30 min relearn with key, and I have bypassed with resistor...CAR STILL WONT START
I have missed a week of work already and have no car. Please tell me how can I get my car started again right away????????

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
1,007 Posts
Our initial resistor bypass could be considered for funny video award. Had to redo it a couple of times over the years.

Check yours again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My keys resistor reads 7270 ohms and that comes up closest to VATS key #13 at 7500 ohms....According at the VATS key chart, minimum resistance for that key is 7200 ohms and max is 7820 ohms. I wired in a 7500 ohm resistor. Reads about 7.37 to 7.42 but still won't start...The first time I tried after putting resistor in, I got a few clicks from the starter, but no start...Now back to no sound at all...Battery is fully charged.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,295 Posts
7.37 Ohms to 7.42 Ohms or 7.37K Ohms to 7.42K Ohms. BIG difference.

·
Registered
1990 Fleetwood sedan
2 Posts
May not apply but I also have a security system problem that prevents restarting my 1990 Fleetwood. Shop manual says the system will reset after a three minute wait. Turn off ignition, remove key and open door to turn off timer which keeps windows and radio operative. I sometimes have to try it two or three times but it works on my car. Nevertheless a real pain. I wish I knew the solution. I need help too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
May not apply but I also have a security system problem that prevents restarting my 1990 Fleetwood. Shop manual says the system will reset after a three minute wait. Turn off ignition, remove key and open door to turn off timer which keeps windows and radio operative. I sometimes have to try it two or three times but it works on my car. Nevertheless a real pain. I wish I knew the solution. I need help too.
Thanks and I will give it a shot tonight. I just want the car to start. I am losing money everyday that it sits inoperative. Any ideas are always welcome

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Our problem in the past was with the transistor to wire connection.

Twist on wire caps would shake loose, soldered connections would fracture, eventually went to crimped connections to get a permanent, low resistance connection

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I am starting to wonder what is actually wrong with this DeVille. I checked the codes again on the onboard diagnostics and looked them all up. Here are the codes current:
IPC B1910 - Circuit malfunction from air bag diagnostic monitor (detected by BCM or PCM)

IPC B2750 - Pass Key Data Communication Failure

IPC U1016 - PCM unable to communicate with any other controller while ignition on

ACM U1255 - Class 2 Communications malfunction- lost communications

ACM U1016 - PCM unable to communicate with any other controller while ignition on

TCS C1255 - Electronic Brake Control Module EBCM, has internal electrical fault.

TCS C1276 - EBCM commanded state of driver and actual state do not match

TCS U1255
PZM U1255
RFA U1255
MMM U1016

Anyone ever have this happen? What is causing all the communication failures at once? When I put my key in, the security light flashes and theft system problem shows on dash. The Abs light stays on and Traction Control light stays on solid. OBD shows that there is NO PCM DATA.
PLEASE HELP BEFORE I SET FIRE TO THIS CAR. It's my only car to get to work and I have missed the last week already which means no money coming. I have a 2 year old daughter to take care of and THIS CAR WILL NOT START OR RUN
Thanks for any ideas or suggestions, similar experiences?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Sounds like a general wiring problem and possibly a ground problem. There are 1 or 2 wires linking the computers that carry the data signals. These also carry the error codes back to the computer so they can be covered and displayed as dtc's. They
If the remote modules are reporting in that they have lossed communication, then there is something wrong at the pcm side. If the pcm is reporting loss of communication with the remote modules, then wire harness is likely culprit.

Take a look at the computer wire harness and see if there is any problems (rodents). Disconnect and reconnect it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Perfect, where can I find the PCM module to check the harness? I did recently replace my alternator in this car like a few weeks ago, then had an issue again with the ground wire that runs to the alternator. Car would not start for a week until I cut and stripped that wire and put a brass ring terminal on it. Started right up. I don't understand though why the theft system activated and locked the car up after I pumped gas and got back in and car would not restart, theft system problem came up on display.

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Federal 6 door Limousine, 1996 DeVille Concours
8 Posts
I don't understand though why the theft system activated and locked the car up after I pumped gas and got back in and car would not restart, theft system problem came up on display.
For some reason the headlight switch/twilight sentinel, trunk release, fuel door release are tied into the vats system. Maybe pressing the button on the fuel door release caused an issue. Trying to figure out similar issue on my '96 it still starts but kills battery if left overnight. Only shared code I have with yours is B2750

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So today I cleaned up some ground wire connections, and unplugged the BCM under air box and plugged it back in. Put everything back together. CAR STARTED! It seemed to struggle to start up, then I noticed it is idling very rough, and about a minute later I looked behind my car and noticed smoke billowing from exhaust that looked white to me but maybe gray. What in the world is going on here??? Pretty sure the car didn't go into theft mode because of a possible head gasket problem??????? Nothing is adding up here...help!!??

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Federal 6 door Limousine, 1996 DeVille Concours
8 Posts
So today I cleaned up some ground wire connections, and unplugged the BCM under air box and plugged it back in. Put everything back together. CAR STARTED! It seemed to struggle to start up, then I noticed it is idling very rough, and about a minute later I looked behind my car and noticed smoke billowing from exhaust that looked white to me but maybe gray. What in the world is going on here??? Pretty sure the car didn't go into theft mode because of a possible head gasket problem??????? Nothing is adding up here...help!!??
As it has been several days without starting perhaps you have a slow seeping head gasket that wasn't noticeable while the car was regularly driven. Did the engine stop smoking after running for a few minutes? If so, did the idle get smoother after it stopped smoking?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It does not stop smoking after running for a few minutes and I don't want to cause damage by continuing to run it. Also, idle seems very high. My exhaust is loud to begin with, but now upon startup, sounds as if I had my foot on the gas. I cannot figure out why it's doing this

1 - 16 of 16 Posts